Looking for something natural to treat your dry and chemically sensitive skin? If so, you are at the right place! Here are some recipes to prepare your own moisturizer at home. You can easily find the ingredients used in these recipes in your kitchen cabinet. It’s easy to make them and they get absorbed by the skin in no time.
Moreover, you can store them for longer time period in your refrigerator. One of the benefits of homemade moisturizers is that they pamper your skin naturally and help lock the moisture without any side effects. So, you need not wait anymore to get that desired sheen on your face.
The Importance of Moisturizing Your Face
Before we share the 15 best homemade facial moisturizers, what’s the importance of moisturizing your face? Fortunately, a high-quality moisturizer helps your skin to glow and makes it blemish-free and nourished with essential vitamins and minerals.
If you notice that your skin is looking dry and flaky, this is a clear indication that you’re not moisturizing your skin enough or using a rich product. Everyone wants to have soft skin that’s smooth to touch, and the key to this is hydration.
When your skin craves moisture, you’ll notice rough patches and even some discoloration. Fortunately, a high-quality face moisturizer can prevent this from happening. Even if you have oily skin, it’s still important to moisturize daily, though choose a product (or make one) that’s suitable for your skin type.
We associate acne with oily skin, but that isn’t always the case. When your skin becomes dry (due to a lack of moisturizing), your glands have to work harder to produce moisture, but this can create extra sebum that blocks your pores. The result? Breakouts.
Some people with acne-prone skin believe that dry patches mean your skin is clearing up, though you’ll probably find you suddenly break out in more blemishes as a result of the dryness.
Protects Your Skin
Every day, your skin is exposed to pollutants and environmental effects that can cause skin diseases and lead to early signs of aging. Without a protective barrier, your skin is more prone to these effects. Many moisturizers feature an SPF to prevent the sun’s harmful rays from causing permanent damage to your skin. Many of these creams are suitable for summer and cold weather, too.
Protects Sensitive Skin
If you experience redness, itchy patches or dryness, many of our 15 best homemade facial moisturizers are designed to calm these effects. Alternatively, there are many highly-recommended products on the market that are packed with ingredients such as aloe vera and chamomile to protect your skin without irritating any sensitivity.
15 Best Homemade Facial Moisturizers
1. Aloe Vera Face Moisturizer
- Aloe vera gel – 1/3 cup
- Sweet almond oil – 2 tablespoons
- Beeswax – ½ tablespoon
- Jojoba oil – 2 tablespoons
- Favorite essential oils – 10 drops
Put beeswax, jojoba oil and almond oil in a double boiler. Heat all these ingredients till they melt. Combine well. Transfer them to a large bowl. Allow the mixture to cool at room temperature for an hour. Meanwhile, mix essential oils and aloe vera gel. Pour this mixture in the beeswax mixture and blend it using hand blender to make it consistently thick. Store it in an airtight container.
2. Daily Facial Moisturizer with SPF
- Coconut oil – 2 ounces (1/4 cup)
- Frankincense essential oil – 4 drops
- Lavender essential oil – 4 drops
- Myrrh essential oil – 6 drops
- Carrot seed essential oil – 10 drops
Mix all the ingredients in a mixer. Beat the mix until it turns fluffy. Transfer it into a glass jar. Carrot seed essential oil has a SPF between 38 and 40, and coconut oil has between 6 and 8.
3. Non-Greasy Homemade Moisturizer
- Lemon essential oil – 2 drops
- Sweet orange essential oil – 6 drops
- Vitamin E oil – ½ teaspoon
- Coconut oil – 2 teaspoon
- Sweet almond oil – ¼ cup
- Beeswax – 1/8 cup
- Aloe vera juice – ¾ cup
- Before you start preparing the moisturizer, sterilize your containers and jars, and keep them aside.
- Fill a large saucepan with water and put it on stove to boil.
- Mix sweet almond oil, coconut oil and beeswax in a glass jar. Put this jar in the saucepan.
- Pour aloe vera juice in another glass jar and place it in the saucepan.
- Heat until the wax melts in the oils. Thereafter, remove both the jars from the hot water.
- Combine melted oil-wax mix with the heated aloe vera juice, stirring constantly. You can also blend them using blender.
- Add vitamin E oil and essential oils in the lukewarm mixture.
- Transfer the prepared moisturizer to a sterilized jar and preserve it in the refrigerator.
4. Rose Petals Moisturizer
- Aloe vera juice – 2tablespoons
- Rose water
- Rose petals – 1 cup
In a vessel, pour some rose water. Put rose petals in it and boil. Strain the mixture. Let the liquid cool down to room temperature. Now add aloe juice to it. Stir well. Keep it in the refrigerator for some time and then apply on your face. This moisturizer makes your skin looks fresh, and prevents breakout of acne.
5. Olive Oil and Milk Moisturizer
- Extra virgin olive oil – 2 to 3 tablespoons
- Lime juice – 2 to 3 tablespoons
- Fresh milk – ¼ cup
Get a cup and fill it quarter with milk. Mix extra virgin olive oil in it. Stir well. Finally add lime juice. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly. This moisturizer softens your skin, makes it healthy, and sloughs off grime and dead cells, and renders a flawless look.
6. Aloe-Rose Moisturizer
- Jojoba oil – 3 tablespoons
- Aloe vera – 1 teaspoon
- Rose essential oil – 1-2 drops
- Water – 1 tablespoon
- Carnauba wax – 1 tablespoon
In a glass bowl, mix water, jojoba oil and carnauba wax. Meanwhile, boil some water in a saucepan. Put the glass bowl in a saucepan and allow the mixture to melt. Then, take out the bowl from the saucepan and let the mixture cool down. Add rose essential oil and aloe vera gel. Mix thoroughly. Your moisturizer is ready. It moisturizes your skin deeply and acts as an excellent antioxidant.
7. Wax-Essential Oils Moisturizer
- Ylang-Ylang or jasmine oil – 1 drop
- Lemongrass essential oil or Petitgrain – 10 drops
- Peppermint essential oil – 10 drops
- Tea tree essential oil – 10 drops
- Grapefruit seed extract – 10 drops
- Aloe vera gel – 2 tablespoons (25 ml)
- Distilled water or Witch Hazel – ½ cup (125 ml)
- Vitamin E oil – 1 teaspoon (5 ml)
- Stearic Acid – ½ teaspoon
- Emulsifying wax – 2 tablespoons (10 grams)
- Jojoba oil – 1/3 cup (ml)
- Mix together stearic acid, emulsifying wax and all essential oils (except Vitamin E oil) in Pyrex (heat-safe measuring cup).
- Fill a pot with water and put the measuring glass in it. Allow it to warm on a low heat and stir occasionally. When the wax melts, remove it from heat and add Vitamin E oil.
- In a separate heat-safe measuring cup, pour aloe vera and witch hazel. Stir well.
- Gently warm the witch hazel mixture in the microwave or using the water-bath method (as mentioned above). Warm it until it turns lukewarm.
Note- If the witch hazel mixture is too cold, the moisturizer will separate later. Therefore, do not skip this step.
- Pour the witch hazel mixture in the oil mixture. Stir constantly.
- Finally, add the grapefruit seed extract and essential oils.
- Transfer the moisturizer in a sterilized bottle. Before putting the cap, ensure that the mixture is cool. Place it in a cool and dark place.
- Shake the bottle before using the moisturizer.
8. Homemade Ultra-Moisturizer (without Coconut Oil)
- Rosemary essential oil – 10 drops
- Tea tree essential oil – 3 to 5 drops
- Any one nourishing skin oil (jojoba, avocado, apricot, or sweet almond oil) – 2 tablespoons
- Shea butter – ½ cup (4oz)
- Lavender essential oil – 15 drops drops
- Carrot seed oil – 5 to 7 drops
- Melt the Shea butter in a saucepan on medium-low heat. Add nourishing skin oil to it and remove the pan from the heat.
- Transfer Shea butter-oil mixture in a bowl and put it in the freezer. Let it cool so that it turns into semi-solid (not hard).
- After 15-20 minutes, take it out of the freezer. Add carrot seed oil and essential oils to it. Whip until you get creamy texture. Do not over whip it. Store in a jar at room temperature. Apply on face and body whenever required.
9. Fuller’s Earth and Honey Moisturizer
- Fuller’s earth- 2 spoons
- Honey- 1 spoon
- Milk- 1 spoon
Mix all the ingredients to form a paste. Milk and honey moisturizes the skin from inside; fuller’s earth shrinks the open pores.
10. Marigold-Glycerin Moisturizer
- Marigold petals
- Glycerin – 1 teaspoon
Soak marigold petals in water for a few (2-3) hours. Mash these petals with hands and add glycerin to them. Apply it on your face. It will also tone up your skin.
11. Strawberry Moisturizer
- Strawberries (cut and mashed)
- Lemon juice – 1 spoon
- Cream or curd – ½ a cup
Combine together cream or curd, lemon juice and strawberries. Put the mixture in refrigerator for 30 minutes. Apply on your face and leave it on for at least 20 minutes. This will give you an instant burst of moisture to your skin.
12. Wheat Germ Moisturizer
- Wheat germ – 8 tablespoons
- Milk – 1 cup
- Dried chamomile – 1 cup
- Honey – 4 tablespoons
Soak dried chamomile in milk for 2 hours. Then strain out the chamomile. Add wheat germ and honey. Mix well all the ingredients to get a creamy texture. You can store the leftover paste for up to a week in the refrigerator. This moisturizer shrinks the open pores and removes the stretch marks and scars.
13. Avocado- Honey Moisturizer
- Few avocados
- Honey – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice – 1 spoon
- Cream or curd – ½ cup
Churn a couple of avocados in a mixer. Add curd or cream, lemon juice and honey to it. Refrigerate it for 25-30 minutes. Apply it on your face and rinse off after some time.
14. Walnut Moisturizer
- Walnut seeds
- Cream or curd – ½ teaspoon
Grind walnut seeds and mix cream or curd in it. Stir well. Apply on your face and neck. It will rejuvenate your skin instantly.
15. Oatmeal Facial Moisturizer
- Dark organic honey – 2 spoons
- Cooked oatmeal – ¼ cup
- Aloe vera gel – 1 spoon
Mix all the ingredients well. Apply on your face for restoring the moisture of your skin. You can store the paste for one week in the fridge.
Include any of the above moisturizers in your daily beauty regime and feel the difference!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.