When the relaxed structures in the throat vibrate while sleeping, which resultantly produces harsh and hoarse sounds, it is called snoring. The vibration in the respiratory structure is caused due to partial obstruction in the path of breathing. In some cases, the sound of snoring is soft while in some other cases, it can be unpleasant or strident. Mostly, snoring is harmless, but, it can cause disturbance and annoyance to others. To be on a serious note, it can also be an alarming sign of Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA).
Causes of Snoring
There are many causes, which develops this bothersome problem, like:
- Drinking alcohol
- Consumption of sedatives and anti-depressants
- Fat around the neck and chin
- Obstruction in the nasal passage
- Throat weakness
- Wrong sleeping posture
- Various diseases, like thyroid, diabetes, and other hormonal diseases
Signs and Symptoms of Snoring
Other than just having the problem of producing gruff sounds, there are few other symptoms that indicate that how much snoring is affecting a person.
- Headache in the morning
- Waking up frequently in the night to urinate
- Dry mouth or sore throat
- Concentration issues
- Learning and memory problems
- Mood swings
- Change in personality
- Irritation and anger
- Depression and anxiety
Home Remedies for Snoring
1. Butter or Brahmi Oil
Put a few drops of warm clarified butter or brahmi oil in each of your nostrils once in the morning and every night before sleeping. This process clears the nasal passage easily.
2. Cardamom Powder
Crush a few cardamom seeds to get about half a spoon of cardamom powder. Mix well in a glass of warm water and drink it every night before going to bed. This is a natural cure for snoring.
3. Turmeric Powder
Add two teaspoons of turmeric in one cup of warm milk and consume daily before going to bed to stop snoring, naturally.
This is one of the great home remedies for snoring, which lets you sleep peacefully. Add 5-10 drops of mint in a spray bottle, filled with water. Spray this mint water every night before going to bed. The aroma of mint will help the snorer to enjoy a good sleep.
5. Hot Shower
In most cases, congestion and blockage in the nose leads to snoring. It makes breathing difficult and to cure it, one must take a relaxing hot shower before bedtime, each night.
Keep a humidifier on the side of your bed so that you do not get a dry environment while sleeping at night. The increased moisture in the room lubricates the nostrils, which stops nasal blockage and in turn, gives relief from snoring.
7. Saline Water
Snoring, caused due to nasal obstruction, can also be cured by cleaning the nose with warm saline solution.
8. Olive Oil
Take two to three sips of olive oil before going to bed as it is considered to be a natural snoring remedy.
To stop snoring, boil a bunch of sage herb in water and gargle with this solution to avoid snoring.
Tips to Prevent Snoring
- Loose excess weight.
- Avoid excess drinking and smoking.
- Cut down junk and carbonated drinks.
- Avoid consumption of caffeine.
- Do not sleep on your back.
- Elevate your head 4-5 inches to ease the breath and avoid tongue from rolling back.
- Keep the gap of at least two hours between your dinner and sleep.
- Keep a regular sleep-wake cycle.
- Avoid dairy products in the evening.
- Do not take anti-depressants and sedatives; they can actually increase the problem of snoring.
- Eat light before going to bed.
- Get a relaxing massage at least 3-4 times in a month so that your blood flow remains proper.
- Reduce the growth of allergens in your bedroom.
- Use HEPA filters in the house to keep away germs.