The most sensitive part of the body, which always has a threat of getting chapped and dried, is lips. As winters advances, the problem of chapping and dryness of lips increases even more. Moreover, cracked and desiccated lips lose their gloss swiftly, and are not good to look at. Such lips can even get infected very easily. To look good and to liberate yourself from getting any kind of infection, it is essential to give proper care and treatment to the lips. So, if you want to get stunning lips, like Angelina Jolie, follow the natural remedies given in the article.
Causes of Dry and Chapped Lips
There are certain causes that lead to dry and chapped lips, such as:
- Licking lips again and again
- Improper care of lips
- Breathing through mouth
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (a chemical that is widely found in toothpastes)
- Excess consumption of vitamin A
- Acid present in citrus fruits
- Dry cold or heat
- Exposure to sun
- Cosmetic products
- Certain medications and conditions, like thyroid, psoriases, diabetes and Down’s syndrome
- Excessive smoking
- Change in climatic conditions
Video: How to Get Rid of Chapped Lips
Home Remedies for Dry and Chapped Lips
The following home remedies would help you out in curing chapped and dry lips, naturally.
1. Sugar : Sugar is a natural softener, which exfoliates the dead cells of the chapped lips and restores their smoothness. Mix some sugar with one teaspoon of honey and apply the paste on your lips. Then, with the help of your fingers, gently rub the mixture around the lips to slacken off the dead cells. Let it rest for a few seconds and then, wash it with lukewarm water.
2. Honey : Honey is a great moisturizer to heal the cracked and chapped lips. It has anti-bacterial properties, which treat the lips well. Simply apply pure honey on lips, several times a day. Honey can also be mixed with glycerine and applied on the lips.
3. Rose Petals : The rose petals can also come to rescue when your lips are in need of protection. To use rose petals as lip softener, wash a handful of leaves in water and soak them in milk or glycerine for a few hours. Make a thick paste and apply it each night, before going to bed. This home remedy is the best cure for dry lips, and it also enhances shine and gloss of lips.
4. Coconut Oil : Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer that can help heal chapped lips, caused by cold or dry weather. Simply apply pure coconut oil, several times a day, on your lips to keep them moist. You can also use olive oil or mustard oil.
5. Castor Oil : Application of castor oil, several times a day, is also a good treatment for severely dry and chapped lips. You can also apply a mix of few drops of lemon juice and glycerine before going to bed. It should be washed off with a cotton ball, soaked in warm water.
6. Milk Cream : The milk cream is a great natural lip moisturizer, which can be used daily by directly applying on lips and gently washing it with lukewarm water. This is an excellent treatment for severe dry lips.
7. Aloe Vera Gel : The healing properties of aloe vera are well known to everyone and it also helps a person having dry and chapped lips. Aloe vera gel can be applied directly on lips, which besides healing the chapping, also relieves the pain. Though, the taste of aloe vera is unpleasant, but it has powerful remedial features.
8. Cucumber : Another simple and natural solution for chapped lips is cucumber. Either cucumber juice or a slice of cucumber can be applied over lips to make them gentle and soft. This is the best cure for dry lips.
9. Petroleum Jelly : Petroleum jelly is the best and easiest way of treating dry lips. Simply apply petroleum jelly over lips, several times a day, to provide them proper nourishment and protection.
Before applying petroleum jelly, a thin coat of honey can also be applied. Remove the coating in the morning, after keeping it overnight, with the help of a cotton ball dipped in warm water. Repeat the remedy twice a day.
10. Water : “Hydrate yourself” is the best policy that goes well with all the dermal problems. Drink plenty of water as it helps in flushing out the toxins of your skin. It also makes your lips look supple.
12. Mustard Oil : Applying lukewarm mustard oil in the navel is the best cure for very dry lips.
13. Glycerine : Application of pure glycerine helps in treating the lips well. You can also mix glycerine with honey or rose petals.
14. Lukewarm Ghee : You can apply lukewarm ghee or butter in navel or on lips to get rid of chapped and cracked lips.
15. Brown Sugar : Half cup of brown sugar, mixed with two tablespoons of almond or olive oil, is beneficial when applied on cracked lips. It is a good at home cure for dry lips.
Some Do’s and Don’ts
There are some do’s and don’ts that should be followed to prevent the problem of dry lips.
- Apply sunscreen based (SPF 15) moisturizer or lip balm to avoid dark, dry and scaly lips, before stepping out of home.
- Drink a lot of water.
- Vitamin A rich diet should be consumed, which includes tomatoes, carrots and green leafy vegetables.
- Apply lip balm before you sleep. If possible, use balms containing shea or cocoa butter.
- Never peel off the dead dry skin from the lips, instead clean it with a cotton ball soaked in warm water or with the help of soft bristled toothbrush.
- Never lick or bite the skin of lips.