Nobody wants to have stinky feet. It affects the whole personality of that person, who suffers from it. Foot odour is really an embarrassing and awkward problem. Sweaty feet can be the reason of stinky feet. Though, sweat is itself odourless, but when it mixes with certain types of bacteria, it creates a bad odour. So, before smelly feet turn your friends off, put an end to this problem with the help of home remedies.
The causes that lead to stinky feet are:
- Sweaty feet
- Lack of ventilation for your feet
- Athlete’s foot
- Moist or warm feet
- Tight footwear
- Poor hygiene
Home Remedies for Stinky Feet
Home remedies are the best cures for stinky feet. Let’s take a look at some of the homemade natural remedies for the treatment of foot odour.
1. Clean your Feet : Take a good foot scrub and apply it on your feet. Scrub your feet by using force. Do this for 5 minutes or more. Then, wash it off with warm water, and pat dry. Apply a hand sanitizer. This will destroy the smelly odour from your feet.
2. Vinegar and Alcohol : Take ½ cup of vinegar and ½ cup of isopropyl alcohol. Mix them together. Apply it on your feet. It will kill the bacteria, without harming or irritating your skin.
3. Talcum Powder : Apply any talcum powder on your feet. This will keep the sweat away and remove the stinky smell.
4. Baking Soda : Take a small amount of baking soda on your palms and rub it on your feet. Baking soda will prevent the bacteria from mingling with your sweat; hence, your feet won’t smell stinky. Put some baking soda in your shoes or sneakers as well as in your socks to avoid the unpleasant odour from spreading.
5. Cornstarch : Apply some amount of cornstarch on your feet. This will help to prevent excessive sweating, thereby alleviating foot odour.
6. Bleach : Pour lukewarm water in a tub or bucket and add a few drops of bleach in it. Now, sit down, relax and soak your feet in bleach water. Repeat this once a week. If you feel like your feet have become dry, then use some baby oil.
7. Green Tea : Take some green tea bags. Pour lukewarm water in a bucket. Soak the tea bags in water for 10 minutes. Then, dip your feet in it and relax. Green tea will destroy all the bacteria, which causes foul smell.
8. Salt : Take some kosher salt and add it in the lukewarm water. Soak your feet in it. Then, let your feet to dry naturally.
9. Vinegar : Soak your feet in vinegar water. Add a small quantity of vinegar in lukewarm water, and soak your feet in it for as many minutes as you want.
10. Baby Powder : Sprinkle some baby powder in your shoes. This will keep your feet dry for a very long time.
11. Zinc : Zinc is helpful in eliminating foot odour. Therefore, consume zinc-containing supplements, like apple.
12. Foot Relaxer : Take ½ cup of peroxide, your favourite body wash, and ½ cup of baking soda. Mix them all in a tub full of lukewarm water and put your feet in it. Soak for 15 minutes. Then, rub your feet using a pumice stone. Pumice stone will remove the dead skin. Pat dry after you are done.
13. Listerine Mouthwash : Add a few drops of Listerine mouthwash in lukewarm water and soak your feet in it. Listerine works as a bacteria killer. This will freshen out your feet.
14. Lavender Oil : Soak your feet in lukewarm water with a few drops of lavender oil in it. This will make your feet smell great, and will also kill the bacteria. You can also rub a few drops of lavender oil on your feet.
15. Ginger Ointment : Take fresh ginger and make a puree out of it. Take 1 cup of hot boiling water and add this ginger puree in it. Strain the ginger water after 10 minutes. You will get a thick ointment like substance; rub it on your feet before going to bed. Do this for a couple of days. You will see the difference.
16. Cloves : Put some cloves in your footwear. This remedy will keep your feet fresh.
17. Sugar : Mix together isopropyl alcohol, sugar and water. Make sure, you have sand like thick consistency. Soak your feet for 10 minutes in lukewarm water. Then, apply the sugar scrub on your feet and rub roughly. Sugar scrub will remove the dead skin and alcohol will destroy the bacteria.
18. Vicks : Rub vicks on the surface of a bucket or tub and pour hot water in it. Soak your feet in the vicks water for 10 minutes. After that, pat dry and apply baby powder to your feet, thoroughly. Repeat this once a week.
19. Hand Sanitizer : Apply hand sanitizer on your feet. This will also kill the bad odour.
20. Neosporin : Take Neosporin on your palms and rub on your feet like a moisturiser. Then, wear your socks and leave it overnight. In the morning, your feet will look fresh, and the odour will be gone.
21. Deodorant : Put some deodorant in your socks and shoes. Though, this is a temporary solution, but works great.
22. Pumice Stone : Rub pumice stone on your feet, every day, while taking a shower. This will exfoliate the dead skin, thereby preventing the bacterial growth and foot odour.
23. Tea Tree Oil : Take a few drops of tea tree oil and rub it on your feet, every night and every morning, and wear socks. Tea tree oil will kill the infection, leaving odourless feet. You can also use tea tree oil containing products.
24. Lemon Tea Bags : Take 3 lemon tea bags and soak them in warm water. Soak your feet in this water for 15 minutes and wash it off. Apply a regular moisturiser. Wear your socks and leave it overnight. Lemon will destroy the bacteria and moisturiser will moisten the skin of your feet.
26. Oatmeal : Take oatmeal and soak it in warm water. After soaking, oats will become soft. Rub it on your feet like a scrub. Wash it with lukewarm water, afterwards. Pat dry, apply a moisturiser and wear socks.
27. Epsom Salt : Take 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt and mix it in a bucket, half filled with lukewarm water. Put your feet in it for 15 minutes and then, pat dry.
28. Borax Solution : Sprinkle borax powder in your shoes and wait till the powder seems to disappear. Borax will prevent the bacteria to form, and your feet won’t be sweaty till the powder lasts.
29. Sage : Take few fresh sage leaves and put it in your shoes. This will freshen up the feet and reduce the amount of sweat.
30. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) : Take ½ cup of apple cider vinegar and mix it in lukewarm water. Soak your feet in ACV water for 10 minutes and then, wash it off with warm water. Pat dry and apply any talcum powder and wear socks.
31. Vodka : Soak your feet in vodka. Vodka will kill any kind of bacteria and infection.
32. Jell-O : Take lemon Jell-O and mix it in warm water. Soak your feet until the Jell-O begins to set. Then, rinse off your feet with any soap, thoroughly. Pat dry and apply moisturiser.
33. Vegetable Oil : Take a few drops of vegetable oil in your palms and rub it well on your feet and wear socks.
34. Vaseline : Soak your feet in warm water for 10-15 minutes, and clean with pumice stone. Dry thoroughly and apply Vaseline on your feet. Wear socks. Leave it overnight. Vaseline will soften your skin and prevent the growth of bacteria.
35. Alum : Alum has antiseptic and astringent properties. Mix a tsp of alum powder in a cup of warm water. Use it to wash your feet. Then, sprinkle some alum powder on them. Practice it at least once a day.
How to Prevent Smelly and Stinky Feet?
You can prevent stinky feet by following the given below measures.
- Wear clean socks.
- Put your shoes in the sunlight. Sunlight will destroy the bacteria, present in the shoes.
- Wash your feet twice a day.
- Apply regular moisturiser on your feet.
- Try to keep your feet dry as much as possible.
- Wear sandals or open shoes to allow your feet to breathe.
- Instead of polyester socks, wear cotton socks.
- Wash your socks in bleach.
- Do not take too much stress.
- Drink less alcohol.
- Use a good foot scrub.
- Apply foot powder.