We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Gout is a painful form of arthritis. When the level of uric acid increases in blood, it results in the build-up of uric acid crystals around or in the joint, leading to inflammation and piercing pain in the joints. Fingers, wrists, hands, feet, ankles and knees are generally affected by this ailment. Excess consumption of Niacin (a form of vitamin B3) also causes painful gout. This disease mostly affects males, but females may also develop it after menopause. The problem can be resolved with the help of natural remedies at home.
- Consuming alcohol in large amount
- Soft drinks with high fructose
- High blood pressure
- Bone marrow disorder
- Dairy products
- Kidney disease
- Vascular disease
- Meat and sea food
- Physical trauma
- Fast weight loss
- Regular use of niacin, aspirin and diuretic medicines
- Hypothyroidism or hypertension
- Aching joints
- Red or purple skin
- Nodules in the ears, hands, or elbows
- Inflammation in joints
- Lingering discomfort
Home Remedies for Gout
In ancient and olden times, people used to cure all the diseases with home remedies. Home remedies can do wonders, if used properly and regularly. Let’s see some of the homemade remedies for gout pain.
Ginger is a useful remedy for people, suffering from gout. You can use ginger in many ways. Take a raw piece of ginger root and cook it with other vegetables. You can also add ginger root in your tea and drink it, many times a day.
Else, make a smooth and fine paste of ginger by mixing water in it. Apply this ginger root paste on the affected area.
Apple is a proven herbal remedy for gout.Eat a fresh apple, once a day.
3. ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar)
ACV can also help in improving the problem of gout. Take a glass of water and mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in it. Drink this daily.
4. Baking Soda
Take 1 tablespoon of baking soda and mix it in a glass of water. Drink this, 4 times a day.
Note- Avoid this home remedy if you have a problem of high blood pressure.
5. Lemon Juice
Take a lemon and squeeze it. Mix half tablespoon of baking soda in it, and let it rest for a couple of seconds. Then, add this mixture in a glass of water and drink it right away.
Alternatively, take a lemon, cut it into half and squeeze it. Now, mix lemon juice in a glass of water. Drink this water, thrice a day.
Banana is highly enriched with vitamin C. Eat 1-2 bananas daily. This will help to turn the uric acid crystals into a liquid form, which will later flush out from the body.
Eat 15 to 20 cherries daily as it will help to reduce the gout pain and remove the swelling and redness. You can also drink the juice of cherry.
8. Cold Water
Do not apply ice directly on the aching and swelled area. This will make your situation even worse. If you want to apply ice, wrap it in a towel first, and then, apply it for 10 to 15 minutes. This will help to reduce the swelling as well as the coldness will numb the nerves, relieving from the pain for some time.
You can also apply cold water. Take tap water and gently apply it on the affected area. This is the good home remedy for treating gout in foot.
9. Epsom Salt
Take 2 cups of Epsom salt and mix it in your bath tub, filled with warm water. Now, soak yourself in this warm water. Epsom salt will soothe the aching muscles, reducing gout pain. Take Epsom salt bath, once or twice a week.
10. Charcoal Powder
Make a thick and fine paste by adding water in a half cup of charcoal powder. Now, partially fill your bath tub with warm water. Add charcoal paste in it. Now, add more water to the tub to fill it completely. Soak your body in charcoal water. This bath will provide you an amazing relief. Take this bath at least thrice a week. You can also intake activated charcoal. Be careful, it should be in small doses.
Eat pineapple and other fruits. Drink a glass of fresh pineapple juice. This will help to ease the pain.
Drink water as much as you can. You cannot have any disease until you keep your body hydrated.
Eat grapes in order to gain relief from pain, caused by gout.
Soak your body in warm water and relax. Warm water will ease the pain and soothe the muscles.
15. Juniper Oil
Apply juniper oil on the affected area. Juniper oil will help to reduce the pain.
16. Devil’s Claw
The roots of devil’s claw can help to relieve the pain. It is an ancient herbal remedy.
Note- Avoid this home remedy, if you have diabetes or blood related problems.
17. Elm Leaf Tea
You can apply elm leaf tea for instant relief.
Consume a safflower capsule in order to heal gout pain fast. Safflower is a very useful home remedy for gout.
19. French Beans
Drink a glass of fresh French beans juice, every day. Drink this juice for 1 month, and you will notice an immense relief in gout pain.
Take 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and add 2 tablespoons of organic honey to it. Mix it well and take it. Repeat this, twice a day.
Mustard is very helpful in soothing the nerves. Take mustard powder and mix it in whole wheat powder. The proportion of mustard powder and whole wheat powder should be equal. Make a smooth and thick paste by adding water in it. Apply this paste on the affected area. Leave it over night. This paste will help to soothe the pain and aching muscles.
The juice of carrot, beet root and cucumber is very beneficial for health. The juice of these vegetables provides great relief in gout pain.
23. Castor Oil
Take a cotton ball and soak it in warm castor oil. Apply it on the affected area. This is one of the best home remedies for gout pain.
Homeopathic Remedies for Gout
Homeopathic remedies are trusted by 81% of people worldwide. It can provide instant relief in gout pain, without any harm to the body. Take a look at some of the homeopathic remedies for gout pain.
1. Aconite : Aconite can be taken in order to get instant relief, when gout attack approaches. It works well for gout of the feet joints.
2. Colchicum : Colchicum is a very common homeopathic remedy for treating gout. If the gout is causing too much pain in the joints and is accompanied with redness, this remedy can be taken for relief.
3. Ledum : Ledum is a very useful remedy for treating gout. This is the best homeopathic remedy for gout in the foot. If the patient feels coldness in the affected area, this medicine can be given.
4. Belladonna : Belladonna can provide relief from all the symptoms of gout, like swelling, pain, inflammation, red or purplish skin.
Other homeopathic remedies can also be taken to get instant relief, such as Bryonia, Rhododendron, Calcarea fluorica, Berberis vulgaris, Urtica urens, Sulphur, Lycopodium, and Rhus toxicodendron.
How to Prevent Gout?
- Drink lots and lots of water.
- Consume balance diet.
- Add fresh juices in your healthy diet.
- Avoid drinking too much alcohol.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Avoid consuming too much red meat, fish, tofu, and other foods, which contain purine in high amount.
- Develop a habit of eating fruits, which are full of potassium and Vitamin C, like apples, bananas, oranges, etc.
- Drink a glass of lemon water after having lunch or dinner.
- Do not take too much of diuretic medications as it can reduce the amount of potassium in your body.
- Limit the soft drinks, which contain fructose in high amount.
- Drink skimmed or low fat milk.
- Eat green vegetables and salads.