Acne can affect up to 85 percent adolescent and 50 percent adult populations (1). The effects it has on one’s skin and confidence are indeed disastrous. In an attempt to clear out acne and acne scars, most people fall for good for nothing products that do more harm than good.
If that’s the case with you too and all the expensive acne treatments and regimens have brought you nothing but disappointment then you need to look for a cure in nature’s corner. Here are the top 3 essential oil therapies that are proven to work for acne.
1. Antimicrobial Properties of Tea Tree Oil (TTO) Make it a Perfect Choice for Acne Sufferers
The causes of acne are multi-factorial. These range from poor lifestyle choices to bacteria infecting your skin. Researchers believe that skin bacteria, especially P.acne, are the prime culprits for frequent acne outbreaks.
Why tea tree oil works like magic is because of its ability to cleanse the skin of the acne causing buggers. Its constituents, like terpinen, inhibit the growth of P.acne and also reduce skin inflammation.
In as many as seven different studies, researchers have compared the efficacy of tea tree oil based treatments in treating acne lesions and reducing its severity to placebo, antibiotics or benzoyl peroxide preparations. Interestingly, almost all of the studies have confirmed that tea tree oil is far superior to the mainstay treatments in reducing acne lesions and its severity (2). Moreover, it is tolerable and highly safe.
How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Acne
Method #1: 5% TTO lotion
Duration of use: 4-8 weeks
- Wash your face with tap water and pat it dry.
- Apply the 5% TTO lotion to the areas of concern twice daily for 6-8 weeks.
- Wash your face with water again once the lotion is dry.
Method #2: DIY TTO mask
Duration of use: Up to 12 weeks
- Wash your face with plain water and tap it dry.
- Put 2-3 drops of 5-10% TTO on a cotton ball and apply it to the affected areas in a circular motion.
- Wash your face with tap water again once the oil is dry.
- Repeat the drill twice daily till you see results
2. Lavender Oil Fights Acne Due to its Antioxidant and Anti-Stress Properties
You might have observed that your acne breakouts become worse than ever when you have an exam or a presentation ahead. What’s the reason for that? It might come to you as a surprise but stress and anxiety contribute a great deal to the severity of acne. Researchers believe that chemicals released during stress- like cortisol and other steroids- increase the production of skin sebum. Increased sebum blocks your skin pores and promotes acne development (3). That’s where lavender oil comes into the picture. One of the reasons lavender oil helps with acne is due to its ability to destress! According to the Journal of American Medical Association (JAMA), it causes a significant reduction in stress levels (4), which may help with acne. Moreover, it helps detoxify your skin due to its antioxidant and antibacterial properties. These properties give lavender oil an upper-hand over the conventional treatments.
How to Use Lavender Oil
Inhaling lavender oil: Inhaling the steam will have dual benefits. First, it will help you relax and will help reduce the levels of stress. Second, the steam will help open up your skin pores and will help dislodge clogged skin sebum.
- 6-10 drops of lavender oil
- A pot
- Hot water
- A wet towel
Once you have gathered these tools and ingredients, here are the steps to follow:
- Wash your face with tap water using a neutral face wash.
- Now pour 1-2 glasses of hot water into a pot.
- Put 6-10 drops of lavender oil into the pot.
- Put the wet towel over your head and inhale the steam and steam your face too.
- Do this for 4-5 minutes, once every day for up to 2-4 weeks.
Applying Lavender Oil Directly to the Skin: Applying lavender oil directly to the affected area makes sure you get the maximum local benefits of this oil.
Here is what you need to do:
- Wash your face with a neutral face wash and tap water.
- Take a cotton ball and put 2-4 drops of 2.5% lavender oil on it.
- Apply the oil to the affected areas following a circular motion.
- Repeat this twice daily for up to 8 weeks.
3. Clay Jojoba Oil Facial Mask Causes a Staggering 70% Reduction in Acne
Jojoba oil has skin nourishing, wound healing and anti-inflammatory effects. These features help jojoba oil put a stop to acne breakouts and effectively heal acne scars.
In a German study, the participants using Jojoba oil facial mask experienced an astonishing 70 percent reduction in both inflammatory and non-inflammatory acne lesions (5).
How to Make and Use Jojoba Oil Mask
To make this mask, you need:
- 2 tablespoons of bentonite clay or fuller’s earth
- 3 tablespoons of jojoba oil
Mix these ingredients together in a bowl. You may add more clay or oil to make the paste more thick or thin, depending on your preference.
Once you are done making the paste, here is what you need to do:
- Wash your face with a neutral face wash and pat it dry.
- Now apply the mask generously on the concerned areas and wait for 30 minutes or till the mask is dry.
- Once dry, wash it off with water.
- Repeat the drill once every second to third day for as long as three to four weeks or till you see results.
There you have it! These are the perfect natural acne remedies that are proven to work and are safe too. Use these methods and see your acne problem disappear for good!