Asthma is a chronic inflammatory disease that affects the air passages that carry air from the nasal area and mouth to lungs and vice versa. When a person suffers from asthma, he/she finds it difficult to breathe in outside air and thus, feel suffocated and congested. It can occur in people of all age groups, from a 2-year old kid to a 50-year old man. Since, airways become swollen during asthma, muscles around them get tightened, which causes less air to flow to lungs. Asthma is another disease that does not have a permanent cure, although, symptoms and adversity can be suppressed with treatments and procedures but it can flare up at any point and any day. Luckily, there are many home remedies for asthma which can help to relieve the symptoms.
Getting rid of asthma is not a simple task, but it is possible. If you’re ready to get rid of asthma once and for all, and you don’t want to use risky drugs, we recommend this in-depth guide to learn how. If you want a few tips you can start using right away, keep reading below.
Video: Best Home Remedies for Asthma
- Smoke and tobacco
- Environmental factors, like air pollution
- Stress, tension, and depression
- Lung infection during childhood
- Premature birth
- Certain foods, like fish, soy, eggs, peanuts, etc.
- Difficulty in breathing
- A wheezing or whistling sound while breathing
- Congested chest
- Feeling tired while doing any physical activity
- Frequent cold and cough
- Uneasiness in sleeping
Home Remedies for Asthma
1. Clove : Take 5-6 cloves and boil them in half a glass of water, followed by adding a spoon of honey. It is an excellent remedy in curing asthma at home and should be consumed twice in a day for beneficial results.
2. Ginger : Ginger has so many benefits on your health and body. It is equally effective against asthmatic treatments. Make a juice with equal quantities of ginger, pomegranate, and honey. Consume it 2-3 times a day for effective results.
Else, take one tbsp of ginger juice. Mix it up with a tbsp of honey and two tbsp of dried fenugreek seeds. Soak it overnight and consume it every morning to detoxify your lungs.
3. Mustard Oil : Take some mustard oil and mix camphor in it. Massage with it all over the chest, till you get relief from asthma. Make sure that you warm the oil before massaging with it so that your chest feels the warmth and gets relieved quickly.
4. Figs : Figs are another efficacious home remedy against asthma. Soak some dried figs in water, overnight. Eat them in the morning on an empty stomach. Also, drink the fig water for having effective relief from the problem of asthma.
5. Black Tea/ Coffee : Caffeine present in coffee helps asthma. Besides, it clears your air passage and makes way for air to enter and exit easily through those passages. If you are not a coffee person, you can opt for black tea. But, make sure that you consume no more than 3 cups in a day.
6. Eucalyptus Oil : Eucalyptus essential oil can really lend a hand in keeping asthma at bay and relieving from the existing one. Put a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil in a cup of boiling water and take its steam as it will help in opening up the nasal passages and air passages, so that air can pass through easily.
7. Honey : If you are looking for natural remedies for asthma, honey is the best one. You can consume a teaspoon of honey mixed in hot water at least 2-3 times a day or you can also inhale the aroma of honey. Alternatively, mix one teaspoon of honey with ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Have it before sleeping.
8. Onions : Onions are known to have anti-inflammatory properties, and they are proved to be helpful in clearing air passages. So, if you are suffering from asthma, you should consume more and more onions, be it in raw form in a salad or cooked in vegetables.
9. Fruits and Lemons : Fruits, like strawberries, blueberries, papaya, and oranges have shown benefits to people, suffering from asthma. Also, lemons are rich in vitamin C and should be consumed with water and sugar at least once in a day to get a cure from the disease.
10. Fishes : Consuming fishes, such as salmon, tuna, and sardines can be really effective in treating the problem of asthma. They all make your lungs better and stronger to fight the problem of asthma and treat it quickly and effectively. However, if you cannot consume these fishes in cooked form, then you can opt for their oils.
11. Gooseberries (Amla) : Gooseberries are good for asthma. Crush a few gooseberries and add some honey to them. Consume the mixture and stay away from the problem.
12. Soup : Take a radish and blend it to obtain a juice from it. Mix it with some honey and lemon juice. Consume it as it will help in clearing up your respiratory tract, which will make it easier for you to breathe.
13. Bitter Gourd : Take out the juice of bitter gourd. Add paste of basil and honey to it. Mix them well. This remedy will help in curing asthmatic attacks.
14. Herbal Tea : Herbal tea with a dash of lime juice and crushed ginger can also serve the purpose. Herbal tea, prepared from licorice root, is also an effective treatment for asthma.
15. Fennel Seeds : Consume fennel seeds on a regular basis to get rid of asthmatic attacks.
16. Warm Milk : Add an equal quantity of olive oil and honey to a glass of warm milk. Drink this milk along with a few garlic cloves, before having breakfast. This home remedy provides natural asthma relief.
17. Parsley Leaf : Parsley leaf is a good herbal remedy for asthma cough. Prepare tea from these leaves. It will soothe the throat and chest congestion.
Homeopathic Remedies for Asthma Attack
1. Arsenicum album : A person who feels really worn-out and restless needs this medication, even more so if he/she feels difficulty in breathing, especially while lying down. The problem might be accompanied by frothy white fluid during coughing.
2. Carbo vegetabilis : When a person feels extremely weak or has a feeling of getting faint, this medication is used. Other symptoms may include burping, frequent passing of gas, and an upset stomach.
3. Chamomilla : When a person becomes overexcited or very angry, experiences dry cough with irritation, this medication is helpful. The person also becomes hypersensitive along with the above symptoms.
4. Ipecacuanha : When coughing eventually leads to vomiting, this homeopathic medication is suggested. Other symptoms include accumulation of mucus in the air passages and difficulty in coughing out.
5. Natrum sulphuricum : When a person feels so weak that he/she holds his/her chest while coughing, this medication is recommended. Conditions become worse in the early morning, and the person finds it difficult to breathe while getting up from bed.
Other useful homeopathic medications include Nux vomica, Pulsatilla, and Spogia tosta.
- Always get immunized for pneumonia and influenza, regularly.
- Take proper medications in a timely manner. Do not delay it at all.
- If you feel sudden congestion, use an inhaler instantly.
- Avoid smoking and consuming too cold products, especially in winters as they can deteriorate the condition.
- Go for an allergy test once every six months and have a check that you have not got allergic to anything.
- Do not eat too much fried food as oil can further lead to blockage of airways.
- Stay away from the wood-burning stove or fireplace.
- Practice deep breathing.
- More prevention tips available in this guide
Home Remedies For Asthma: Conclusion
We have highlighted in this article some of the best home remedies for asthma. We hope that the home remedies for asthma in this article help you in some way.
If you suffer from asthma, the information in our list should help to relieve the symptoms of asthma.
Do you have any tips of your own for relieving the symptoms of asthma? We would love to hear your ideas and experiences. Please leave us a comment in the comments section below this article.