Acid reflux is a term given to a phenomenon when the stomach acid flows upwards in the oesophagus, resulting in what is commonly known as heartburn. Acid reflux is scientifically called as gastro-oesophageal reflux disease or GERD. Due to a drastic change in eating habits, it has become very common in people now-a-days. Acid reflux can be treated with several over-the-counter antacids available in the market, but it can also be treated with natural home remedies.
- Excess intake of fatty foods
- Alcoholic drinks
- Lying down soon after eating
- Burning sensation in the chest
- Bloody stools or vomiting
- Dysphagia – when the oesophagus becomes narrow
- Loss of weight
- Dry cough or sore throat
Home Remedies for Acid Reflux
Let’s see some of the natural home remedies of acid reflux that can be easily tried at home.
1. Chewing Gum
Chewing gum is a good remedy to take for acid reflux as it accelerates the flow of saliva, thereby washing out any extra acid that is accumulated in the gut. It relieves the symptoms of acid reflux.
2. Aloe Vera
Sip down some aloe vera juice to get instant relief from heartburn as aloe is very soothing for upset stomach. It reduces the inflammation caused in the oesophagus. It is recommended to drink half cup of aloe vera juice before taking the meal.
You can also take tea made from licorice root, which is highly soothing and beneficial in treating acid reflux. A thin layer of mucus is formed in the lining of oesophagus, which protects it from the acids, coming up from the stomach.
4. Slippery Elm
This is one of the best herbal remedies to treat acid reflux. You can suck a slippery elm lozenge in order to get relief from chronic heartburn. It also gives relief from cough and throat ache, caused due to acid reflux.
5. Baking Soda
Add ½ teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water. Drink it. It helps a lot in neutralizing the effect of acidity, caused in the stomach. But, make sure not to use it for chronic heartburn as it is high in salt content.
6. Holy Basil Leaves (Tulsi)
Simply chewing fresh tulsi leaves gives a quick relief from acid reflux symptoms.
7. Carrot Juice
A cup of carrot juice works well to give an instant relief from acid reflux. You can also drink cabbage juice.
Crush some ginger and take out its juice and mix some lemon juice in it. Drink this mixture. This is one of the best remedies to stop acid reflux fast. Else, mix crushed ginger with a small piece of jaggery. Suck it till the juice reaches your stomach. It will instantly lower the acid reflux, providing you relief.
9. Indian Gooseberry (Amla)
Eat raw amla. It is one of the best cures for acid reflux. You can add a pinch of salt to it for taste. It improves digestion and therefore, prevents acid reflux.
Take a spoonful of honey before you go to bed at night. Honey is really soothing and helps in neutralizing the acidity, caused in the stomach. It is good to prevent acid reflux at night.
You can also eat papaya in order to get relief from acid reflux. Papaya contains enzymes, which is helpful in the digestion process.
Soak some fenugreek seeds in water and drink it after some time. Fenugreek seeds are a good remedy to get immediate relief for acid reflux.
13. Agrimony or Stickwort
It is a very good herb to treat acid reflux. You can take it with milk to cure acid reflux symptoms.
It is an effective herbal remedy for the treatment of acid reflux as it naturally cures the stomach lining while reducing the symptoms of acid reflux.
15. German Chamomile
It is a very useful herb for treating acid reflux as it quickly gives relief from heartburn.
16. Fennel Seeds
Munch on few fennel seeds in order to get a quick relief from acid reflux.
17. Wood Betony
This herb washes out excess acid from the stomach while also improving digestion.
18. Eat Raw Almonds
Raw almonds are a good source of calcium and help a lot in curing the problem of acid reflux.
19. Apple Cider Vinegar
Mix 1-2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in some honey and drink this mixture in order to get relief from acid reflux.
20. Lemon Juice
Mix some lemon juice in a cup of lukewarm water and drink it on an empty stomach early in the morning to relieve the symptoms of acid reflux. It maintains a proper balance of acidic level in the stomach and therefore, prevents acid reflux.
Take two cardamoms and grind them. Now, add 250 ml water to them and boil for 13-15 minutes. Strain and drink the water. It will definitely help you to get rid of acid reflux.
In order to reduce the discomfort caused due to acid reflux, chew some cloves.
Drink chilled milk to get instant relief from acid reflux.
24. Black Pepper
Black pepper stimulates the digestion process. Therefore, add it to your food. Alternatively, grind some black pepper. Mix some rock salt as per your taste. Take ½ teaspoon with water in the morning and evening, after having meals. It is extremely beneficial in removing acid reflux.
25. Coriander and Cumin Seeds
Mix and grind an equal amount of sugar candy, coriander seeds and cumin seeds. Take 2 teaspoon with cool water after having meals, twice a day. It helps in complete removal of acid reflux.
Bananas possess high pH values. It stimulates the inner lining of belly to secrete more mucous, thereby decreasing the acid reflux.
27. Mint Leaves
Take some mint leaves and chop them. Add them to the boiling water. Drink the water when it gets cooled. It is an effective home treatment for acid reflux.
Homeopathic Remedies for Acid Reflux
1. Arsenicum album : This remedy is usually taken when there is a chronic pain in the stomach due to acid reflux. It is also accompanied by an acute pain in the throat. Symptoms, like diarrhea, can also appear. This medicine will stop acid reflux pain.
2. Pulsatilla : When the person feels an acute burning sensation in the stomach, this remedy is very useful. There is also a feeling of stuffiness after taking the meals.
3. Phosphorus : When acid reflux is accompanied by symptoms, such as bloating, burning pain in the abdomen along with a feeling of fullness in the stomach and vomiting, this remedy can be taken.
4. Nux vomica : This remedy is helpful when there is bloating, stomach ache, nausea, burning and belching due to acid reflux.
5. Carbo vegetabilis : When there is a feeling of heaviness in the stomach and chest, along with bloating and belching, this remedy is recommended.
Preventive Measures to Avoid Acid Reflux
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Decrease your intake of fatty and spicy foods.
- Chew your food properly.
- Avoid caffeine and citrus fruits.
- Avoid over-eating.
- Drink lots of water.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol
- Slightly elevate the head of your bed.
- Don’t lie down on the bed, just after having a meal.
- Exercise daily.
- If you are overweight, try to lose your weight.
- Avoid wearing tight clothes.