Vertigo is a feeling of dizziness, which is caused due to the problem in the vestibular labyrinth region of the ear. In vertigo, patients feel that everything is moving or spinning, even if, they are standing still or lying down with eyes closed. He/she may also experience a sensation of nausea or loss of balance. Sometimes allergies results in building up of fluid in the middle ear, which may also lead to vertigo. Let’s discuss the causes, symptoms and cures for vertigo.
Vertigo or balance disorder can be caused due to several factors, like:
- High cholesterol level
- Infection in the inner ear
- Lack of sleep
- Thyroid disease
- Blood vessel disease
- Prolonged bed rest
- Head injuries
- Calcium deficiency
- Brain tumour in cerebellum
- Certain medicines
- Brain tumour
- Poor vision
- Multiple sclerosis
- Meniere’s disease
- Motion sickness
- Feeling that everything is moving
- Difficulty in standing still and walking properly
- Everything appears double
- Hard to swallow anything
- Weak limbs
- Difficulty in focusing and hearing
- Blurred vision
- Pain in the ear
- Facial paralysis
Home Remedies for Vertigo
For a comprehensive course on treating the root causes of vertigo, click here! Otherwise, here are some natural remedies to treat vertigo at home.
1. A Good Night Sleep
Lack of sleep is one of the reasons that lead to vertigo. Therefore, sleep well, and most of your problems will go away.
2. Coriander Seeds
Take 1 tablespoon of coriander seeds and soak them in water along with 1 tablespoon of gooseberry powder. Do this in the night and strain it in the morning. After straining, add half tablespoon of sugar and drink it right away. This remedy will treat vertigo naturally.
3. Almonds and Watermelon Seeds
Watermelon seeds and almonds are really great for vertigo. Soak together 8 almonds, 8 watermelon seeds, 2 tablespoons of wheat grain and 1 tablespoon of poppy seeds in water for the whole night. In the morning, make a thick paste of all the ingredients. Now, put a pan on the flame and add 1 tablespoon of ghee. Fry 2 cloves in it and add the paste that you made. Mix this paste in the milk and drink. Repeat this procedure for a week. This will help you to get relief in vertigo.
Prepare a lemon beverage. Take a glass full of lukewarm water, add black pepper, a pinch of salt and squeeze half lemon in it. Mix well and drink it. Else, sprinkle lemon peel in your salad. Lemon is a natural remedy for vertigo.
5. Water and Juices
Keep your body hydrated. You should drink at least 10 glasses of water on a daily basis. Drink fresh and organic juices as they are rich in fibers.
Grab some fresh and ripe strawberries and mash them in fresh yogurt. Have it. This is a very quick, healthy and easy homemade remedy for those, who are suffering from vertigo.
Drink ginger tea or eat a piece of raw ginger. This will help to control nausea, associated with vertigo.
Basil is a herbal remedy for vertigo. You can either chew basil leaves or add them in your tea.
9. Almond Milk
Almond contains 26% carbohydrates, vitamin E, vitamin B, and fibers. Take some almonds and soak them in water, overnight. Now, make a fine paste and mix this almond paste in a glass of lukewarm milk. Drink it. Almond milk will help to cure vertigo.
10. Herbs for Vertigo
Butcher’s broom helps in curing vertigo, caused due to Meniere’s disease. Another beneficial herb is wild indigo. The antimicrobial properties of this herb will help in curing the underlying causes of vertigo.
Take the help of yoga and meditation. These are the best vertigo home treatment.
Homeopathic Remedies for Vertigo
Apart from home remedies, homeopathic remedies can be a great solution of vertigo. Some of the homeopathic remedies for vertigo are:
1. Conium : Conium is taken when vertigo is occurred due to too much use of tobacco.
2. Iodine : Iodine is given to old or aged patients, who complain of chronic congestive vertigo.
3. Ambra grisea : Ambra grisea is often given to old people, who complain of nervous vertigo.
4. Ferrum metallicum : If you have vertigo and you are anaemic, then this homeopathic remedy can surely help you out.
5. Bryonia : Bryonia provides relief to those, who suffers with gastric vertigo along with nausea.
Other effective home remedies are Cocculus, Aconite, Causticum, Cinchona, Rhus toxicodendron, Natrum salicylicum, Phosphorous, Theridion, and Argentum nitricum.
How to Prevent Vertigo?
Vertigo can be prevented by following the below given measures.
- Quit smoking and tobacco.
- Avoid consuming alcohol.
- Sleep at least for 9 hours.
- Avoid taking caffeine.
- Drink lots of water.
- Take fresh and organic fruits and vegetables juices.
- Develop a habit of eating salads.
- Spend some time doing exercises.
- Do yoga and meditation.
- Eat healthy food.
- Do not take stress.
- Develop a healthy lifestyle.
- Avoid sudden jerky movements.
- Don’t keep your head tilted back for a long time.
- More tips on preventing and treating vertigo available here