We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Root canal is when there is a pulp-filled cavity in the root of the tooth. Root canal treatment is done by the dentist in order to save the tooth of the patient so that there is no need for tooth extraction. Each tooth has a hollow structure in its centre that is house to nerves, blood vessels, and connective tissues. There is a canal that runs through the centre of this area in the same way the refill of a pen passes through its body.
Causes of Root Canal
- When your old metal filling starts shrinking, it causes decay of the tooth and urges the need for a root canal treatment.
- Decay of the pulp chamber causes your tooth to damage and you start feeling sensitivity in that particular tooth. When you eat something cold or very hot, it hurts.
- Eating or chewing hardened food or grinding something very hard in your mouth may lead to tooth fracture and becomes a cause of a root canal. Post fracture, you will not be able to eat anything cold or hot from that area as it will be painful.
- Trauma in your younger years can also become a cause of root canal in adolescent. Sometimes, you get hit by someone in your mouth, and you overlook the problem. But, that problem grows internally with time, decaying your tooth and leading to a problem of root canal.
- Localized pain, i.e., pain at a particular site or tooth
- Swelling of tooth
- Reddish appearance of jaw (specifically the infected one)
- Sensitivity while chewing or eating or even drinking something cold or very hot
Home Remedies for Root Canal Pain
1. Ice Pack
It is the age old method and is still making wonders today. If you are experiencing pain in a particular site or area, apply an ice pack topically in that area to soothe and calm down the pain.
2. Over-the-Counter Medications
You can try a few over-the-counter gels from the market, such as Oragel. It will effectively numb your tooth area and will relieve pain. Do not apply too much as it can choke breathing by relaxing the throat muscles to a great extent.
You can also take some over-the-counter medications, like Ibuprofen, which will bring down the swelling and pain from the tooth. You can also have pain killers, like Combiflam, etc.
[easyazon_cta align=”center” cart=”n” cloak=”n” identifier=”B000052YE9″ key=”tall-orange” locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” tag=”homeremedyshop-20″]
3. Liquid Diet
Whenever you feel pain in tooth, restrict your meals to liquid ones as solid stuff will further deteriorate the condition of your tooth. So, it is better to stay on a liquid diet for a few days, till you get a relief from the toothache. You can drink juices, such as orange juice, carrot juice, but make sure that they are not too cold, otherwise; it will cause more decay to your tooth by making it more sensitive.
4. Salt Water
Take a tablespoon full of common salt and put it in a glass of warm water. Gargle thrice a day to get relief from the pain. You can also hold the water in your mouth around the affected area for as long as possible for added benefit and spit it out later.
You can use alcoholic beverages, like whisky, scotch or beer as a mouth gargle for effective cure against root canal pain. You can also consume it, but in a little quantity. You can also use mouthwash available in the market, but make sure that they contain alcohol in their composition.
6. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has been known to get rid of acne and blemishes, effectively. But, it is also equally effective to cure the pain of root canal. Put a few drops of tea tree oil in a glass of lukewarm water and rinse your mouth with that solution for an effective pain relief.
[easyazon_cta align=”center” cart=”n” cloak=”n” identifier=”B01JZ3BQ0A” key=”tall-orange” locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” tag=”homeremedyshop-20″]
Place a piece of freshly cut cucumber inside your mouth over the affected tooth as it will soothe the area, thus relieving you from the pain.
8. Olive Oil
Take a cotton ball. Saturate it in the olive oil and apply it gently over the aching tooth. It will relieve pain, soothing the affected area with its gentle effect. You can also try clove oil for effective results.
9. Onion or Garlic Juice
It may sound terrible to try, but it is an effective method that works in relieving root canal pain. Although, it is suggested to chew onions and garlic so that juice will release and cure the problem. But, if you cannot chew it, simple squeeze out juice in a bowl or glass and drink it like medicine for effective results. You can eat a bit of sugar over it to overcome the vomiting sensation.
Effective Homeopathic Treatment for Root Canal
1. Hekla lava : It is effective against all sorts of tooth swelling, gingivitis, pressure on the jaw line due to swelling, etc.
2. Baryta carbonica : Useful for gums that become sensitive, tooth that starts getting decayed at a faster pace and also for sensitive tooth.
3. Hepar sulph : It is meant for people having sensitive gums and mouth.
4. Hydrofluoricum acid : It is highly useful for decaying and sensitive tooth. It is meant for you if your teeth have become jagged due to excessive consumptions of cold drinks.
5. Lycopodium : It corrects yellow and sensitive teeth. It is also helpful when you feel pain while chewing. It is also effective if you have liver weakness and gastric problems.
6. Silicea : Effective against root infections of tooth or even if, gum boils.
- Proper brushing is the primary and effective way to prevent root canal infections.
- Always remove the food left in your mouth with a floss.
- Don’t eat too much of sweets to avoid decay of tooth (teeth).
- Limit your intake of soft drinks as they make your teeth very sensitive, yellow and decay them faster than normal.
- Always use a good mouth gargle to rinse your mouth after each meal.