We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Heartburn is a painful condition with many different potential causes. This affliction causes a burning sensation in the chest that can prove very distressing to the sufferer, depending on its severity.
Heartburn usually manifests as gastric acid coming in contact with the esophagus; however, so-called functional heartburn has no discernible cause.
The typical treatment for heartburn involves the use of antacids. These effectively disrupt the stomach’s acidity, bringing relief to those suffering from the condition. Unfortunately, these over-the-counter treatments also increase one’s chances of developing kidney stones, constipation and even osteoporosis.
In contrast to the above, the home remedies in this article pose significantly less risk to your body while still giving relief from heartburn aching.
Some of the main triggers of heartburn are:
- Beverages containing carbohydrates in large amount
- Eating before bedtime
- Acidic juices
- Certain medications
- Hiatal hernia
- Fried, fatty and spicy foods
- Eating large portions of food
There are various symptoms of heartburn, like:
- Burning sensation in the lower chest
- Inflammation in the throat
- Tightness in the chest
- Pain in the neck and jaw
- Stomach discomfort
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Bitter or sour taste in mouth
- More pain when bend over or lie down
- Trouble in swallowing anything
Home Remedies to Treat Heart Burn
Instead of rushing to a doctor, just check your kitchen cabinet. It has all the ingredients that can cure heartburn. These home remedies are natural and have no side-effects.
1. Honey : Honey is a natural treatment for heartburn. As you feel the symptoms of heartburn, eat 1 tablespoon of honey. Alternatively, mix honey in chamomile tea and sip it slowly.
2. Almonds : Snack on 15-20 almonds. After half an hour, you will feel relief in the pain, caused due to heartburn. Almonds will completely vanish the burning sensation. To reduce the instances of heartburn, it is suggested to eat some almonds after every meal.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) : Mix 2 tablespoons of ACV into half cup of water or apple juice. Drink it after each meal. This will help to calm down the upset stomach and make heartburn go away.
4. Aloe Vera Juice : Aloe vera juice is the best remedy for treating really bad heartburn. It will remove the pain and inflammation. Make sure, you use only organic and fresh aloe vera juice.
5. Apple : An apple a day keeps the doctor away. This is absolutely right! Apple contains several beneficial properties. Eat apple for instant relief in heartburn. It neutralizes the acid in your tummy in just 4-5 minutes.
6. Banana : Banana is a natural home remedy for quick heartburn relief. Eat a banana to get rid of severe heartburn.
7. Baking Soda : Mix half spoon of baking soda in a glass, full of water. Drink it. This will provide fast relief in heartburn, originated due to acid reflux.
Note- If the heartburn appears regularly, avoid using baking soda. It is rich in salt and may result in side-effects, such as nausea and swelling.
8. Buttermilk : Drink chilled buttermilk. The buttermilk will relieve the pain and quickly stops heartburn.
9. Basil : Chew 3-4 basil leaves in order to avoid the burning pain within your chest. It is an effective remedy to fix heartburn.
10. Chewing Gum : Chewing a gum can be a very good option. Chewing gum really helps because it stimulates salivary flow rate. If you are allergic to peppermint, try other flavoured sugar- free chewing gums.
11. Chamomile Tea : People often drink chamomile tea to relieve their stress. Chamomile tea works like a charm when it comes to heartburn.
12. Cinnamon : Boil 1 cup water and add 1 tablespoon crushed cinnamon to it. Strain and drink. It will calm down the inflammation of heartburn.
13. Garlic : Chew a clove of garlic whenever you feel heartburn. Alternatively, soak some garlic cloves in apple cider vinegar. Drink it. It will relieve the heartburn fast.
14. Fennel Seeds : Fennel seeds can be a good option if you do not have cinnamon in your kitchen. Boil a cup of water and add 2 tablespoons of fennel seeds in it. Boil it for 10 minutes. Allow it to cool, then strain it and drink. It is a herbal remedy to do away with severe heartburn.
15. Ginger : Add one tablespoon of ginger juice to 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Mix it together and add 8 oz. of lukewarm water and 2 tablespoon of honey. Stir the mixture well. Drink this mixture. Else, drink ginger tea. You can also consume it raw or cooked. It is one of the oldest remedies to alleviate heartburn.
16. Mustard : Take 1 tablespoon of yellow mustard, followed with half glass of water. Yellow mustard works surprisingly to cure acid reflux.
17. Grapes : Grape is a very good home remedy to deal with the digestion problems. Whenever you feel the pain, just eat 15-20 grapes.
18. Potato : Take the juice of one potato and add an equal amount of water in it. Stir well and drink it right away. Do not keep it for a long time as it works best in its fresh state.
19. Pineapple : Drink pineapple juice after having a meal. Pineapple juice will prevent the heartburn from reappearing.
20. Peppermint : Peppermint oil is very useful in indigestion and for upset stomach. Take 8 oz of water and add 2 drops of peppermint oil in it. Mix it well and drink.
Note- Avoid this remedy if you are allergic to peppermint.
21. Licorice : Studies have found that licorice can be very helpful for upset stomach. Eat a small amount of licorice but do not swallow it immediately. Let it mix with your saliva because it works best when mixed with saliva. Try this home remedy and see the wonders.
22. Milk : If you experience heartburn rarely, then this home remedy can help you out. Drink a glass full of chilled milk. This will help to ease out the pain and is the best treatment for heartburn.
23. Sage : Drinking a cup of sage tea can also helps. Sage contains soothing elements, which will provide respite from heart burn and stomach ache.
24. Water : Water does a great work in diminishing the instances of heartburn. All you got to do is drink a glass of chilled water.
25. Vegetable Juice : Vegetable juices, such as celery, raw potato and cabbage are very effecting in curing the acidity in the stomach. These juices are alkaline and neutralizes acidity.
26. Turmeric : Turmeric is a good remedy for several ailments, including heartburn. Use turmeric while cooking food. You can also take turmeric capsules before having meals.
27. Slippery Elm : Slippery elm is a herbal remedy for curing heartburn that is being used from centuries. Take a cup of hot water and add 1 tsp of slippery elm powder to it. Drink it several times a day.
Homeopathic Remedies for Heart Burn
Besides home remedies, you can also count on homeopathic remedies for getting relief from heart burn. Here are some homeopathic remedies that can help you out.
1. Nux vomica : Nux vomica helps in treating indigestion and severe acidity.
2. Carbo vegetabilis : Carbo vegetabilis is used in the cases of heartburn, which is accompanied by heaviness in the chest and stomach, bloating, and belching.
3. Pulsatilla : Pulsatilla helps to moisten the mouth, and reduce the intensity of pain.
4. Ipecac : Ipecac is used when heartburn is characterized with excessive flatulence, vomiting or nausea. This remedy is also suitable for pregnant women.
5. Calcaria carb : Calcaria carb is given when patient suffers from heartburn, burning sensation in the stomach, and vomiting. Other homeopathic medicines are Arsenic album, Phosphorous, Aesculus hip, Staphisagria, Ferrum met, and Natrum phos.
How to Prevent Heart Burn?
Here are a few tips to prevent the risk of heartburn.
- Schedule a balanced diet for yourself.
- Try managing your weight. Lose some weight, if needed.
- Quit the smoking.
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
- Consume caffeine in small quantity.
- Avoid acidic foods, junk foods, chocolates, and carbonated beverages.
- Do not consume too much allopathic medicines.
- Do not take too much stress.
- Take a walk after having your meal.
- Avoid wearing skin fit clothes.
- Do not rush into finishing your meal. Eat slowly.
- Sleep on the right side. Studies show that people, who sleep on the right side, have more complaints of heartburn in comparison to those, who sleep on the left side.