If you feel like someone has stuffed so many cotton pads in your ears, then you have clogged ears. There are so many ways to unclog the clogged ears. There can be so many causes for plugged ears. If you are wondering, what to do for plugged ears, then here are some effective home remedies worth a try.
Plugged Ear Causes
The most common triggers of plugged ears are:
- Ear Wax
- Blocked nose
- Sinus infection
- Accumulation of water within the ear
- Changes in atmospheric pressure while travelling in an airplane
- Blockage in the Eustachian tubes
Symptoms of Plugged Ear
Following symptoms are seen when your ears get plugged or clogged.
- Trouble in hearing
- Severe earache
- Ringing sound in the ears
- Itching in the ear
- Dizziness or loss of balance
- Bleeding or discharge from the affected ears
Video: How to Unclog Your Ears
Home Remedies for Plugged Ears
To unplug the plugged ears, you can use some effective remedies at home.
1. Valsalva Maneuver
Take a deep breath and pinch your nose. Now, try to exhale like you are trying to breathe out. This will unclog your ears. This is the easiest and a good plugged ear treatment, especially for airplane passengers and pilots.
Note- Don’t blow too hard; otherwise, it may cause damage to the ear drum.
2. Nasal Spray
If the reason of plugged ears is sinus blockage, you can go for a nasal spray. This will clear the sinuses, thereby unclogging the plugged ears.
3. Candy or Chewing Gum
Sometimes a candy can also help to open up the clogged ears. Eat a hard candy or chew a gum. Even the swallowing will help out in unplugging the ears.
4. Alcohol and Vinegar
Take one part of alcohol and one part of vinegar. Mix them together. Then, lie down and put a few drops in your affected ear with the help of a dropper. Now, place a cotton pad in your ear, and do not raise your head. Let the solution work. You will feel an immediate relief, and your plugged ear canal will get unplugged.
5. Olive Oil
Put a few drops of lukewarm olive oil in the affected ear and let it settle for 5 minutes. Now, keep your head sideways and remove the oil or earwax with cotton. You can also use baby oil or mineral oil in place of olive oil.
6. Water Flush
To help unclog the ear, flush it out with warm water like this…
- Get an ear syringe and fill it with lukewarm water. This will go into your ear, so make sure it is not too hot for comfort
- Tilt your head with affected ear up, and pull on the ear lobe gently to open the ear canal
- Position the syringe inside the ear canal, aiming it more toward the back of your head instead of straight in. This is to avoid hitting the ear drum with too much pressure. Gently squeeze the syringe to squirt the water into the ear canal. Some wax may dislodge immediately.
- Wait for about 5-10 minutes to give the warm water an opportunity to soften the ear wax. Then tilt your head in the opposite direction to let the water (and earwax) drain out.
7. Warm Cloth
Take a cloth. Iron it or put it in the sunlight so that it gets warm. Now, put this warm cloth underneath the affected ear. This is a very good remedy for clogged ears.
Else, heat some water and soak a cloth in it. Now, squeeze the excess water and keep the cloth on the affected ear for 5 minutes. Then, rub your affected ear with your palm, roughly. Now, put your palm on the clogged ear very tightly and then, push it out just like a suction cup. You will notice that your ear is unclogged.
8. Tea Tree Oil
Boil 1 glass of water. Add a few drops of tea tree oil to it. When the water starts to boil, put your affected ear on the steam. This will provide relief. Repeat, if necessary. It is an effective plugged ear treatment.
9. Salt Water Gargle
Mix 1 tsp of salt with warm water in a glass. Gargle for roughly 15-20 seconds and spit out. You can repeat this as needed for relief.
10. Garlic Oil
Garlic is a natural remedy for plugged ears. Take 2 garlic cloves and mash it with a knife or spoon. Now, heat a saucepan and put 2 spoons of olive oil in it and add the smashed garlic. Heat it for a few seconds. Now, turn off the flame and let it reach on a lukewarm level. Lie down and put this prepared garlic oil on the clogged ear. Let it set for like 45 seconds to 1 minute. After that, drain the garlic oil. You will feel relief.
11. Wax Softening Solution
Take a few drops of glycerine and baby oil and mix them in hot water. Mix an equal amount of hydrogen peroxide in this solution. Lie down and pour a very little amount of wax softening solution in the affected ear. Once you pour the mixture in your clogged ear, you will hear the sounds of bubbles. When you stop hearing this sound, it means, it’s time to drain out the solution. You can try this solution for 3 times a day, but not more than that as hydrogen peroxide can harm your ear drums.
Note- Do not attempt this if you have an ear infection.
Even yawning can help you in unclogging the ears.
13. Sweet Oil
Put a few drops of sweet oil in your ear, and lie down for a few minute. Make sure your clogged ear is facing up the ceiling. Drain out the oil after 5 minutes.
14. Apple Cider Vinegar and Rubbing Alcohol
Note- Do not use this home remedy if you have sores in your ears.
15. Over-the-counter Ear Drops
Several ear drops for plugged ears are available in the market, like:
- Cerumol Ear Drops : Along with peanut oil, this ear drop contains chlorobutanol (an antifungal and antibacterial medicine), which softens the ear wax, unclogging your ear.
- Care Sodium Bicarbonate Ear Drops : This ear drop contains sodium bicarbonate that helps in a natural clearing of the ear.
- Similasan Ear Relief : It is a natural homeopathic remedy to get rid of sensation of clogged ear.
Homeopathic Remedies for Plugged Ears
There are so many homeopathic remedies available for plugged ears. These remedies can also be taken if the ear is infected or causing severe pain.
If you have a really bad earache, you can take belladonna. Belladonna works as a charm in earaches.
This homeopathic remedy is best for earwax build up and ear infections. Pulsatilla stops the green or yellow discharge, coming from the affected ear.
3. Hepar sulphuris
Hepar sulphuris soothes the irritable and aching nerves in ears, and stops the yellow or green fluid, coming out from the ear. This remedy also eases the earache.
Other homeopathic remedies can also be consumed if you have clogged or plugged ears. Mercurius solubilis, Ferrum phosphoricum, Aconitum napellus, Chamomilla, and Magnesia phosphoric are some of the homeopathic remedies, which you can consider.
How to Prevent Plugged Ears?
The preventive measures for plugged ears are given below.
- Clean your ears regularly.
- Always use clean water to unplug the outer ear.
- Avoid diving or swimming if you have a respiratory infection or cold.
- After taking bath, dry your ear with a soft cloth or paper towel.