Do you suffer from frequent vaginal itching? Have you tried every cream and ointment you can think of, but find that nothing seems to alleviate the issue?
There are many potential causes for vaginal itching. Some are temporary irritants while other causes may be linked to more serious health issues. Today, we will offer you essential information about this condition, the primary causes behind it, and the 9 best home remedies for vaginal itching you can use right away.
Vaginal Itching FAQ
image via: pixabay.com
1. What Is Vaginal Itching?
Vaginal itching, often synonymous with vaginal yeast infections, is a condition which occurs when the vagina has an excess of the fungus known as Candida Albicans. Other symptoms may also accompany the itching sensation, like burning and overall irritation. When you come down with a vaginal yeast infection, the excess fungus inflames your vagina, causing the itching and uncomfortable discharge.
Most of the time, vaginal itching is not caused by a serious condition and can be easily treated at home. Just the same, if the problem persists, it is best to see your gynecologist to make sure there are no other issues at play.
2. What Are The Causes Of Vaginal Itching?
One cause for itching in the vagina is bacterial vaginosis. This happens when the wrong bacteria grow in your vagina, throwing off healthy bacteria levels and causing infection. Accompanying symptoms include burning, general inflammation, excess discharge, and a fishlike odor in your vagina.
Sexually transmitted diseases may lead to vaginal itching. STDs such as genital herpes, chlamydia, trichomoniasis, gonorrhea, and genital warts, are all characterized by itching and aggravation in the vagina.
As mentioned above, one of the most common causes of vaginal itching is a yeast infection. Most women have a yeast infection at least once throughout the course of their lives, caused by yeast overgrowth.
A compromised immune system, antibiotics, pregnancy, and sexual intercourse can all make you susceptible to yeast infections. Along with the itching, you will typically experience thick, milky discharge.
If you are in menopause, your lowered estrogen levels can cause excess dryness in the vagina, leading to aggravation and itching. Some women who are breastfeeding have the same issue.
Certain chemicals can highly irritate your vagina and cause itching, like douches, creams, condoms, contraceptive foams, soaps, laundry detergents, scented toilet paper, and fabric softeners.
Rarely, a medical condition known as lichen sclerosis can cause vaginal itching. Along with the itching, you will have white, discolored areas on the skin, particularly surrounding the vulva. Sometimes, these areas can lead to permanent scarring. The condition is most common post-menopause.
3. Are Home Remedies Effective To Treat Vaginal Itching?
In most cases, home remedies are a very effective way to treat your vaginal itching and relieve your discomfort quickly. Again, always seek the advice of your gynecologist if the irritation and itching do not abate. Many home remedies require you to use ingredients you probably already have readily available in your house.
4. Where Can You Buy Them?
You can buy each of the following home remedies discussed at your local grocery store, health food store, or online. For your shopping ease, we have included Amazon links with each remedy where you can purchase the products mentioned.
How We Reviewed
We reviewed the following home remedies for vaginal itching based on their unique features, pros, cons, price, and purchase process. We selected remedies that would cater to an array of preferences and health needs.
We also wanted to make sure that the home remedies chosen would be effective to ease itching caused by a variety of factors and conditions. While more serious underlying causes for vaginal itching may require further treatment under the care of a medical practitioner, these home remedies can help reduce overall inflammation, soothe your itching, and provide you with much-needed relief.
Overall Price Range Of Home Remedies For Vaginal Itching
The following home remedies for vaginal itching range in price from around $ to $$$. Products sold in smaller quantities or basic supplements might cost less than premier oils and creams.
If you are on a budget, we have plenty of choices on our list for you to select from. We wanted to make sure that anyone and everyone could have their pick from these home remedies, so we kept everything as cost effective as possible.
What We Reviewed
image via: pixabay.com
- Highest Quality Pure Tea Tree Oil - Each batch is rigorously GC/MS tested for purity and potency to ensure you are...
- Naturally Fresh - Safe and effective all-purpose essential oil ideal for DIY home use in natural cleaners, aromatherapy...
- Great for the Scalp - Tee Tree Oil may also help to reduce the appearance of dandruff and flakes
The first home remedy for vaginal itching is tea tree oil. Tea tree oil is a potent essential oil that wards off viruses, bacteria, and fungi. In fact, you can use tea tree oil in a vaginal suppository to help reduce the duration and severity of vaginal infections.
Tea tree oil works wonders to keep the bacteria levels in your vagina balanced. If you use tea tree oil as a suppository, be sure to soften it with a carrier oil like coconut oil or jojoba oil so it is gentle on the skin. You should use tea tree oil in moderation.
This tea tree oil product by Eve Hansen features USA certified organic pure tea tree oil. It is vegan and cruelty-free to boot.
- Rich in enzymes & potassium
- Helps maintain healthy skin and helps promote youthful, healthy bodies
- Helps control weight and promotes digestion & ph Balance
Apple cider vinegar is another excellent option to treat vaginal itching. You can make an apple cider vinegar bath by combining half a cup of the vinegar with lukewarm water in the tub. Allow yourself to soak in the water for at least 20 minutes.
Apple cider vinegar is highly acidic, making it an effective anti-bacterial agent. Some people use apple cider vinegar for vinegar douching, to do a complete flush of the vagina. The problem with this is that the flush takes out both good and bad bacteria, making you more vulnerable to another yeast infection.
This apple cider vinegar product by Bragg is raw, organic apple cider vinegar. It comes in a 1-gallon quantity, so it will last you for a long time.
- Contains two - 16 fl oz Bottle of Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide
- It Works! The ultimate cleaner for 1st AID cuts and scrapes; BODY ears, throat and diffusers; HOUSEHOLD counters,...
- It's Clean! Free of toxic stablizers found in brown bottle peroxide. NON GMO. Great for homes with gray water systems
Hydrogen peroxide relieves vaginal itching because it eliminates yeast and bacteria. It may not be effective for every strain of yeast, but it is widely used by women when yeast infections spring up.
When using it, dilute the hydrogen peroxide with an agent like water before applying to the itchy vaginal area. You should not use peroxide for more than 5 consecutive days at a time.
This hydrogen peroxide product features a 1-gallon size and is certified organic. Filled with oxygen and fungus fight nutrients, this remedy comes at a higher price point, but you will get more bang for your buck.
- Heart Healthy Herb: Used for millennia, garlic may help support healthy cardiovascular function
- Heart Healthy Herb: Used for millennia, garlic may help support healthy cardiovascular function
- Strong Wellness Support: Garlic may also help support healthy circulation and immune system function
Garlic fights Candida, the culprit for unwanted yeast infections. Incorporating garlic into your wellness regimen will not only help relieve vaginal itching but work wonders for your overall heath too. Some women have reported putting garlic directly into the vagina, but this could cause burning and pain and is not recommended.
This garlic supplement by Solaray features organically sourced garlic, free from excipients, fillers, or unwanted chemicals. The supplement is vegetarian and also works to improve your cholesterol and overall circulatory function.
- Highest Quality Pure & Natural Oregano Essential Oil - Our Oregano Oil is 100% pure, undiluted, all-natural, and...
- Gc-ms Tested for Purity & Dilution - Every batch of our oregano essential oil is tested using a a type of testing called...
- Bottled in a 10ml Glass Bottle with Built-In Eyedropper - All of our essential oils are bottled in an amber glass bottle...
Oregano oil is a great way to fight vaginal itching caused by yeast infections. Wild oregano is packed with anti fungal components like carvacrol and thymol. In fact, oregano can stop Candida overgrowth in its tracks, reducing your symptoms and improving vaginal health.
If you are on blood thinners for a preexisting health condition, you should not use oregano oil because it thins the blood. Likewise, if you have problems with blood clots, oregano oil is not a good choice.
Oregano oil is not meant to be consumed, rather you should apply it topically in diluted form along with a carrier oil like sweet almond oil or olive oil. Combine anywhere from 3 to 5 drops of oregano oil with the carrier oil and massage the skin. You should not apply the oil to the vagina. You could also inhale the oil to enjoy its anti fungal properties.
This organic oregano oil by Upnature is a 100% pure essential oil, free of GMOs or additives. The oil is undiluted and unfiltered, so you will get an oil of the highest quality.
- USDA ORGANIC & FAIR TRADE INGREDIENTS ONLY: Dr. Bronner’s Regenerative Organic Certified Virgin Coconut Oil is...
- DR. BRONNER'S ORGANIC VIRGIN COCONUT OIL IS VERSATILE: Our Virgin Coconut Oil is perfect for cooking, baking, hair &...
- CLIMATE-FRIENDLY FARMING: Our sister company in Sri Lanka works with farmers to implement regenerative organic practices...
Coconut oil is widely lauded for its many health benefits, but it is an especially powerful anti-fungal agent. Coconut oil is another home remedy for vaginal itching that works wonders to fight Candida and soothe the inflamed area.
You should only use pure coconut oil, like this product by Dr. Bronner's, to ease vaginal itching. It is unrefined and cold pressed coconut oil that has not been deodorized or bleached.
- THE ORIGINAL BABY PROBIOTIC DROP: BioGaia Protectis baby drops are the original baby probiotic drops for colic &...
- 50-DAY SUPPLY: Non-GMO ingredients, no artificial colors, flavors, dairy or soy
- NEWBORNS +: Just 5 drops, once daily, provides the exclusive probiotic L. reuteri Protectis & 400 IU of Vitamin D
Probiotics help balance out your bacteria levels. When taken orally, they have the bacteria lactobacillus acidophilus, which helps recalibrate vaginal flora and alleviate vaginal itching.
Probiotics may take as long as 10 days before you notice a huge difference, so some people prefer to use vaginal suppositories containing probiotics to get faster results. Vaginal probiotic suppositories can also work to help eradicate vaginosis.
This liquid probiotic features organic, non-GMO, raw, gluten-free, soy free, nut-free, vegan, and ketogenic ingredients. It not only helps balance vaginal bacteria overgrowth but resets your digestive tract.
- CAREFULLY RESEARCHED & CLINICALLY TESTED: Formulated with natural compounds like Calendula and Echinacea, Bona Dea...
- PLEASANT CITRUS SCENT: Struggle with embarrassing odor? Our signature feminine blend contains essential oils like...
- COST-EFFECTIVE & CONVENIENT: Potent bioactive compounds mean even with twice-daily use, product lasts 3-6 months. A...
This vaginal suppository is packed with apple cider vinegar, aloe vera, and probiotics. The accompanying cream features aloe vera, apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, boric acid, and probiotics.
It is a virtual powerhouse of fungus fighting nutrients that eradicate vaginal itching. The suppositories come with 30 capsules and a 2-ounce vaginal cream. They are effective for treating everything from itching to dryness to vaginosis.
- 🔥 MAXIMUM EFFECTIVENESS: L-Ascorbic Acid is the most potent form of Vitamin C for skincare. Its powerful antioxidant...
- ✨ VERSATILITY: For making cosmetics! Make your own fresh and potent cosmetic formulations or add to facial serum,...
- 💠 EASY TO USE: Our topical Vitamin C powder for face is water-soluble. Just mix your desired concentration of...
Vitamin C enhances your overall immunity, and an improved immune system will help keep your vaginal itching at bay. Vitamin C is antimicrobial and fights conditions like Candida and yeast overgrowth.
If used in a suppository, Vitamin C could cause burning and irritation to the delicate vaginal skin. Taking Vitamin C orally can still help you enjoy its fungus fighting benefits. This Vitamin C product comes in powder form with organic ingredients and L-Absorbic acid to heighten its immune enhancing components.
Each of the 9 home remedies discussed for vaginal itching work as antibacterial, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory agents. If you would like to try one of these home remedies without investing too much time or money, we have a few suggestions.
Solaray's Organic Garlic Supplement, Dr. Bronner's Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, or Pure Organic Vitamin C Powder are perfect to get started. Whichever home remedy you choose, you can be confident of the quality of the ingredients listed and their effectiveness to treat your vaginal itching.
Last update on 2022-12-05 at 04:44 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API