We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Indigestion is one of the most common conditions, which occur due to the improper secretion of digestive juices in the stomach. Medically termed as dyspepsia, it is mainly caused due to poor eating habits. It can cause problems, like heartburn, vomiting, bloating, and a burning sensation in the stomach as well as a lot of discomfort. Indigestion can be easily treated with some basic ingredients, which are used almost every day in our day-to-day lives.
- Excess intake of fatty or spicy foods
- Skipping meals
- Gastroesophageal Reflux disease (GERD)
- Stomach infections
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Burning sensation in the stomach
- Pain in the abdominal area
- Acid regurgitation
- Growling stomach
Home Remedies for Indigestion
1. Drink Lots of Water : Water is one of the most effective home remedies to get relief from indigestion. So, drink plenty of water in order to keep the problem away.
2. Fennel Seeds : Fennel seeds are one of the best remedies to cure indigestion as it contains oil, which lessens nausea and improves digestion. Fennel seeds can be munched or taken in the form of a powder. You can drink fennel tea by boiling some crushed fennel seeds in a cup of water.
3. Cumin Powder : Add a teaspoon of cumin powder in 1 glass of water, and drink it to relieve indigestion. It is one of the effectual home remedies to alleviate indigestion.
4. Ginger : Ginger is an effective cure to stop indigestion as it helps in stimulating the digestive juices, thereby improving the digestion, especially if it caused due to over-eating. Mix 2 teaspoons of ginger juice with a teaspoon of lemon juice and a pinch of black salt and table salt. You can drink this mixture with or without water.
Fresh ginger slices can also be taken. Ginger tea is also helpful in treating indigestion.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar : Drink some apple cider vinegar, diluted in water, to get a quick relief from indigestion. You can also mix it with honey and consume this mixture at least thrice a day. Apple cider vinegar is highly antibiotic and works well to treat indigestion.
6. Coriander : Mix some roasted coriander seeds to a glass of buttermilk and drink it up for indigestion relief. You can even prepare a paste of roasted coriander seeds, ground cardamom seeds, ginger and cloves and consume it in order to get relief from indigestion.
7. Baking Soda : Baking soda is an effective antacid to take for acid indigestion. Mix ½ teaspoon of baking soda in 1 glass of water. Drink it in order to neutralize the effect of excessive acids in the stomach.
8. Cinnamon : Cinnamon is a great way to get relief from indigestion symptoms, like bloating and stomach cramps. Put ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder into a cup of boiling water and drink it as tea.
9. Aniseed : Munch on some aniseeds after taking meals to get relief from indigestion.
10. Eat Citrus Fruits : Eat oranges as they are a rich source of citric acids. This will help in maintaining an acid level in the stomach while improving the digestion. You can also drink fresh orange juice or even eat grapes to get relief from the problem.
11. Peppermint : Add a few drops of peppermint extract in a glass of water, and drink it to cure the indigestion.
12. Chamomile : Chamomile is another soothing agent that is useful in treating indigestion. Drink chamomile tea, several times a day, to improve digestion.
13. Drink Herbal Tea : Several herbs are good for stomach, such as raspberry leaf, blackberry and green tea. You can drink tea, made out of these herbs, to eliminate the problem of indigestion.
14. Grapefruit Peel : Grapefruit peel is useful in improving the digestion as it facilitates an easy flow of digestive juices in the digestive tract while also giving relief from the burning sensation that occurs due to poor digestion. Take a grapefruit peel and grate it. Now, let it dry in the sun for some time. Consume ½ teaspoon of dried peel in order to get relief from indigestion.
15. Lemon : Lemon is the best home remedy for acid indigestion. Mix a tablespoon of lemon juice in 1 cup of warm water. Lemon helps to fight against the indigestion-causing bacteria.
16. Garlic and Soya Oil : If you are suffering from stomach ache due to indigestion, mix some crushed garlic and soya oil in equal quantities and gently massage it over your stomach. It will give you a quick relief from pain due to indigestion. You can also place an ice bag to get relief from aching stomach.
17. Buttermilk : Buttermilk is an effective remedy to get rid of poor digestion. Drink buttermilk while taking meals. You can also add a pinch of black salt and roasted cumin seeds, which will make it more effective.
18. Carom (Ajwain) : Carom seeds are the natural treatment for indigestion. Eating a few carom seeds can help relieve the problem of indigestion, gas and even nausea.
19. Cloves : Take 2-3 cloves and much on them. It will help to get rid of the problem of indigestion and flatulence.
20. Indian Gooseberry : Amla is very good for digestion. It improves the bowel movements while preventing constipation and other stomach problems. For best results, eat raw amla early in the morning, before having breakfast.
21. Pineapple Juice : A cup of pineapple juice after meals is very helpful in treating the problem of indigestion.
Homeopathic Remedies for Indigestion
1. Arsenicum album : This remedy is generally used when indigestion is accompanied by symptoms, like chronic stomach ache, vomiting and even diarrhoea.
2. Carbo vegetabilis : When there are symptoms, such as belching, pain in the abdomen and stomach along with flatulence, this remedy is best suited.
3. Bryonia : When bitter or sour tasting acid rises up along with acute stomach ache and a feeling of nausea, this remedy can help a lot.
4. Natrum carbonicum : This remedy is useful to treat mild digestion, which occurs due to a lot of reasons, like milk products, and other foods. The person has to restrict his/her diet to a few eatables.
5. Nux vomica : This remedy is generally used when the indigestion problem occurs due to various stimulants, such as alcohol or spicy foods. It is accompanied by stomach cramps or vomiting.
Apart from these remedies, there are other homeopathic remedies that can be used to treat indigestion, such as Colocynthis, Lycopodium, Natrum phosphoricum, Pulsatilla and Phosphorus.
Preventive Measures to Avoid Indigestion
- Chew your food properly and slowly.
- Take meals in small portions and avoid over-eating.
- Avoid too much of fatty or spicy foods.
- Don’t take stress.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Avoid lying down immediately after taking your meals.
- Avoid smoking.
- Cut down on caffeinated drinks.
- Exercise regularly.