Dizziness is used to describe a body condition when you get faint or even feel lightheaded or wobbly. It is also accompanied by vertigo– a feeling that the whole world around you is spinning, and you feel as if you are going to fall on the floor, the very next moment.
What Causes Dizziness?
- Insufficient blood supply to the brain due to an abrupt fall in blood pressure or blockage in arteries.
- Loss of vision or vision-related disorders
- Ear-related disorders
- Distortion of the nervous system due to heavy medications, such as anticonvulsants and sedatives.
- Lightheadedness can also be caused if you are suffering from flu, low blood sugar level, cold or some allergy.
- Internal bleeding in your body
- Head injury
What are the Symptoms?
- False senses of motion, like spinning, or things around you are revolving.
- A feeling of faintness (lightheadedness)
- Unsteadiness that causes disequilibrium (imbalance in the body)
- Changes in vision
- Chest pain
- Stiffness in the neck
- Shortness of breath
- Weakness in the limbs
How to Diagnose Dizziness?
You need to see your doctor for a correct diagnosis of your dizziness or check for any symptoms of vertigo.
The doctor will ask most people about their symptoms and medications. After that, a physical examination will be made. During the exam, the doctor will check how you walk, maintain your balance and how the significant nerves of your central nervous system are working.
A hearing test and balance tests may also be performed that includes:
- Eye movement. The doctor will check your eye path when you track a moving object. An eye motion test may also be implemented where water or air are placed in your ear canal.
- Head movement. If the doctor suspects your vertigo is due to benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, the doctor will perform a simple head movement test called the Dix-Hallpike maneuver to establish the diagnosis.
- Posturography. This test tells the doctor the parts of the balance system are giving you problems. You will be asked to stand bare feet on a platform and try to keep your balance under different conditions.
- Rotary chair test. You will be asked to sit in a computer-controlled chair that rotates slowly in a full circle.
- Additional blood tests may be given like blood sugar level check, blood flow, blood vessel health and see for possible infections.
Home Remedies for Dizziness and Vertigo Treatment
Water is one of the essential elements to get rid of dizziness and migraine headaches. Dehydration is one of the foremost symptoms of dizziness and thus, drinking a substantial amount of water will keep the problem at bay.
Ginger is yet another efficacious remedy against dizziness and one of the best vertigo home remedies. Studies have proven that ginger is effective against the problem much more than counter drugs. You can chew raw ginger or consume it in the form of ginger tea, which will cure the problem. It works well by improving the blood circulation throughout the body and thus, an effective cure for dizziness.
Breathing properly can also relieve you from the problem of dizziness. Count from one to five as you inhale, and again count back from five to one as you exhale. In the process, try to fill up your belly with air by imagining that there is a place below your naval region, which you have to fill up. This is actually the process of deep breathing, and it provides an adequate amount of oxygen to the brain and thus, relaxes the nervous system and is a good way to prevent dizziness.
4. Indian Gooseberry and Coriander Seeds
Both the ingredients together make for a terrific herbal remedy for dizziness. Indian gooseberries are a rich source of vitamin A and C. De seed them and make a paste out of them. Add 2 teaspoon of coriander seeds and a glass of water to them. Leave the mix overnight. Strain it the next morning and consume it. It will cure the existing dizziness and will prevent the causes and symptoms of dizziness in future.
5. Nutmeg Powder and Cumin Seeds
This one is supposed to be consumed if you suffer from dizziness, periodically. Mix together both the ingredients- nutmeg and cumin seed powder. Mix well and consume it thrice a day for beneficial treatment against dizziness.
Simple exercises can be really helpful in solving the complex problem of dizziness. All you need to do is to stand straight and move your neck in both directions- clockwise and anti-clockwise. Similarly, you can stand and concentrate at one fixed point and simply blink your eyes. It will keep your nervous system alert and steadier and won’t cause problems, like dizziness and fatigue.
7. Mustard and Salt
This method is also effective for keeping up a smooth blood circulation. Mix mustard, salt, vinegar and pepper in equal proportions. Add a glass of water to it and consume it to say bye to dizziness.
Massage has its own calming and soothing properties to squelch various ailments, and it can efficaciously treat the problem of dizziness as well. Massage boosts blood circulation in your body, thus relaxing your nervous system, which can cure the problem of dizziness. Go for a lavender oil massage for the added benefits.
One of the best home remedies for dizziness and nausea is yogurt. Yogurt does more good to your body than harm, and that is why research has proven its goodness in the treatment of dizziness. Whenever you feel dizziness or even initiating symptoms of dizziness, have a bowl full of yogurt to get a relief from the problem. You can also add fresh fruit slices to it.
10. Almonds and Pumpkin Seeds
If you want a long lasting cure against dizziness, this one is the best formula. Take 3 tbsp of wheat along with 12 almonds and a few pumpkin seeds. Mix together and let them get soaked overnight. Next day, make a smooth paste out of the mix and add some cloves to it. Now, boil the whole mixture with milk. For adding a little sweetness, you can add some sugar to it.
When you are suffering from dizziness and experience an imbalance in the equilibrium of your body, lie down and concentrate on the immobile objects around you, which will distract your mind from dizziness symptoms, like nausea, lightheadedness, etc. Besides, it will also help to restore the equilibrium of your body back to its normal level.
One of the best known and tried home remedy for dizziness is lemon juice. It is the simplest of all the remedies and improves glucose levels inside your body, quite effectively and quickly. Just squeeze ½ a lemon in a glass of water and mix 2 tsp sugar in it. Drink it.
Basil is an ancient home remedy and has been curing many ailments of skin and body. Put a few basil leaves (3-4) and boil them with milk for a while. Consume that milk before going to bed and it will cure your problem of dizziness, permanently.
One of the best remedies for vertigo is to include more and more garlic in your diet. Boil few crushed garlic cloves with a cup of water. Let it steep for a few minutes. Then, strain the solution and drink it.
15. Celery Juice
If low blood pressure is the reason of dizziness, you can cure it by drinking fresh celery juice.
16. Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey
Mix 2 tsp each of honey and apple cider vinegar in a glass of cold or hot water. Drink it three times a day. This remedy will regulate the blood pressure, thus alleviating the signs of dizziness.
17. Iron Supplement
Another one from the best home remedies for vertigo dizziness checklist is the increased intake of spinach, dried beans, lentils, cooked soybeans, and blackstrap molasses. All these are rich in iron content and help in overcoming the problem of anemia, reducing the risk of dizziness. You can also take iron capsules, available at medical shops.
18. Ginko Biloba
This is a good herbal remedy for treating dizziness. Ginko biloba cures some of the problems of the inner ear by increasing blood circulation towards this area. This herb is available in dried leaf form, liquid extract and as a tablet.
It is another good remedy for dizziness. It is available in liquid extract, tablet and capsule form. It helps in curing dizziness by improving circulation of the blood.
20. Chamomile Tea
Sip on a cup of chamomile tea in order to keep at bay the causes of dizziness, like mental tension.
Homeopathic Remedies for Dizziness
Besides herbal and natural home remedies, you can try the following homeopathic remedies to stop dizziness.
This medication is used for those people, who are generally aged and suffering from an overdose of tobacco. It is also used for conditions when the brain feels numb and things get worse while lying on the bed.
It is useful in conditions when a person feels dizziness while lying down and while getting up. This type of condition is accompanied by blurred vision and things get worse when you turn your head around suddenly. It gives you the same feeling as if you are drunk.
3. Cocculus indicus
This one is effective against motion sickness and related problems. It is often accompanied by digestive problems. If you look out of a car or train or any other moving object and feel nausea and dizziness, this one is for you.
This is for people, who feel dizzy while looking at the running water.
It is effective against dizziness and problems that are caused in the morning, especially due to an empty stomach. It will also be beneficial for curing fainting and trembling.
When there is a tendency to fall forward and dizziness due to head related problems, this medication will work to treat the problem.
7. Argentum nitricum
When a person walks on the streets and feels that the surrounding things will fall on him, he/she needs to take Argentum nitricum, which is extremely useful in treating the problem efficaciously.
8. Nux vomica
This one is useful for conditions when you feel dizziness in a crowded place and see bouncing lights around you.
Follow the below-given measures to put a stop to dizziness.
- Improve your eating habits. Consume a balanced diet that is healthy and low in cholesterol. Also, make a habit to take your meals on time.
- Sometimes, reading while traveling may cause motion sickness followed by dizziness and hence, should be avoided if you experience such type of problem.
- Drink plenty of fluids, like water, juices of orange, lemon, etc.
- Avoid working overtime. Take sufficient rest and sleep well during nights.
- Go for a yoga session and mediation that will help you come out of the problem effectively.
- When you are feeling dizzy, avoid rapid changes in the postures of your body.