Have you ever got stung by a bee? A bee sting is really painful and difficult to bear, at least for a few hours till its effect subsides. So, the best way to ease up the pain and burning sensation caused by a bee sting is to stick to some basic homemade remedies.
The main cause behind the pain and swelling due to a bee sting is the protein in its venom, which affects the skin cells as well as the immune system. If a person is allergic to a bee sting, then it might create serious problems to the immune system.
In mild cases:
- Sharp burning pain in the affected area
- A red welt at the area
- A tiny white spot, where the sting actually hit
- Swelling around the sting area
In severe cases:
- Extreme redness
- Swelling may increase in next few days
If the person is allergic:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Hives & itching in other parts of the body
- Swelling in the throat or tongue
- Nausea or vomiting
Home Remedies for Bee Sting
1. Soap : As soon as you are bitten by the bee, wash it thoroughly with a mild soap and water in order to lessen its effect.
2. Ice : Wrap an ice cube in a handkerchief, and place it on the sting area for at least 20 minutes. This will give relief from the inflammation, caused due to the bee sting.
3. Toothpaste : Apply some toothpaste on the sting area. It will create a tingling sensation on the sting area, which will give relief from the burning pain.
4. Baking Soda, Vinegar & Meat Tenderizer : This is a good home remedy to put on a bee sting. Make a mixture of baking soda, vinegar and meat tenderizer. Apply this paste on the area, affected by the bee sting. Meat tenderizer contains papain, an enzyme, which breaks down the harmful toxins, attacking the skin. Apply the mixture for about 20 minutes, and then, remove. Repeat the process after every few hours.
5. Honey : Honey works as a natural healer and provides relief from the pain, caused due to a bee sting. Cover the area with honey to get a quick relief.
6. Epsom Salt : Make a paste of some Epsom salt and water and apply it on the sting area.
7. Calamine Lotion : Apply calamine lotion on the sting area, and let it remain for at least 45 minutes. Re-apply it again after 4 hours. Continue the process until the symptoms subside.
8. Potato : Put a slice of raw potato on the sting area in order to get a quick relief from the burning sensation.
9. Aloe Vera : Apply fresh aloe vera gel to get a soothing relief from the pain and inflammation, caused by a honey bee sting.
10. Parsley Leaves : Crush some fresh parsley leaves on the affected area to cure the bee sting.
11. Plantain Leaf : Either roll some plantain leaves between your fingers and thumb or chew them to release their juice. Then, apply the juicy leaves on the affected area to get a relief from painful symptoms of a bee sting.
12. Papaya : Place a slice of fresh papaya on the area, bitten by a bee, in order to get a relief from its symptoms.
13. Basil Leaves : Take some fresh basil leaves and crush them. Apply this on the sting area to get an immediate relief.
14. Apple Cider Vinegar : Dab some apple cider vinegar on the affected area by using a cotton ball. This will help alleviate the pain and itching, caused due to the bee sting.
15. Mustard : You can also apply mustard oil over the bee sting to get relief from the burning sensation.
16. Apply Hydrocortisone Cream : This is one of the most effective home remedies for bee sting pain. This cream is easily available in the market and gives relief from the pain, swelling and itching, caused due to the bee sting.
17. Garlic : To get a quick relief from pain and swelling, caused due to a bee sting, apply crushed garlic on the area while releasing its juice.
18. Mud : This might sound a bit filthy, but it’s an effective home remedy to treat a bee sting. Simply take some mud and mix it in water. Now, apply this as a paste on the sting area until you get relief from the swelling and pain, caused due to it.
19. Tobacco : Hold some loose tobacco over the sting area. This will help alleviate the pain and swelling due to a bee sting.
20. Baking Soda : Mix some baking soda in water to form a paste. Now, apply this paste on the area, affected by a bee sting. Let it remain for some time, till it dries off. Baking soda is effective in curing the pain and swelling of a bee sting.
21. Lavender Essential Oils : You can apply lavender essential oil to the sting area as it quickly gives relief by neutralizing the effect of the venom.
22. Calendula : Crush some calendula flowers and extract its juice. Now, apply it on the bee sting to quickly relieve the inflammation.
23. Onion : You can also apply onion juice on the bee sting.
24. Bee Balm : Apply crushed leaves of bee balm to get an instant relief from a bee sting.
25. Jewelweed : Applying the juice of jewelweed leaves is also an effective method to reduce the effect of bee stings.
26. Yellow Dock Leaf : Mix 2 teaspoon of baking soda in a teaspoon of yellow dock leaf tincture, and apply it on the bee sting.
Homeopathic Remedies for Bee Sting
1. Apis mellifica : This is an effective homeopathic remedy to treat a bee sting if it is causing a lot of burning and stinging sensation to the area along with a reddish swelling. Apis is useful in reducing the swelling very quickly.
2. Cantharis : If a bee sting develops red painful blisters along with intense burning sensation, this remedy is best suited.
3. Aconitum napellus : This remedy can be taken if a bee sting is accompanied by symptoms, such as a burning pain along with a tingling sensation and swelling in the area.
4. Hypericum : This remedy should be taken if there is a shooting pain in the sting area along with a numb feeling.
5. Urtica urens : If reddish bumps appear on the sting area with an acute burning pain and itchiness, this remedy is really helpful.
6. Ledum palustre : This remedy is recommended if the sting appears to be blue with a lot of burning pain along with numbness in the area, as well as the swelling that keeps on increasing with time.
How to Prevent a Bee Sting
- Don’t wear bright-coloured or floral-printed clothes.
- Keep a distance from a bee hive.
- Avoid wearing perfume or utilizing scented products, if you are going in a bee hive area.
- Leave the area immediately if you are stung by a bee as other bees may also reach the place.