Everyone desires a dazzling smile with bright teeth that reflect a youthful and confident personality. Maintaining the natural whiteness of teeth is essential for a beautiful smile. However, yellow teeth are a common problem faced by many. Fortunately, there are numerous ways to get rid of yellow stains and restore the natural colour of teeth through teeth whitening, also known as dental bleaching. While professional treatments exist, there are also effective home remedies available for achieving whiter teeth. In this article, we will explore various natural remedies and preventive measures to help you achieve brighter teeth.
Understanding the Causes of Tooth Discoloration
We always think of visiting a dentist to remove yellow stains from teeth, but have we ever wondered how these yellow stains appear on your teeth? Well, there may be various reasons behind it, like:
- Chewing tobacco and smoking
- Drinking tea, coffee, wines, and colas
- Improper brushing and flossing
- Advancing age
- Genetics or natural characteristics
- Damage by fall disturbs the enamel (trauma)
- Excessive fluoride levels in water
- Several treatments, like neck and head radiation, chemotherapy, etc.
- Use of tetracycline, antihypertensive, antipsychotic, and antihistamines antibiotics
- Tooth filling
Recognizing Symptoms of Teeth Discoloration
Before using any remedy for teeth whitening, it is better to get acquainted with the symptoms, which cause teeth discoloration. The major symptoms are:
- Worn away enamel
- White streaks or brown spots and yellow tints and pits on teeth.
- Foul smell from mouth
Effective Home Remedies for Teeth Whitening
Here are 29 natural home remedies for teeth whitening that are cost-effective and easy to use:
- Baking Soda: Mix two tablespoons of baking soda with cold water and use it as a mouthwash or toothpaste to reduce stains.
- Lemon: Rinse your mouth with lemon juice or rub lemon peel on your teeth to whiten them.
- Strawberries: Crush 2-3 strawberries to form a paste and rub it on your teeth, or add baking soda for better results.
- Holy Basil (Tulsi): Crush dried basil leaves and use the powder for brushing, or mix with mustard oil.
- Apples: Chew on apples daily to increase saliva production and maintain fresh breath.
- Salt: Use salt as a tooth powder or mix with baking soda to reduce yellow stains.
- Charcoal: Mix the charcoal powder with toothpaste or use ashes of burnt rosemary or bread.
- Margosa (Neem): Chew margosa twigs or mix margosa oil with toothpaste.
- Orange Peel: Rub orange peel directly on teeth or use dried orange peel powder.
- Hydrogen Peroxide: Use a mouthwash containing hydrogen peroxide or mix it with baking soda for brushing.
- Banana Peel: Rub the inside of a banana peel on your teeth for a few minutes, then brush with toothpaste.
- Crunchy Carrots: Chewing raw carrots helps clear plaque from teeth.
- Raisins: Consuming raisins daily helps scrape off plaque and prevent its formation.
- Cheese: Eating cheese after a meal promotes teeth re-mineralization and prevents decay.
- Milk and Yogurt: Rich in phosphorus and calcium, these promote enamel re-mineralization.
- Sugar-free Gum: Xylitol in sugar-free gum fights plaque and increases saliva production.
- Oil Pulling: Rub oil (sesame, coconut, sunflower, or olive) on teeth for 20 minutes, then rinse.
- Banyan Roots: Chew banyan tree roots benefit from their astringent properties.
- Citrus Fruits: Generate saliva and naturally whiten teeth by consuming lemons, pineapple, oranges.
- Brush and Floss: Regular brushing and flossing prevent teeth discolouration and maintain oral health.
- Bay Leaves: Crush dried bay leaves, mix with dried orange peel powder and water, and rub on teeth.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Gargle with apple cider vinegar to whiten teeth and kill bacteria.
- Dark Chocolates: Theobromine in dark chocolate helps harden and whiten tooth surfaces.
- Whitening Strips: Convenient and effective, these thin strips coated with peroxide gel provide visible results.
- Alcohol-free Mouthwash: Select alcohol-free mouthwash to avoid drying out tissues and attracting bacteria.
- Peelu Plant Fibres: Use powdered peel plant fibres as a non-abrasive toothpaste for natural whitening.
- Aloe Vera: Mix aloe vera with vegetable glycerine and baking soda to create a paste for cleaning teeth.
- Turmeric: Roast and crush turmeric, add salt and lime juice, and use the mixture for teeth whitening.
- Rinsing the Mouth: Rinse your mouth with water after consuming caffeinated drinks and sugary sodas to prevent discolouration.
Remember, some ingredients like baking soda, lemon, and hydrogen peroxide should be used in moderation to protect the enamel. Regular dental hygiene practices, such as brushing and flossing, are also essential for maintaining oral health and preventing tooth stains.
Additional Remedies and Tools for Teeth Whitening
Apart from these simple and quick home remedies for teeth whitening, some other treatments and ready-to-use tools and kits are available to whiten your teeth. Take a look:
1. Ultrasonic Cleaning: In this method, ultrasonic vibrations remove the stains from teeth. However, it will not change the colour of your teeth but reduces the teeth staining, resulting from the building-up of calculus.
2. Dental Veneers: These are wafer-like coverings for teeth. They are made of porcelain and are cemented on teeth. They are effective against teeth discolouration as well as crooked or broken teeth.
3. Laser Teeth Whitening: A peroxide gel is used to lighten the teeth in this method. A gel is applied to the teeth. With the help of a laser, teeth whitening agents are made activated, which restores the brightness of your teeth.
4. Teeth Whitening Pens: These pens consist of a whitening gel. You require applying this pen to your teeth after brushing correctly. Leave it for two-three minutes. Then, wash off your mouth with water. For the best results, use it continuously for two weeks.
5. Magic Erasers: Magic erasers are used to clean and whiten teeth. But are they effective? Well, some people do not prefer it because it damages the enamel.
Preventive Measures to Maintain Teeth Whiteness
Discolouration of the teeth can be prevented to a great extent by following the below measures.
- Use a straw to consume drinks. It will reduce the exposure of the teeth to staining beverages, like coffee, fruit juices, etc. It will directly pass the drink to your throat rather than affecting the teeth.
- Drink a cup of tea daily as it is rich in fluorides, which fight against harmful bacteria and stop the production of a type of sugar that results in cavities. But avoid drinking too much tea.
- Brush your teeth gently. Do not apply force to remove plaque.
- Avoid smoking, red wines, black tea, etc.
- Replace your toothbrush regularly.
- Use water floss to prevent tooth decay.
- Include fibrous food in your diet.
Teeth Whitening: Conclusion
There are many different reasons why teeth may become discoloured. However, there are also many ways in which you can prevent or control the whiteness of your teeth.
We have highlighted above the best home remedies for teeth whitening. If you try some of these methods, you should be able to reduce stains on your teeth and reduce the likelihood of further stains occurring in the future.
Have you tried any of the tips in this article, or do you have any home remedies for teeth whitening that you would like to share with us? We would love to hear your ideas and experiences. Please leave us a comment in the comments section below this article.