Urinary tract infections, or UTIs, occur when the bacteria present in the urinary tract is pushed back into the kidney, bladder, or urethra. Urinary tract infections mostly affect females. It can be really painful and irritating if not treated properly and can spread to the kidneys (leading to kidney infection) if not treated at all. There are several home remedies for a UTI that can be tried in order to prevent the infection from getting worse. However, if the problem persists, you should consult a doctor immediately.
Causes of Urinary Tract Infection
UTI mainly occurs due to the following reasons:
- Cystitis: It is one of the most common causes of UTI. It mainly happens due to sexual intercourse when the harmful bacteria from the gastrointestinal tract cause infection in the bladder. Though, sometimes, females can also develop cystitis without having intercourse.
- Urethritis: When the harmful bacteria are pushed back in the urethra, urethritis occurs.
- Kidney stones;
- Waiting too long to urinate.
- Cloudy or yellow-colored urine;
- Burning sensation while passing urine;
- Frequent feeling to urinate;
- Urination in small quantities;
- Abdominal pain;
- Foul-smell while urinating;
- Traces of blood with urine.
21 Home Remedies for UTI
1. Baking Soda
Baking soda is one of the most effective home treatments for UTIs. Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda to a glass of water and wash the opening of the urethra with this solution. It helps to neutralize the acid content present in the urine, thereby, removing the infection.
2. Drink Plenty of Water
Drink lots of water as it will flush out all the harmful toxins and bacteria from the body resulting in fast removal of the infection.
3. Apply Heating Pad
This is an excellent home remedy for UTI pain. You can place a hot water bottle or heating pad over your abdomen to help soothe the pain caused due to an infection.
4. Cranberry Juice
This is another good home treatment to cure UTI. Drink cranberry juice as it works great and does not allow the bacteria to remain in the urinary tract.
5. Have Pineapple
The enzyme, known as Bromelain, is found in pineapple. This enzyme imparts anti-inflammatory properties to this fruit and is helpful in trimming down UTI symptoms. Either eat a cup of fresh pineapple or drink the juice of half a pineapple on the daily basis. Avoid using the canned version.
6. Blueberry Juice
Drink blueberry juice (without adding artificial sweetener) or have some blueberries early in the morning. Blueberry is a good home remedy for UTI in women.
7. Try Aromatherapy
This is also one of the best natural remedies for UTIs. Take some sandalwood oil, bergamot oil, tea tree oil, juniper oil, and frankincense, and mix them well. Now, apply this mixture to the areas closer to the bladder. This process should be repeated for about 3-4 days in order to eliminate the symptoms.
8. Try Fruit Juices
You can also have lemon juice, carrot juice, or coconut water to eliminate harmful bacteria from the body. Sugarcane juice also works wonders in order to control and prevent a urinary tract infection.
9. Radish Juice
Drink a cup of radish juice on a regular basis to get relief from the UTI.
10. Banana Stem
Take out the juice of the banana stem and drink it to get rid of the urinary tract infection.
11. Eat Vitamin C Rich Fruits
Have fruits with a high content of Vitamin C, such as oranges, guavas, kiwi, melons, raspberries, and tomatoes. Vitamin C helps to kill the bacteria present in the urinary tract.
12. Tea Tree Oil
Mix an equal proportion of tea tree oil, sandalwood oil, and juniper oil. Now, rub it over the abdominal area for 3-4 days. This is a proven home remedy to treat UTI.
Alternatively, mix 6 drops of tea tree oil and 2 teaspoons of plain yogurt in warm bathwater. Soak in this water for about 8-10 minutes for 10 days.
13. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar also helps to flush out the bacteria accumulated in the urinary tract. Take a glass of water and add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to it. You can also add some honey and lemon juice to it. Drink it twice a day.
14. Cod Liver Oil Supplements
You can take cod liver oil supplements in order to fight against UTI. Cod liver oil also helps to boost up the immune system while making the body strong to fight off any type of bacteria or viruses.
15. Blue Brinjal Leaves
Boil some blue brinjal leaves in water, and consume them at least 2 times a day. This is an excellent natural treatment for urinary tract infections.
16. Lotus Petals & Rose Petals
Boil some lotus petals and pink rose petals for some time. Strain, and then drink this concoction at least thrice a day in order to cure a urinary tract infection.
17. Take Over-the-counter Medication
To get relief from the abdominal pain caused due to the UTI, take over-the-counter tablets, such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen. This will also help relieve the fever and other symptoms.
18. Chameli Plant
Boil chameli plant for some time, and then drink it after straining. Take this once a day to get relief from the urinary tract infection.
Take 3 tablespoons of powdered coriander and mix it with 1 tablespoon of powdered rock candy in 3 cups of water. Leave it overnight. Drink a cup of this water the next day, at least thrice a day. This is a good remedy to treat the infection of the urinary tract.
20. Barley Water
Add one teaspoon of roasted barley water and ½ teaspoon of unrefined sugar (or powdered rock candy) into a cup of water. Drink this mixture twice a day. This combination is an excellent diuretic and a perfect cure for UTI.
21. Indian Gooseberry
Take 1 teaspoon of Indian gooseberry powder with a glass of water every morning before eating breakfast. It is a tested remedy for UTIs.
If not, mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and Indian gooseberry powder in a cup of water. Boil it until the water reduces to half. Drink the residue thrice a day for 3-5 days.
Does AZO cure UTI?
Before you go to the doctor to get treatment for a urinary tract infection, you can take over-the-counter medicine, known as ‘AZO Urinary Pain Relief’ or ‘AZO Urinary Pain Relief Maximum Strength’. You can take these tablets for about 2 days to cure the painful symptoms of the UTI. But, make sure you tell your doctor if you are having this medication. You can take AZO Cranberry tablets once your UTI is cured in order to maintain the health of the urinary tract.
Herbal Remedies for UTI
There are several herbal remedies, which are also used to cure a urinary tract infection:
1. Uva Ursi: this herb contains a compound, known as arbutin, which kills the bacteria present in the lining of the urinary passage. It also helps in stimulating urination.
Note: Children, nursing or pregnant women, and people with liver or kidney disease should not take this herb.
2. Horsetail is a good diuretic, which aids in the proper urine flow as well as stops bleeding during urinary tract infections.
3. Echinacea works as a natural antibiotic. Therefore, it helps to fight against the viruses and bacteria that are the main cause of infection in the urinary tract.
4. Parsley seeds are also helpful in treating urinary tract infection as it reduces the inflammation and pain caused due to the UTI.
5. Mullein: another effective herb for treating the inflammation caused due to the UTI is Mullein.
6. Horseradish is a natural antibiotic, which is good for controlling the infection of the urinary tract.
7. Goldenseal: the compound berberine found in this herb stops bacteria from sticking to the urethra walls.
Homeopathic Remedies for UTI
1. Aconitum apellus : this remedy is useful when there is a feeling of anxiousness both before and while urinating. It is also good for UTI-burning relief.
2. Belladonna: if there is a frequent feeling of urination along with cramps in the area of the bladder, accompanied by a very small amount of colored urine, this remedy is helpful.
3. Apis mellifica: this remedy can be taken if there is a frequent urge to urinate along with a burning sensation and soreness in the abdominal area.
4. Borax: this remedy is helpful to treat acute cystitis accompanied by pain in the bladder as well as urinary opening.
5. Chimaphila umbellata: if a person has to strain a lot in order to pass the urine, along with a scalding sensation, this remedy works well.
6. Staphysagria: this remedy is quite useful for women if cystitis occurs due to sexual activity. This condition may be accompanied by a feeling of pressure in the bladder even after urinating.
Apart from these, you can try some other homeopathic treatments, like Berberis Vulgaris, cantharis, clematis, lycopodium, equisetum, nux vomica, sepia, and sarsaparilla.
Preventive Measures for Urinary Tract Ifections
- Drink lots of water.
- Urinate immediately every time after you have sexual intercourse with your partner.
- Don’t hold back urine as it may also cause the bacteria to stick.
- Wear cotton panties.
- Have a balanced and nutritious diet.
- Avoid bathing in a bathtub as it may provide a site for the bacteria to grow;
- Avoid douching and scented pads.
- After using the toilet, always wipe in the direction of front to back as this may avoid any germs from getting into the urethral opening.
- Wash your hands properly every time after you use the toilet.
- Avoid alcohol or caffeinated drinks when you are suffering from the UTI.