Allergies plague a large swath of the human populace, placing many people at odds with their own environments.
Allergies affect people in different ways, depending on the stimulus involved, symptoms such as a runny nose, swelling and rashes can manifest. Such symptoms are not necessarily life-threatening, but they can be very uncomfortable, at the least.
Children exposed to known allergens at an early age exhibit less allergic reactions in later life, but adults with established allergies may need to avoid their triggers to keep symptoms from showing up.
Common triggers for allergic reactions include pollen, dander, feathers and dust, among many others. Read on to learn more about allergies and methods of prevention/relief.
Causes of Allergy
There are thousands of causes that can trigger allergy, like:
- Dust mites
- Household chemicals
- Pet hair
- Skin flakes of pet
- Fungal or mould infection
- Food (particularly milk, wheat, eggs, seafood, soya, fruit and nuts)
- Wasp and bee stings
- Various medicines, such as penicillin
Signs and Symptoms
There are various kinds of allergies, which are caused by different allergens and therefore, the symptoms of different allergies are different. However, some of the common symptoms are:
- Sinus or migraine pain
- Runny nose
- Puffiness or swelling
- Itching in eyes, ears, throat, lips, and palate
- Redness in eyes
- Outright attack of asthma
- Abdominal pain
Tips for Preventing Allergies
1. Curtail Untidiness : Minimize extra clutter from your house, which augments dust and dirt, like old books, dried flowers, old soft toys, etc.
2. Make your Bed a Bug-free Domain : Regular cleaning of the bed, bed sheets, pillow covers and blankets is essential. Cleaning helps in restraining the occurrence of mites and microbes to a certain extent.
3. Wear a Face Mask : If you are allergic to pollens, dust and dirt, wear a face mask to avoid direct exposure to these substances. Wear a mask while vacuuming and gardening.
4. Air-conditioner : Always use an air conditioner in the car while driving, as it filters the fresh air and keeps the dirt away. Air conditioners and dehumidifiers are also helpful in cleaning and purifying the air of your bedroom, and curbs down the unnecessary moisture, which enhances the growth of germs.
5. Avoid Smoking : Smoking is the most dangerous thing that can worsen the allergies, and if the allergic person has a habit of smoking, it is fatal for him/her. Avoid smoking to reduce the allergic reactions.
6. Set up an Air Filter at Home : Keeping the air unsoiled at home can bring relief from dust-mites, pet dander, and pollens. While using an air filter at home, keep the doors closed.
7. Segregate your Pets : Pets are the source of a number of allergies. These furry animals cause allergy with their dander that result in constant sneezing, and even redness and rashes on the skin. If you or any of your family members is a patient of allergy, try to keep your lovely pet away from your home. Remember to wash your hands, every time, you touch them.
8. Rinse with Saline Water Before Allergy Symptoms Wallop : To wash away pollens and dust from your nose and preventing them to reach your lungs directly, wash your nose every morning and night with the saline solution. It also helps in treating bad allergies, like sinus pains. Although, this remedy cannot be replaced with appropriate medication, but it will surely hold back your need of consuming medicines too much.
You can also follow this procedure with the help of Neti pots. Rinsing nasal passage through Neti pots can also help in reducing clogged ears.
9. Consume Fish Oil Supplements : Fish oil supplements are an effective remedy for curing the asthmatic allergies. It helps in restricting the level of leukotrienes in the body, which otherwise contributes in increasing the allergy.
Note- Some people are allergic to fish oil supplements and cod liver oil. Identify the kind of allergy you have and consult a doctor before applying this remedy.
10. Don’t Step Out Uncovered : Do not step out of the house without wearing a sunscreen and glasses. Try to avoid direct exposure to sun rays, as much as possible.
11. Try Butterbur : Butterbur is the best natural remedy to cure pollen allergies. It is also a helpful remedy in restraining the problems of asthma, and migraine pain.
12. Acupuncture : It is assumed that acupuncture also plays a vital role in curbing down the allergic reactions. It is also helpful in preventing hay fever.
13. Consume Turmeric : The anti-bacterial properties of turmeric help to curb the allergens in the body. Additionally, it also strengthens the immune system and ward off cold. Turmeric should be an essential ingredient in the daily diet of a person.
It can also be consumed by mixing half tablespoon of turmeric powder in a glass of hot milk.
14. Honey : Consuming a spoon of pure honey every day proves to be helpful in curbing down the allergic reactions, especially the one, caused by pollens.
15. HEPA Filters : Make sure that your vacuum cleaners are equipped with HEPA filters that are very efficient in trapping the microbes fast. However, HEPA filters, if installed in the entire house, are generally more effective.
16. Steam : Steam bathing is the best way to open the stuffy nose, caused by allergies. It also soothes the irritation in the throat. This is also effective in curing clogged ear allergies.
17. Eucalyptus Oil : This essential oil, extracted out of the leaves of eucalyptus, is an excellent remedy to cure blocked nasal passages, sinus, and other allergic reactions.
18. Spicy Food : Some people believe that eating spicy foods, like wasabi, chilli peppers, fresh garlic, Dijon mustard, and horseradish clears the troubling effects, caused by sinus. The piquant effect also clears the blocked nasal passage.
19. Nettle Leaves : Nettle leaves are the natural source of antihistamine. It can be taken in the form of tea, tincture or capsule. This is the most handy and effectual option for curing yourself from allergy.
20. Quercetin : It is another great option that is found in foods, like citrus and broccoli. Quercetin is the natural source of antihistamine that helps to reduce the inflammation in the body, caused due to allergy.
Homeopathic Remedies for Allergies
Here are some effective home remedies for curing bad allergies.
1. Histamine : This remedy works to cure allergy, caused by dust and strong fragrances.
2. Natrum mur : This homeopathic medicine is helpful in curbing down allergies, caused by acidic food, and bread.
3. Kali bich : People, who are allergic to malt liquor or beer, respond well to this medicine.
4. Justicia adhatoda : Justicia adhatoda is an effective homeopathic remedy for those, who are allergic to dust and suffering from sneezing, especially in the evening and constant nasal discharge.
5. Hepar sulph : Hepar sulph is effective in treating people, who are allergic to cod liver oil.
6. Carbo veg : This homeopathic remedy is helpful in curing allergic reactions, caused by bad liquors, bad eggs, poultry items, salted butter, and aspirin.
7. Sulphur : People, who are allergic to antibiotics, respond to this medicine.
8. Bryonia : This medicine helps in curing allergic reactions, caused from castor oil.
9. Nux vom : Nux vom is given to the people, who are allergic to coffee.
10. Apis mel : It is helpful in curbing down the allergic reactions, caused by heat.
11. Ailanthus : People, who are allergic to pollens and smell of flowers, respond well to this homeopathic treatment.
12. Dulcamara : People, suffering from the allergic reactions due to moisture and dampness, are cured with this medicine.
13. Arsenic album : It is effective in the allergies, caused by fruits, aerated drinks, iodine, and rotten food.
14. Sepia : This medicine holds back the allergy, caused by warm boiled milk.
15. Argentum nit : This homeopathic remedy is for curing allergy, caused by sugar.
16. Tellurium : Tellurium is good for allergy, caused due to rice.
17. Thuja : Thuja is the medicine given to the patients, allergic from onion, sweets, and fatty meats.