Eating too little calories can result in malfunction, whereas eating too many calories can cause obesity and other health implications. But, if you’re trying to lose weight, part of a successful journey means amending the number of calories your body consumes and burns. In this article, we’re sharing 5 ways to lose weight with calorie intake.
Counting Calories When Trying to Lose Weight
Losing weight can be a physical and mental challenge. Though it’s important to be aware of the number of calories you consume, you don’t want to become obsessed with every fraction of food you put into your body as they can quickly lead to eating disorders and disrupt your mental wellbeing.
First, you should establish the number of calories your body needs to maintain your weight or lose the required number of pounds. One way to help you is by using a formula that considers your weight, sex and activity levels. Google ‘the Harris-Benedict formula’ to conclude the number of calories you should be consuming to meet your weight goals. Everyone is different, so there isn't one set figure for every person.
To lose one pound of fat, you need to have a calorie deficit of 3,500 calories. This might sound like a large number, but if you reduce 500 calories per day from your diet, you’ll reach this figure. But you can combine this total with eating fewer calories and engaging in more physical activity.
Responsibly Track Your Calorie Intake
Let’s say you want to eliminate 500 calories per day through diet and exercise. To achieve this, you need to be mindful of the food you're eating. Look at the nutritional factors on labels, but remember that calories aren’t bad, you just need to eat the right ones. For example, an average apple contains 35 calories, but it’s better to consume these nutritious calories than to not.
There are many online tools that provide you with a platform to monitor your calories and an array of fitness apps and watches you can use to track the number of calories you burn through physical exercise. Through a combination of various tools, you can become more mindful of your activity levels and eating habits.
5 Ways to Lose Weight With Calorie Intake
1. Does it fit you?
Low calorie diet is a healthy diet. It is an economical diet plan too because it impedes you from buying those detrimental junk food. But, does it really fit you? Ask your doctor to guide you about this. It is not recommended for women who are very weak and suffering from hypertension and low blood pressure. If you are following any medications to increase your blood glucose level, then avoiding this diet is good for your overall health.
2. Know the Four Phase Diet Plan
Any Atkin’s (it is a famous type of low carb diet) diet plan has four phases to it. The first phase is for two weeks. In the second phase, two more weeks get added in. The third phase is of six weeks and the last one continues for eight weeks.
- You must avoid carbs entirely, in the initial phases, and then, you can slowly include carbohydrate in your food, as you pass through every phase of Atkin’s diet. You can rely on a perfect Atkin’s dieting guide to learn more about the four phases of carb-free diet plan.
3. What to eat?
Know what to eat as you are on a low calories diet plan. Usually starchy vegetables such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, peas, corn and cooked dried beans are rich in carbs, so make sure you ingest less of vegetables that are enriched with carbohydrate. However, 12 to 15 grams of your daily carbohydrates can be obtained from vegetables.
- Unlike the myth about cheese, they have less than a gram of carbs. So, you can include more cheese in your food for a protein-rich low carb diet that will keep you healthy. Avoid cottage cheese and farmer’s cheese in this diet plan because they are loaded with of carbs.
- Consume olive oil, especially extra-virgin oil olive. This adds more nutrients and good cholesterol to your diet.
- You can have cold water fish but avoid corn and foodstuffs with mono saturated fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are a good inclusion in a low calories diet plan.
- Avoid sugar-rich beverages totally. Sugars, sweets, desserts and even fruit juice with sugar can not only fill you, but add at least 500 calories to your everyday consumption level. Thus, avoid sugars and carbonated drinks.
4. Stay Hydrated
Water is a key to good health. It is of course an excellent addition in your low calories diet plan. Drink more than 3 liters of water daily to do away with extra calories from your body. If you think that water is really boring then add a tinge of lemon or a zesty orange or a little bit of blueberries or strawberry to the water you drink. Avoid refrigerated water or water kept under direct sunlight for longer hours while you are looking forward to reduce weight by cutting down calories.
5. Reduce Stress
Finally, high calories or food intake is mostly also due to increased stress level in people. It is excessive stress that is driving you towards chocolates, ice creams, pudding and other sweets that are rich in carbohydrates. So, try to quit strain as much as you can to stay away from those unhealthy sugary junks while following a low carb diet plan.
- Reducing weight with the help of calories reduction cannot yield quick results. One can reduce only 1-3 lbs in a week with lesser calories consumption, so look for long-term weight loss plans.
- Combine exercises like walking, jogging, trekking, gym workouts and more with lesser calories intake to lose weight fast.
- Eat fibrous fruits to keep you energetic. Boil vegetables, strain and drink the extract to keep you fuller and energetic for long.
- Consume everything you like, but eat little to keep your calories under control.
- Invest in a good blender or an extractor to prepare fresh shakes, smoothies or a fresh juicy blast to keep your morning fresh and healthy.
- Do not avoid eating solids, entirely, thinking they add to weight gain. Just liquid can make you feel really weak and tired.
- If you are observing fast to burn calories, try not to fast for more than 2 days in a week.
- Avoid red meat and high-protein food items when you are looking forward to weight loss with lesser calories intake.
- Do not rely on hunger control pills or any other weight reduction supplements while you are on a low calorie diet plan.
- Try not to skip meals or stay on steadfast diet to lose weight fast, if you have any medical condition like polycystic ovaries, irregular periods and more.
- For kids, low calorie weight plan cannot be combined with any medication, as it will affect their health hugely.
Alice grew up in Los Angeles and currently lives in California, though she likes to visit home frequently. She graduated from a marketing specialist degree and worked at the core of outreach teams for more than 5 years.