As one of our most visible and significant features, our hair is critical for our appearance. In addition to its aesthetic qualities, it is essential to keep your hair clean, durable and healthy so you won’t end up with any uncomfortable conditions like dandruff or lice. Aside from this, suffering from hair loss or having troubles with growing your hair can be absolutely terrible to undergo. Before we go into detail about hair tonics you can make at home, it is best to understand the causes of hair loss or dandruff beforehand, so you know how to prevent them.
Causes of Hair Loss
- Radical weight loss
- Lack of Vitamin B or Protein
Causes of Dandruff
- Dry skin
- Lack of care (washing with shampoo)
- Fungus (known as malassezia)
- Contact Dermatitis (from various hair products)
- Seborrheic Dermatitis (oily or irritated skin)
The options for purchasing hair tonics in stores are limitless, but we honestly do not trust all of the ingredients used in them. We prefer natural alternatives, as we know we will remain completely safe and our hair will be enjoying the nutrients it needs to glow with beauty. Without any further ado, here are our favorite DIY hair tonic with natural ingredients recipes. Enjoy!
Scalp Itchiness Tamer – Apple Cider Vinegar
We want to start of our list with a very simple but highly effective natural hair tonic for men and women. This honestly is one of the best hair tonics you can whip up, as it has multiple advantages: it literally takes two minutes to make, apple cider vinegar has tons of health benefits and properties that will have a great impact on your hair (such as getting rid of an itchy scalp) and you don’t have to spend a lot of time with it in your hair for its effects to take place. We agree that it is more potent than many other store-bought solutions, such as Vitalis hair tonic, Jeris hair tonic or Wildroot hair tonic, and it will cost you a lot less by comparison. Learn how to prepare it below:
- Apple cider vinegar – 1 cup
- Essential Tea Tree Oil – 10-12 drops
- 1 jar
- Get your two main ingredients (the apple cider vinegar and the tea tree oil) together and pour them into the empty jar you have ready.
- Secure the ingredients with a firm lid (check twice that nothing will drop out).
- Mix the ingredients together well by shaking the jar thoroughly for a minute.
- Remove the lid and apply the hair tonic directly on your head, spreading it on every inch of your hair.
- Allow the tonic to work its magic for approximately ten minutes.
- Rinse off.
Bye-Bye, Dry Hair – Aloe Vera Hair Tonic
If your hair tends to be on the dry side, you will definitely want to check out this DIY hair tonic recipe, which acts as an amazing restorer. Even though Lucky Tiger hair tonic, Kreml hair tonic or Pinaud Clubman hair tonic might be more well-known, you should know that this solution will end up helping your hair in a completely safe, natural and, frankly, inexpensive way. Even more so, this is also a super fast hair tonic when it comes to the preparation process. Whoever thought that a juicy plant could go so far? See what you have to get and what you have to do here:
- Aloe vera juice – 4 tablespoons
- Clary sage essential oil – roughly 8 drops
- Water – 1 teaspoon
- 1 Bottle / 1 Jar
- Take all of the ingredients and place them into a clean bottle or jar, depending on what you have at hand.
- Make sure that the bottle or jar is sealed tightly and shake all of the ingredients well.
- While you are in the shower, take the mixture and place it all over your hair, combing it through so you can cover the entire area.
- Let the hair tonic set for about fifteen minutes.
- Rinse your hair with either lukewarm or cool water and allow it to dry naturally.
Shine, Shimmer, Sparkle – Parsley Hair Tonic
We all know that parsley is a wonderful ingredient for numerous home cooked meals, but how many people know of its impact as a hair tonic? This is yet another easy peasy recipe that you can get together in just a few minutes and the results are thrilling. Multiple sources claim that this particular hair tonic is magical for dark hair, leaving it soft and oh so shiny. Furthermore, if you find yourself living the nightmare of lice you should try this DIY hair tonic. The next time you are tempted to buy Hask, Neril, Neo Leaf or Vaseline hair tonic, just take a moment to try this recipe and take the decision afterwards:
- Parsley seeds (crushed) – 2 tablespoons
- Rosemary (crushed) – ½ cup
- Take some parsley seeds and crush the equivalent of two tablespoons.
- Take some rosemary and slice it up until you get around half of a cup.
- Boil a couple of small glasses of water and add the two main ingredients.
- Leave them in for approximately twenty minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool off and remove the herbs in order to use the infused result.
- Take the solution and pour it onto your head.
- Cover your head with a towel and wait for one hour.
- This recipe does not involve rinsing your hair, so let it dry on its own.
Prevent Hair Loss & Promote Hair Growth – Nettle Hair Tonic
Forget about Bay Rum, Mens Protein 29, Bumble and Bumble or Tibet tonic. If you want an all-natural hair growth tonic, this DIY recipe with nettle is just what you need. Loss and growth are the two biggest problems when it comes to hair care, and this natural hair tonic will help you in treating both conditions, thanks to its main ingredient. Nettle is an awesome source of iron and the hair tonic made from it can resist up to half a year if refrigerated properly. Al l you have to do is gather the following ingredients:
- Nettle leaves (one big handful) / Dried nettle (5 tablespoons)
- Essential Oil (3-4 drops) – the variety of your choice
- Water – 2 cups
- 1 storage bottle
- In the case of fresh nettle, take the handful you chose and boil it in two cups of water.
- Let it steep for around ten minutes then strain it after the solution cools off.
- Add the essential oil.
- If you are planning to use dried nettle, allow the water to boil first before adding the five tablespoons of nettle.
- Wait for it to steep for around twenty minutes.
- Cool, strain, add the essential oil.
- When the preparation process is complete, you can use the natural hair tonic while showring by applying it directly to your hair in a shampooing fashion.
- After about ten minutes you can rinse it off.
Combat Dandruff & Soften Your Locks – Coconut Oil Hair Tonic / Conditioner
Not even the Tonic hair salon in Las Vegas can compete with the brilliance of this natural hair tonic. Also, let’s be honest, who wants to go out to fancy salons and pay overwhelming amounts of money when you can easily prepare an equally powerful hair tonic at home? This homemade hair tonic / conditioner shared by Kristin Collins Jackson on Bustle, based on coconut oil, is perfect for getting rid of dandruff and softening your hair all at the same time. Coconut oil has numerous health properties that will aid your hair in getting back to the way it should be: strong, soft and sparkling. Are you ready? Grab these ingredients and get started:
- Coconut oil – 1 cup
- Sunflower seed oil – 2 tablespoons
- Aloe vera (extract or juice) – 2 tablespoons
- Vegetable Glycerin – 1 teaspoon
- Lavender essential oil – 12 drops
- Vanilla extract – 8 drops
- Take the main ingredients (coconut oil, aloe vera, sunflower seed oil and vegetable glycerin) and mix them well in a blender until you obtain a cream like substance.
- Add the lavender essential oil and vanilla extract.
- Apply the hair tonic / conditioner on your hair and leave it in.
Scalp Stimulation – Mint Hair Tonic
If you want your scalp to be getting back on the right track, relieving you of dandruff resulted from dry skin, you should check out this natural home remedy. You just need three ingredients that are inexpensive and easy to find and follow the steps below:
- Mint (dried) – 3 tablespoons
- Water – 1 cup
- Vinegar – ½ cup
- Take a sauce pan and add the three tablespoons of dried mint, the half cup of vinegar and the cup of water.
- Mix them together well for around five minutes as the solution simmers.
- Wait for the mixture to cool off and strain before usage.
- Apply the tonic to your hair as you would with shampoo, concentrating on massaging the scalp.
- Allow the tonic to take effect for about ten minutes.
- Shampoo your hair as you usually would do, rinse and let it dry naturally.