We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Diabetes is referred to as diabetes mellitus in medical sciences. It falls in the category of metabolic disease and is caused when a person suffers from the problem of high blood sugar levels in his or her body. The main reason of diabetes is that either the pancreas is not able to produce enough amount of insulin to control the blood sugar levels or the insulin produced by the pancreas is not properly responded to by the cells.
In any case, if you have this disease, it is essential to find ways to keep your blood sugar levels even. You should always work under the direction of a doctor.
We have some home technique for you to try to help you manage your blood sugar. However, keep in mind that you should follow your doctor’s orders. Do not stop taking medications without his or her approval.
These home remedies are only meant for use after discussing them with your doctor. Do not try to manage your condition on your own since diabetes can be very harmful to your health.
Type of Diabetes
There are three major types of diabetes mellitus:
- Type 1 is a kind of diabetes mellitus when the body is unable to generate insulin and has to be dependent on insulin, injected from outside. This type of diabetes occurs generally in teenage or during the ages when a person is about to enter his 40s.
- Type 2 is a kind of diabetes where insulin is produced in adequate quantity by the pancreas, but that quantity is not absorbed properly by the cells of the body, resulting in high levels of blood sugar level.
- Type 3 is gestational type, which occurs in pregnant women without any previous diagnosis of the disease.
- Sudden rise in blood sugar levels
- Increased urination
- Increased thirst
- Gradual loss in weight
- Felling hungry most of the time
- Skin related problems, such as itching, dry skin, etc.
- Slow healing of wounds and abrasions
- Body becomes susceptible to fungal and yeast infections
- Fatigue and irritation
- Blurred vision
- Tingling sensation or numbness
- Presence of ketones in urine
- Raised blood pressure
Home Remedies for Diabetes
Remember to only use these remedies under the supervision of your doctor. You can try as many of them as you like to see what works the best for you since our bodies respond differently and not all the remedies may work well for your particular situation.
Leaves and berries of jambul plant help to keep blood-sugar levels in control. Having it in your daily diet can make pancreas more efficacious, which, in turn, will benefit the diabetic patients.
2. Bitter Gourd
Having a glass full of bitter gourd juice in the morning and that too empty stomach will help you in maintaining a proper glucose levels in your body, over a period of few months. It will be really bitter when you drink it, but very benefitting.
Fenugreek is another helpful herb that aims at controlling diabetes mellitus in your body. Soak fenugreek seeds in water. Leave them overnight. Consume them the next morning, prior eating or drinking anything else. You can also add powdered fenugreek in your milk and have it every day for treating diabetes.
Guavas are rich in vitamin C, and at the same time, they are highly fibrous. One can maintain a healthy glucose level by having a guava every day.
5. Mango Leaves
Soak mango leaves for overnight in water and consume them the next morning on an empty stomach. You can also consume them in powdered form. Dry mangos leaves and make a powder out of them and store it. Consume this powder with water, twice daily, for effective results.
Cinnamon is another ingredient that is bliss for patients, suffering from diabetes mellitus. Mix 4 teaspoons of cinnamon powder with water and boil it on low flame. Consume this extract every day for controlling and maintaining healthy blood glucose levels in your body.
7. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has already proved its consistency in being beneficial in a lot of body ailments as a home remedy, and diabetes is not an exception. Take equal quantities of aloe vera juice, turmeric, and bay leaf, and mix them together. Have this mix every day before the meal as it will help in keeping the blood glucose levels in control.
Water helps to mobilize sugar levels of the body and also maintains a healthy glucose level inside the body. Studies have exposed that consuming 2.5 liters of water a day have shown drastic improvement in the condition of people, suffering from diabetes mellitus.
Sunlight is the best natural source of vitamin D, which is really essential in controlling blood glucose levels inside the body. Expose yourself to sunlight early in the morning to have some sunlight that will keep the problem at bay and will keep you healthy.
10. Indian Gooseberry
Indian gooseberries are rich in vitamin C and help pancreas to produce optimum quantities of insulin to maintain a healthy blood glucose level. Take two teaspoons of amla juice and consume it with water every morning, on an empty stomach, to keep the problem at bay.
11. Fig Leaves
Fig leaves are said to possess anti-diabetic properties for they are used in effective treatment of the disease. You can consume them by boiling in water and having it like tea. You can even chew them empty stomach, early in the morning, to treat the problem.
12. Grape Seed Extract
Grape seeds are rich in vitamin E, flavonoids, linoleic acid, and they have been proven to cure the problem of diabetes. A person can consume 300 mg capsule, having grounded grape seed extract, to treat and cure the disease.
Garlic is already known for its properties to lower down the levels of cholesterol in the body, but it also keeps diabetes at bay. Garlic has a chemical, called allicin, which is known to have hypoglycemic effects.
Neem has got both anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties, and it is found to be efficient enough in reducing the insulin requirements of the body by 50 percent.
Although, jamun is not available throughout the year, but consuming it during the season can be really beneficial in keeping diabetes at bay. It is advised to consume at least 100 grams of this incredible fruit every day in the season, to cure the problem.
Homeopathic Medications for Diabetes
- Uranium nitrate : This one is effective against symptoms, such as frequent urination as it controls urination to 3 times the existing value. Besides, it also controls the blood sugar levels and lessens the quantity of sugar in the urine.
- Phosphoric acid : Useful against symptoms, such as milky urine with high sugar levels in it. Other symptoms include unquenched thirst and loss of appetite. This one is also effective when there are larger amounts of phosphate deposits in urine.
- Phosphorus : This one is recommended for patients having dark and watery stool, excessively dry mouth and throat and increased blood sugar levels.
- Get involved into physical activities. Exercise will certainly help you in reducing weight and will also help you in lowering your blood sugar levels.
- Increase the quantity of fibers in your diet as fibers control the levels of blood sugar levels and also prevent your body from heart diseases.
- Consume foods that are made up of whole grains.
- Quit awful habits, such as smoking and consuming alcohol. (However, moderate amounts may even help in curing the type 2 diabetes mellitus).
- Skip sugary drinks, rather choose coffee, tea, or even water.
- Go for healthy fats over unhealthy ones, such as vegetable oils, nuts, and seeds.
- Avoid meat and other processed non-vegetarian foods, rather go for poultry or fish.
The Final Word
We’ve given you a lot of great ideas to help you try to naturally manage your diabetes. Make sure to take a copy of this article to your doctor on your next visit and see which ideas he or she recommends.
Then, tell us about the remedies, methods, or tricks you tried and how they worked for you in the comments.