Acne can affect up to 85 per cent of adolescent and 50 per cent of adult populations (1). The effects it has on one’s skin and confidence are indeed disastrous. Yet, in an attempt to clear out acne and acne scars, most people fall for good-for-nothing products that do more harm than good. Instead, go for essential oils for acne. If that’s the case with you, too, and all the expensive acne treatments and regimens have brought you nothing but disappointment, then you need to look for a cure in nature’s corner. Here are the top 3 essential oils for acne.
# 1 Essential Oil For Acne: Tea Tree Oil (TTO)
The causes of acne are multi-factorial—from poor lifestyle choices to bacteria infecting your skin. Researchers believe skin bacteria, especially acne, are the prime culprits of frequent acne outbreaks.
Tea tree oil works like magic because of its ability to cleanse the skin of acne-causing buggers. Its constituents, like terpinene, inhibit acne growth and reduce skin inflammation.
In as many as seven studies, researchers have compared the efficacy of tea tree oil-based treatments in treating acne lesions and reducing its severity to placebo, antibiotics or benzoyl peroxide preparations. Interestingly, almost all studies have confirmed that tea tree oil is far superior to the mainstay treatments in reducing acne lesions and their severity (2). Moreover, it is tolerable and highly safe.
How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Acne
Method #1: 5% TTO lotion
Duration of use: 4-8 weeksDirections:
- Wash your face with tap water and pat it dry.
- Apply the 5% TTO lotion to the areas of concern twice daily for 6-8 weeks.
- Wash your face with water again once the lotion is dry.
Method #2: DIY TTO mask
Duration of use: Up to 12 weeks Directions:
- Wash your face with plain water and tap it dry.
- Next, put 2-3 drops of 5-10% TTO on a cotton ball and apply it to the affected areas in a circular motion.
- Wash your face with tap water again once the oil is dry.
- Repeat the drill twice daily till you see the results
2. Lavender Oil For Acne
You might have observed that your acne breakouts become worse than ever when you have an exam or a presentation ahead. What’s the reason for that? It might come to you as a surprise, but stress and anxiety contribute a great deal to the severity of acne. Researchers believe that chemicals released during stress- like cortisol and other steroids- increase skin sebum production. Increased sebum blocks your skin pores and promotes acne development (3). That’s where lavender essential oil for acne comes into the picture. One of the reasons lavender oil helps with acne is due to its ability to destress! According to the Journal of American Medical Association (JAMA), it causes a significant reduction in stress levels (4), which may help with acne. Moreover, it helps detoxify your skin due to its antioxidant and antibacterial properties. These properties give lavender oil an upper hand over conventional treatments.
How to Use Lavender Oil For Acne
Inhaling lavender oil: Inhaling steam will have dual benefits. First, it will help you relax and will help reduce the levels of stress. Second, the moisture will help open up your skin pores and will help dislodge clogged skin sebum.
- 6-10 drops of lavender oil
- A pot
- Hot water
- A wet towel
Once you have gathered these tools and ingredients, here are the steps to follow:
- First, wash your face with tap water using a neutral face wash.
- Now pour 1-2 glasses of hot water into a pot.
- Put 6-10 drops of lavender oil into the pool.
- Put the wet towel over your head, inhale the steam, and steam your face.
- Do this for 4-5 minutes daily for 2-4 weeks.
Applying Lavender Oil Directly to the Skin: Applying lavender oil directly to the affected area ensures you get the maximum local benefits of this oil.
Here is what you need to do:
- Wash your face with a neutral face wash and tap water.
- Next, take 2-4 drops of 2.5% lavender oil on a cotton ball.
- Apply the oil to the affected areas following a circular motion.
- Repeat this twice daily for up to 8 weeks.
3. Clay Jojoba Essential Oil for acne
Causes a Staggering 70% Reduction in Acne!
Jojoba oil has skin nourishing, wound healing and anti-inflammatory effects. These features help jojoba oil stop acne breakouts and effectively heal acne scars.
In a German study, the Jojoba oil facial mask participants experienced a remarkable 70% reduction in both inflammatory and non-inflammatory acne lesions (5).
How to Make and Use Jojoba Oil Mask
To make this mask, you need the following:
- Two tablespoons of bentonite clay or fuller’s earth
- Three tablespoons of jojoba oil
Mix these ingredients in a bowl. Depending on your preference, you may add more clay or oil to make the paste thick or thin.
Once you are done making the paste, here is what you need to do:
- First, wash your face with a neutral face wash and pat it dry.
- Now apply the mask generously on the concerned areas and wait for 30 minutes or till the show is dry.
- Once dry, wash it off with water.
There you have it! These are the perfect natural acne remedies proven to work and are safe. Use these methods and see your acne problem disappear for good!