Thick and shiny tresses are the dream of every woman. But, several factors lead to loss of huge chunks of hair, which is really embarrassing. We all hunt for a quick fix for this problem. However, several home remedies work great in reducing hair loss. Before stepping into the homemade solutions, let’s take a glance at the causes of hair loss.
Symptoms of Hair Loss
Some of the symptoms that warn us about hair loss are:
- Gradual thinning on top of head
- Full-body hair loss
- Sudden loosening of hair
- Circular or patchy bald spots
Causes of Hair Loss
- Lack of appropriate nutrition
- Split ends
- Mental strain
- Medication, like steroids
- Prolonged illness
- Hormonal imbalance
- Excessive smoking
- Vitamin B6 and folic acid deficiency
- Untidy scalp
- Diseases, like thyroid
- Damage to hair due to use of hair straighteners and curlers, braiding tightly or pulling hair back tightly
Home Remedies for Hair Loss
1. Coconut Milk
Coconut milk is one of the richest sources to nourish the tissues of hair. Coconut milk can be obtained by grinding the grated coconut and squeezing its juice (milk). This is a natural home remedy to prevent hair loss.
2. Aloe Vera
Pure aloe gel or aloe juice can be applied directly to the scalp. This can treat hair loss, which is caused due to dry or infected scalp. After massaging the scalp with juice or gel, wait for a few hours and wash it away with lukewarm water.
Use of aloe vera with triphala powder for 3-6 months also treats hair loss.
3. Oil Massage
Regular massage of hair and scalp with lukewarm oil stimulates the blood flow. Coconut oil is considered the best among other oils. Some other recommended oils are olive, jojoba, mustard, castor and almond.
4. Indian Lilac (Neem)
Neem is a plant, which is ornamented with all the essential qualities. It is anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-diabetic, sedative, and antiseptic in nature. It is not only useful in diseases but is also an excellent home remedy for hair loss. Boil leaves of neem in water until the water remains half. Let it cool and wash your hair once in a week with this water.
5. Gooseberry (Amla)
Boil some dried amla in coconut oil till the oil gets black. Massaging the scalp with this oil will prove to be very effective. Amla can also be used alternatively by making its paste with shikakai. Apply the thick paste and wash it after a few minutes.
Note- Avoid shikakai if you have dry hair.
Juice of gooseberry and lime juice can be used as a shampoo to treat hair fall. Amla is also helpful when mixed with honey.
6. Onion and Garlic
Both onion and garlic are a rich source of sulphur, and they help in the growth of hair. To apply onion, you need to chop it finely and extract out the juice. Massage the scalp well with this juice and wash off with a mild shampoo.
Onion can also be used with honey as a hair mask.
Garlic can be applied on the scalp by boiling it with coconut oil. Massage the scalp with this potion, two to three times a week, for best results.
Hibiscus flower has revitalizing properties, and it nourishes hair. Along with preventing untimely growth of grey hair, it also keeps dandruff at bay. Hibiscus also helps in preventing hair loss.
Eggs are a rich source of sulphur, iron, protein, phosphorus, iodine and zinc. It is an excellent remedy for re-growth of hair, especially when combined with olive oil.
Egg yolk and honey can also be applied as a natural healer for hair loss.
9. Pigeon Pea or Red Gram
Application of fine and thick paste of red gram or pigeon pea is an effective way of curing hair loss, naturally.
10. Lime and Black Pepper Seeds
Seeds of lime and black pepper, when ground finely and applied on the scalp, prove to be a very good cure for averting hair loss.
Fenugreek can also be applied to hair to prevent hair loss. It also softens the strands and provides lustre to them. Make a fine paste of dried fenugreek seeds and apply it as a hair mask.
Henna is widely used in Asian countries and is regarded as a major source of hair strengthening. Some people apply it as a hair mask by mixing powdered henna in curd.
Alternatively, henna can also be used in leaf form. Boil 60g of henna leaves with 250ml of mustard oil until all the leaves burn entirely. Filter the oil with muslin cloth and store the oil in an airtight jar. Apply the oil on a daily basis to seek good results. Henna can also be applied by mixing it with beetroot juice.
13. Homemade Hair Packs
- Pack 1: Mixture of aloe vera, shikakai, amla, and neem powder can be applied to get thick and lustrous hair.
- Pack 2: Paste of henna, egg whites and curd together stops hair fall.
- Pack 3: Hair pack, prepared by mixing together olive oil, honey, and cinnamon, is also an effective hair growth pack.
14. Camphor and Curd
Take an equal amount of curd and camphor. Mix them and apply on the bald patches. Let it dry for at least two hours and then, wash. This treatment helps to fight with the problem of hair loss and baldness.
15. Coriander Leaves
Take fresh coriander leaves and make a thick paste with it. Apply it on the scalp to cure the problem of hair loss, naturally.
Apply ground liquorice, mixed with milk and a pinch of saffron, for hair fall treatment.
17. Geranium or Rosemary Leaves
Rinsing the hair with water, in which, geranium or rosemary leaves have been boiled, is a good natural remedy for curing hair loss at home.
Rosemary herb is believed to have properties, which can keep hair healthy and luscious. Mix one part of rosemary oil with two parts of almond oil. Massaging the scalp with it for twenty minutes a day can prove to be beneficial. This is an excellent remedy for hair loss in women.
18. Ash Gourd
It also is an effective remedy for stopping hair fall.
19. Apple Cider Vinegar and Sage Tea
Rinsing hair with a mixture of apple cider vinegar and sage tea is again a helpful remedy. Apple cider vinegar helps in maintaining the balance of hair, thereby reducing hair loss.
20. Curry Leaves
Curry leaves are a natural home remedy to treat baldness.
Arnica tincture, mixed with warm water, can be applied twice in a day in the form of a cream, ointment, or hair rinse to soothe the problem of hair loss. Arnica augments the blood circulation and promotes hair growth. This is again an effective remedy for hair loss in women.
Safflower is considered to be an excellent herb for widening blood vessels. Massaging the scalp for twenty minutes with the oil of safflower proves to be a great stimulant for hair growth and augments blood flow.
23. Green Tea
Take 2 bags of green tea and brew them into one cup of water. Allow it to cool. Then, apply it on your hair. Wash off after 1 hour.
24. Potatoes and Rosemary
Boil rosemary and potatoes in water. Then, filter the liquid and utilize it as a hair rinse.
Homeopathic Remedies for Hair Loss
1. Fluoric acid : This medicine treats well when a person is suffering from vertex baldness, weak hair, and Idiopathic hair loss.
2. Phosphoric acid : Phosphoric acid cures the progressive thinning of hair, which has caused because of lot of stress and grief. It also stops early greying of hair.
3. Phosphorus : When you see that handful of hair comes into your hands while combing, or you are facing hair loss due to some hemorrhagic disorder, Phosphorus can help you out better. It will also cure the problem of dry and itchy scalp.
4. Graphites : This homeopathic remedy treats the troubles of hair fall, caused by menopause and constipation. Graphites cure patchy baldness and hair fall on sides.
5. Mezereum : Mezereum is also a great choice when you are losing handful of strands, and you are afflicted with itchy and dry scalp, and dandruff.
6. Sepia : Sepia treats the hair loss, which is caused by menopause or after giving birth to a child.
7. Silica : Frontal hair loss, early greying and baldness at a young age are the main symptoms that are purged with Silica.
The various other medicines to treat hair loss are Natrum mur, Psorinum, Selenium, Medorrhinum, Lachesis, Merc sol, Lycopodium, Kali carb, and Borax.
Preventive Measure to be Taken for Averting Hair Loss
- Consume food, which is rich in vitamin A, B, C, E, protein and iron.
- Intake flaxseeds, fish and walnuts to get fatty acids, which is essential for natural health of hair.
- Increase the quantity of biotin, silica and zinc in your meal as it induces hair growth as well as keeps the scalp healthy.
- Avoid using hot or warm water for hair wash as it increases hair loss.
- Do not use very hard shampoos on hair; instead, go for mild ones that contain moisturizer.
- Use steam to rejuvenate your hair. Dip a clean towel into hot water, squeeze the excess water and cover your hair with the towel. Leave it till the towel cools down. This increases blood flow towards the scalp and even clean the pores, present on the scalp.
- Rubbing of fingers vigorously on the scalp after washing hair also increases blood circulation and prevents hair loss.
- Drink adequate water.
- Keep the scalp clean and avoid dirt and dust.
- Hair trimming is again a good option for preventing loss of hair.
- Do not tie back hair tightly.
- Do not comb your hair when they are wet, and do not even towel-dry them again and again roughly.
- Avoid blow drying of hair on the daily basis. It damages hair follicles and makes the scalp dry.