Often referred to as “Queen of Spices”, turmeric is an orange-coloured spice, which is extensively produced in India. Ayurvedic and Chinese medication uses and utilizes turmeric excessively to cure various health issues. Turmeric is rich in antioxidant, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral, anti-mutagenic, anti-carcinogenic, and anti-inflammatory properties, which makes it a useful antidote for health, skin and beauty problems.
1. Averts Cancer : Manifold researchers have found that turmeric has some active components, which prevent prostate cancer, and even destroy the cells of prostate cancer. It also helps in stopping the growth of existing prostate cancer. Turmeric is also beneficial for the prevention and treatment of the cervical cancer.
2. Relieves Arthritis : Turmeric is effective in treating both rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties present in turmeric destroy the free radicals that harm the cells of the body. People, who consume turmeric in any form, on a regular basis, are much more relieved from joint inflammation and pain.
3. Manages Diabetes : Turmeric is also effective in treating Type-2 diabetes by reducing the resistance of insulin. The curcumin found in turmeric prevents prediabetic patients from getting diabetic.
Note: It can cause hypoglycemia if taken with strong medication of diabetes. Therefore, it’s better to consult a doctor before taking turmeric capsules.
4. Trims down Cholesterol Level : High cholesterol can lead to various other health issues. Turmeric, if used as seasoning in the food, can reduce the cholesterol level in the body. This can, in turn, minimize the risk of a number of cardiovascular diseases.
5. Immunity Booster : Turmeric is the source of lipopolysaccharide, which works as the immunity booster. The anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal compounds lead to a strong immune system. A strong immune system decreases the chances of regular attacks of cough and cold.
6. Heals Injury : There is nothing as best as turmeric in healing the injuries and wounds. Turmeric is the best antiseptic that can either be applied directly on the cracks, burns, and abrasions or it can even be imbibed with warm milk. Turmeric is also effectual in treating psoriasis and other inflammatory troubles.
7. Manages Weight : Turmeric powder is also useful for those people, who wish to cut down their weight. It contains certain compounds that increase the flow of bile juice in the body, which is essential for cutting down the dietary fat. Having one teaspoon of turmeric powder after every meal will help in cutting down the extra kilograms.
8. Prevents Alzheimer’s Disease : Cognitive disorders, like Alzheimer’s disease, are caused by brain inflammation. The anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric help in improving the flow of oxygen to the brain and also aids in removing the plaque, build-up in the brain. Hence, turmeric treats the progression of Alzheimer’s disease either by slowing it down or by entirely removing it.
9. Improves Digestion : Turmeric enhances the capacity of the gallbladder to produce bile juice, which, in turn, helps in treating the digestion related problems, like gas and bloating. However, it is best to use raw turmeric to improve digestion.
Note: Those, who are suffering from any gallbladder disease, like infection or stone, must not consume turmeric as it can aggravate the condition.
10. Prevents Liver Disease : To ascertain the good health of liver, turmeric is the best therapeutic remedy. Liver needs certain essential enzymes to detoxify the blood; the production capacity of those enzymes can be amplified by turmeric. Turmeric is also believed to revitalize and improve the blood circulation in the body.
11. Childhood Leukemia : Turmeric is also good in treating childhood leukemia. The factors that induce childhood leukemia are prenatal or postnatal exposure to radiation, environmental pollutants, benzene, and alkaline chemotherapeutic drugs. Studies have shown that curcumin present in turmeric reduces the effect of many of these factors.
12. Natural Pain Killer : The age old Indian tradition of serving warm milk mixed with turmeric helps in reducing the inflammation in the body, caused by cuts and abrasions. The turmeric is rich in antiseptic and antibiotic properties that work as a natural painkiller.
13. Increases Longevity : Imbibing turmeric tea every day increases the life span of a human being. One teaspoon of turmeric powder to 4 cups of boiling water is enough to render a person a healthy and disease-free life.
14. Asthma : Mix 1 tsp of turmeric powder in 1 glass of lukewarm milk. Drink it to cure asthma.