Stuffiness, a dull ache, and sometimes even balance issues are quite common whenever you have fluid in your ear. Getting rid of the fluid might be something simple or it might require getting rid of an infection. We’ll cover all of the possible options and provide 15 home remedies for fluid in ear that will help eliminate the underlying issue as well as the symptoms.
These cures will help to eliminate issues with fluid in the ears, but they are not all-inclusive cures. Serious inner ear infections should be treated under the supervision of a healthcare professional. After all, they have the last verdict for every diagnosis.
15 Home Remedies for Fluid in Ear That Really Work
1. How to Get Rid of Fluid in the Ear with Warm Compress
One of the simplest home remedies for fluid in the ear is the use of a warm compress. Applying heat to the outside of the ear can help relieve any pain and inflammation associated with the fluid as well as help circulation in the area to help flush the fluid out.
- Saturate a washcloth with warm water or wrap a hot water bottle in a thin cloth.
- Hold the warm cloth or water bottle against the affected ear for 15 minutes.
- Repeat this as often as necessary.
Onions can also be used to eliminate fluid in the ear. The sulfur compounds in onions have both an antiseptic and antibiotic effect to help get rid of the swelling as well as the infection causing the fluid.
- Bake a whole onion for ½ hour and then cut it in half while it is still warm.
- Wrap the half-onion in a cotton cloth and hold it over the affected ear for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Repeat this with the other half of the onion.
- You can repeat this remedy a couple of times per day.
3. How to Get Rid of Fluid in Ear with Garlic Oil
Another means of eliminating fluid in your ear is through the use of garlic oil. A natural antibiotic, antiviral, and antifungal, garlic oil can get rid of the cause of the fluid whether they are caused by a virus, bacteria, or some other pathogen without the need for prescription antibiotics.
- You can use already prepared garlic oil or make your own.
- Mix a few drops of garlic oil in 1 tsp of olive oil.
- Use a dropper to drop the drops into your ear and allow it to sit for 5 minutes before allowing it to drain out.
- Repeat this 2 to 3 times daily.
4. How to Get Rid of Fluid in Ear with Breast Milk
Though it might not always be available, breast milk is among the top home remedies for fluid in the ear, especially if it is your baby who is having the problem. The natural antimicrobial properties and other compounds in breast milk can help reduce swelling and help eliminate the issue causing the fluid.
- Extract warm breast milk and use a dropper to put a few drops of the milk inside the ear.
- Repeat this every few hours as required.
5. Tea Tree Oil
Another remedy that can help to clear the fluid from your ear is tea tree oil. The antiseptic and antimicrobial properties of tea tree oil can help eliminate any infection as well as bring relief to inflammation.
- Add 3 drops of tea tree oil to 1 tsp of olive oil and warm them slightly.
- Lie on your side and drop 2 or 3 drops of the oil into your ear and leave it for 5 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy 2 to 3 times daily.
Another oil you might not be as familiar with is mullein oil, which comes from mullein flowers. Mullein oil acts as a natural anesthetic to help bring relief to any pain associated with the fluid in your ear.
- Add 2 to 3 drops of mullein oil to 1 tsp of olive oil.
- Drop a few drops of this oil into the affected ear and allow it to sit for 5 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy 2 to 3 times per day as well.
7. How to Get Rid of Fluid in Ear with Heated Salt
Salt is about as common of an item as you will find in any kitchen, but you might be surprised to see it among home remedies for fluid in the ear. Salt has astringent properties which can help to pull the fluid out of the affected ear and the heat will help relieve the pain and inflammation as well.
- Warm up a cup of salt, place it inside a cloth and seal it with a rubber band.
- Lie down and hold the cloth against the affected ear for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy as needed.
8. Tulsi Home Remedies for Fluid in Ear
This is another means of eliminating fluid in the ear as well as pain and swelling. Tulsi, aka holy basil, has natural antimicrobial properties to help eliminate any accompanying infection as well as bring some soothing anti-inflammatory relief.
- Crush 4 to 5 leaves of tulsi to extract the juice.
- Add the juice to 1 tsp of olive oil.
- Place a few drops into the affected ear and allow it to sit for 5 minutes.
- Repeat this 2 times per day.
9. How to Get Rid of Fluid in Ear with Olive Oil
Not only is olive oil the best carrier oil for most of the home remedies for fluid in the ear we have discussed, but it has healing properties of its own as well. Olive oil’s fatty acids have antifungal and antibacterial agents in them to fight any related infection and they also help to reduce swelling.
- Slightly warm ¼ to ½ tsp of olive oil.
- Using a dropper, place 2 to 3 drops in the affected ear and allow it to sit for 5 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy 3 times daily.
10. How to Get Rid of Fluid in Ear with Vitamin D
Though you might not think that vitamin D can help get rid of fluid in your ear, it does do a great deal to prevent it and any infections associated with it. Moreover, studies indicate that a deficiency in vitamin D is a leading cause of chronic fluid and infection issues in the ears.
- Try to get 15 to 20 minutes of sun exposure daily.
- Make sure to get that sun exposure during the morning or evening in order to avoid damage from the most powerful UV rays.
11. Steam Treatment Home Remedies for Fluid in Ear
Among the best and simplest home remedies for fluid in the ear is steam treatment. Oftentimes swelling or infection in the Eustachian tube is what causes the buildup of fluid in the middle ear and steam can help take that pressure off.
- Boil a pot of water and then remove it from the stove.
- Placing a towel over your head, lower your head over the steaming pot, and breathe in the steam for 10 to 15 minutes.
- You can add some of the oils that we mentioned to the steam if you like.
- You can repeat this remedy 2 to 3 times daily as well.
12. How to Get Rid of Fluid in Ear with Blow Drier
Sometimes the simplest of remedies are the ones that work the best. Using a blow drier on the outer ear can often dry out the fluid in your ear, but it might also help fluid in the middle ear to evaporate as well.
- Set your blow drier on its lowest heat setting.
- Blow the air into your ear for 5 minutes or so.
- Repeat this process as often as needed.
13. Humidifiers Home Remedies for Fluid in Ear
Humidifiers can also bring relief to fluid in the ear. Oftentimes, dry air causes the middle ear to produce extra fluid. In addition, dry air is often responsible for upper respiratory infections that cause inflammation and swelling which affects the middle ear. A humidifier can help eliminate these problems.
- Set a humidifier on a table near your bed at night.
- You can add a few drops of essential oils to the water in the humidifier as well.
- Run the humidifier throughout the night for several nights or continuously during really dry seasons.
14. Chewing or Yawning – Anti-Fluid in Ear Remedy
Another of the simplest home remedies for fluid in the ear involves chewing or yawning. The motion of chewing or yawning helps to encourage the inner and middle ear tubes to open up and allow fluid to drain out of the ear canal.
- Pinch your nostrils between your thumb and forefinger while holding your hand over your mouth.
- Attempt to yawn while holding your hand in this position.
- As an alternative, consider chewing sugar-free gum to help open up the tubes as well.
- Repeat either of these remedies as often as necessary.
15. Create a Vacuum
To remove fluid trapped in the outer ear canal creating a vacuum might be just the thing. By creating a vacuum, you draw the water out of the ear so that it can drain naturally.
- Tilt your head sideways into your cupped palm.
- Create a tight seal around your ear with your palm, and then push in and out rapidly with your palm to create a sucking motion.
- Remove your hand and tilt your head so that fluid can drain.
- Repeat this as often as necessary as well.
Suggested Read: 6 Home Remedies For Safe Ear Wax Removal
What’s The Best Fluid in Ear Remedy for You?
By making use of one or more of the 15 home remedies for fluid in the ear that we’ve presented, you can get relief from the symptoms as well as the underlying causes. If you’ve been swimming or taking a bath recently, it’s important to know how to get water out of the ear. Finally, be sure to leave any questions, comments, or additional home remedies in the comments section below. We would love to hear from you.