What is Herpes?
Herpes is an infection, caused by the herpes simplex virus. It is a very itchy and painful problem, generally seen in both men and women. It appears in the form of small red, swelled and liquid-filled blisters or sores near eyes, mouth, lips, and genitals. Herpes simplex virus enters the human body through direct (sex, kiss, touch) or indirect (sharing personal items) contact with the infected person. They are highly contagious and cause various severe diseases, like brain infection, cancer, chickenpox, etc. In men, herpes blisters emerge on the penis, buttocks, anus, thighs, scrotum, inside the urethra, or inside the penis. In women, they appear on buttocks, cervix, vaginal area, anus, and external genitals. With the help of home remedies and preventive measures, this ailment can be minimized to a great extent.
Some of the causes, which results in herpes are:
- Unprotected anal, oral or vaginal sex
- Skin contact
- Intercourse with multiple partners
- Exposure to ultraviolet rays
- Surgery on the genital area
- Touching the blisters or sores
- Direct contact with mucous membranes or saliva of the infected person
- Illness, stress, menstruation, fatigue and surgery also trigger herpes outbreak.
- Herpes virus can also transfer to a new born baby from a herpes infected mother at the time of vaginal delivery.
The symptoms of herpes are so mild that they are not observable. The symptoms do not surface even for several months after you get attacked by the virus. However, some of the possible signs of the herpes infection are:
These symptoms may appear up to 20 days. Thereafter, they get healed at their own.
- Pain while urination
- Feeling unwell
- Vaginal discharge (in women)
- Ulcers and blisters on the cervix (in women)
- Red aching blisters around buttocks, thighs, rectum, and genitals
Some of the symptoms that usually appear again and again are:
- Itching and tingling around genitals
- Aching red blisters around thighs, rectum, buttock and genitals that burst soon and leave sores
- In women, ulcers and blisters on the lower part of the womb
Video: Best Home Remedies for Herpes
Home Remedies for Herpes
Can you treat herpes at home? Well, yes! Here are some easy and quick natural remedies for herpes outbreak. Take a look.
1. Olive Oil
Olive oil is known for moisturizing the skin. It is rich in anti-oxidants and is one of the best home remedies for herpes sores. Take one cup of olive oil. Heat it in a pot and add some lavender oil and bee wax in it. Let the mixture cool down. After cooling, apply the mixture on the infected area.
Echinacea is a medicinal plant and has anti-viral properties. It is known for enhancing the immune system. All parts of Echinacea plant, namely flowers, leaves, and roots can be used for healing herpes. It can be consumed in the form of tea, juices, or pills.
3. Ice Pack
The simplest method at home to cure the herpes is ice. Ice provides immense relief in herpes pain. Take some ice and crush them. Fill the crushed ice in a plastic bag. Wrap the plastic bag in a sheet-like thick cloth. Place it on the sores for 10-15 minutes to get rid of swelling and itching. Repeat the method for multiple times in a day.
Note- Long exposure of genital parts to ice can damage the tissues.
4. Baking Soda
Baking soda is an effective treatment for getting rid of herpes fast. It provides relief in the itchy and painful sores. Take a cotton ball and damp it in baking soda. Apply it directly on the infected area. It helps to dry out the oozing blisters.
Note- In order to avoid contamination, don’t re-dip the cotton ball in baking soda.
5. Tea Tree Oil
To heal the herpes sores outbreak, tea tree oil is a useful remedy. Take some water in a glass. Add few drops of tea tree oil and gargle to remove ulcers from mouth. For genital herpes, use an eye-dropper to put drops on the infected area.
6. Lemon Balm
Lemon balm is one of the most effective herbal remedies for herpes. It has flavonoids, phenolic acid, and rosmarinic acid, which helps in healing the sores or blisters. Prepare a lemon balm tea. Let it steep for some time. Then, soak a cotton ball in it and apply directly on the sores.
Add 2-3 ml of lemon balm tincture in water. Stir it well and drink. This alcohol-based liquid extract is effective for sores. Drink the solution thrice a day.
Lemon balm is also available in the form of creams and ointments. Apply the cream directly to heal the herpes.
7. Licorice Roots
Licorice roots consist of therapeutic properties, which are helpful for the treatment of herpes infection. Licorice has glycyrrhizic acid, which fights against the herpes virus. For the treatment of herpes, the extracts of licorice roots can be effective.
Alternatively, intake 2 capsules of the extracts of the roots of licorice.
Note- Excessive use of licorice may result in hypertension and lowering of potassium. So, individuals suffering from heart problems and pregnant women should avoid the intake of licorice.
8. Tea Bags
Black tea is highly rich in tannin. It is known for anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties. Prepare a cup of black tea with the help of tea bag. Allow it to cool down. After cooling, apply the tea bag on the infected area. Leave it for 5 minutes on the sores. For best results, repeat the process twice or thrice a day.
One of the best remedies for herpes is cornstarch. Cornstarch helps in absorbing excessive moisture from the skin. It helps in reducing chafing and itching. To dry the herpes sores, apply some cornstarch directly on the infected area. Take a cotton ball and dip it in the cornstarch. Dab it gently on the sores.
Note: To circumvent contamination, do not put used cotton ball again in the clean cornstarch.
10. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera is the best remedy with its natural healing properties. It can be effective for herpes blisters. To soothe the itching and redness, pure aloe vera gel should be used on sores.
Else, take a fresh leaf of aloe vera. Cut it into two halves. Apply one of the gelled parts directly on the infected area.
11. Epsom Salt
Bathing with Epsom salt water is the best remedy to soothe the itching and pain in herpes. Add some Epsom salt in warm bathing water. Take a bath from it. This remedy makes the sores dry, thereby reducing itching.
You can also add some salt in the bath tub. Soak herpes infected area in the water. Allow it to dry and then, take a shower.
12. Domeboro Powder
Domeboro powder can be used for healing the herpes infection. It can be used on the sores in the form of compress or wet dressing. The powder helps in soothing the irritated and itchy skin. All you need to do is to mix one packet of domeboro powder in water as per the directions given on the packet. Now, dip a piece of clean cloth in the solution. Apply the cloth directly on the infected area.
One of the other natural remedies for herpes is lysine. It is a kind of amino acids that is found in foods, including milk, brewer’s yeast, cheeses, chicken, etc. It is known for reducing herpes outbreak.
Lysine cream is also available in the market. It can be applied on the infected areas.
14. Black Coffee
Herpes virus infects not only genital parts, but also lips, mouth, etc. Black coffee is one of the best remedies to treat them. Blisters in the mouth cause severe pain. To treat them fast, you are required to prepare black coffee. Let it cool down and take a sip. Hold it in the mouth for some time. Move it onto the lips as well. For best results, repeat the process twice a day.
15. Soap and Warm Water
Soaking the herpes sore in warm water surely relieves the pain and itching. To keep the affected area infection-free and clean, use soap.
Note- Don’t forget to dry your genital parts with a clean towel. Do not share bath tub with an infected person.
16. Herbal Tea
Herbal tea is an effective solution for avoiding any type of skin diseases. For treating pain and itching arising due to herpes, herbal teas, like lemon, ginger, cinnamon, and chamomile are very effective.
17. Manuka Honey
Manuka honey has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. It helps in quick healing of herpes blisters and cold sores. You just need to apply some manuka honey directly on the infected area.
18. Over-the-counter Medicines
Pain relievers or over-the-counter analgesics are useful in relieving the aching herpes outburst. Some of the OTC medications include ibuprofen, acetaminophen, and aspirin. To treat herpes sores, some ointments, like propolis, can also be applied on the infected area.
19. Natural Oils
Natural oils are effective in relieving the herpes ache and itching. Olive, jojoba, tea tree, vitamin E, camellia, and calendula oils are known for fighting against the virus. You just need to apply any of the natural oil or mixture of some oils on the infected area, gently. This will heal the infected skin.
Goldenseal is another natural treatment for herpes. Take some walnut hull powder and add Echinacea and goldenseal in it. Stir it well to make a paste. Apply the paste on the infected area. Goldenseal is also available in pills, tincture, salve, and bulk powder.
21. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil, with its anti-viral properties, helps in the speedy recovery of herpes blisters. You just need to apply some oregano oil directly on the infected area.
Homeopathic Genital Herpes Treatment
When herpes infection gets very severe, it becomes difficult to cure it with home remedies. In order to heal the herpes fast, you can also try some homeopathic remedies. These remedies do not have any side effects and can cure herpes completely within a stipulated time. Here are some best homeopathic herpes remedies.
1. Kreosotum : This medicine is especially meant for herpes in women. It is used when there is a burning sensation in the vagina.
2. Hepar sulfur : It is helpful in treating suppuration in inguinal gland.
3. Lachesis : It is used when genital herpes outbreaks before menstruation.
4. Apis : It is used for treating scrotal edema.
5. Ranunculus : It is used for neurological problems occurring as a result of herpes outburst.
6. Croton tiglium : It helps in treating genital herpes in men.
7. Arsenicum bromatum : It is used for glandular indurations and herpes.
8. Aconitum : It is used when a person is on the early stage of herpes and feels a tingling sensation in the infected area.
9. Thuya : It is known for its powerful action against genital herpes, warts, and venereal ailments.
These are the preventive measures that will surely help in avoiding the attack of herpes virus.
- Avoid sexual intercourse and kissing for some time until the sores are properly healed.
- Drink a lot of water to maintain dehydration level in the body.
- During pregnancy, seek regular and early prenatal care.
- Practice proper hygiene, like hand washing, to avoid bacterial infection.
- Use latex condoms during the sexual intercourse.
- Engage in stress management or stress-relief activities, like yoga and meditation.
- Stop sharing spoons, drinking glass, silverware, toothbrushes, and mouth guards with the infected person.
- Maintain cleanliness and dryness in genital parts.
- Avoid smoking
- Take 7-8 hours of sleep, daily.
- Take a proper diet, including healthy vegetables and fruits, like apples, cabbage, beetroot, papayas, carrots, mangoes, etc.
- Avoid alcohol, sugar, and junk foods.
- Avoid chocolates, seeds, peanuts, and cereals as they have a high amount of arginine.
- Synthetic, silk, or nylon undergarments can worsen the symptoms of herpes infection in genital parts. So, always wear cotton clothes, which allow the air to circulate.