Food poisoning or food-borne illness caused by consuming contaminated or tainted food, containing toxins, chemicals, and infectious agents, like bacteria, parasites, and virus. However, most people get better without the help of any medication, but sometimes the ailment takes a serious form in which, doctor’s consultation is needed.
Signs and Symptoms of Food Poisoning
There are various symptoms that can help to identify that the person is infected from food poisoning. These are:
- Abdominal cramps
- Excessive salivation
- Stomach pain
- Tears in the eyes
- Mental confusion
- Partial loss of vision or speech
- Dry mouth
- Muscle paralysis
- Difficulty in swallowing food
Home Remedies for Food Poisoning
1. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
To get instant relief from food poisoning, apple cider vinegar is the best option. Its alkaline nature eases various symptoms of food poisoning. Consume 2 tablespoons of ACV in warm water before eating any solid food. It kills bacteria and prevents indigestion that causes food poisoning.
2. Peppermint Tea
Drink 3-4 cups of peppermint tea or eat anything that contains peppermint or menthol, like chewing gum or hard candies. Peppermint calms down the contraction in the stomach, help in digesting food, and expel gas. Even a little toothpaste can work for curing this trouble.
3. Re-hydration Mix
One of the excellent natural cures for food poisoning is the re-hydration mix, which can be made by mixing 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon in 1 litre of bottled water. Drink this fresh mix every day at room temperature. The antiseptic properties of lemon help in healing the food poisoning fast.
4. Chicken Broth
Eating chicken broth can pace up the healing process of the patient. When a person is gradually healing from the problem of food poisoning, he/she should be given chicken broth as it is mild and the body will not reject it immediately.
Yes, ginger is helpful in treating a person from food poisoning, as well. Ginger tea, taken after lunch and dinner, stops heart burn and nausea. Even a few drops of ginger juice in honey reduce the inflammation. Eating raw ginger is another alternative, which increases the acid level in your stomach that, in turn, helps in digesting the food more quickly.
6. Fenugreek Seeds and Yogurt
Swallow one teaspoon fenugreek seeds along with a tablespoon of yogurt to cure food poisoning. Remember not to chew the fenugreek seeds. This mixture provides quick relief from stomach pain and vomiting, caused due to food poisoning.
Basil is a superb herb that relieves a person from infection. One can take basil in various forms, like it can be taken as juice along with honey, or its juice can be added in one litre of water, which can be drunk throughout the day to erode infection. Alternatively, basil can be taken by adding three tablespoons of yogurt in it along with a pinch of black pepper and some sea salt. Eat this for about three-four times a day until the symptoms of food poisoning are gone.
Garlic has strong anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, which are effective in fighting with food poisoning. Eat a fresh garlic clove every day. Garlic juice can also be consumed.
On the other hand, mixture of garlic oil and soybean oil can also be rubbed on the stomach after consuming food.
Lemon contains anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, and anti-bacterial compounds, which kills bacteria that cause food poisoning. Lemon is sour in taste, and hence, a teaspoon of lemon juice can be consumed with a pinch of sugar. This can be consumed 2-3 times a day. To clean out the system, lemon juice can also be drunk with a glass of warm water.
The potassium-rich fruit banana helps in reducing the various ill-effects of food poisoning. Bananas are easy on stomach due to their soft texture. You can either eat it or prepare a shake out of it. This is again a natural cure for food poisoning.
Cumin seeds are excellent at curing inflammation, caused by food poisoning. You can either make an herbal tea with it by adding salt and asafoetida, or simply intake it with water after crushing it a little.
12. Herbal Tea
Sipping on herbal teas of various kinds, like chamomile, ginger, green, lemon, peppermint, etc, helps in soothing your stomach and also avoids stomach cramping.
The anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties of honey help in treating indigestion and other food poisoning symptoms. Honey can be added to tea. Three teaspoons of honey can do wonders to your body and relax you from the troubles, caused by food-borne diseases.
Homeopathic Remedies for Food Poisoning
- Arsenicum : This is the most effective medicine for treating food poisoning, especially when vomiting and diarrhoea capture you after having meat.
- Pulsatilla : This medicine gives relief after eating spoiled fish and too much ice-cream.
- China : This homeopathic medicine promotes healthy recovery after suffering from dehydration. When body feels weak after vomiting and diarrhoea, China proves to be an effective medicine.
- Lycopodium : This medicine better helps in recovering the person, who suffered from food poisoning after eating bad shellfish.
How to prevent food poisoning?
- Wash your hands with antiseptic soap before and after having a meal, and whenever you step inside the house.
- Wash your dishes and utensils in warm water to kill the microscopic organisms, like bacteria.
- Use a disinfectant to clean the kitchen slabs, tables, and cutting boards.
- Store food properly to prevent cross-contamination.
- If you are a non-vegetarian, make sure to cook the meat thoroughly until it reaches an internal temperature that can kill the bacteria inside it.
- Avoid eating freshly picked mushrooms
- Do not risk your body by eating the food that is kept in the refrigerator from quite a long time.