We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Bladder infection is a type of urinary tract infection, and it can also spread to the kidneys and prostate glands. It mostly affects women aged between 20 and 50. Pregnant women may also suffer from this problem. Though, it is very common in women, but it may also affect men due to sexual intercourse with infected women or due to anal intercourse. In acute cases, it is always recommended to consult a doctor, but bladder infection can also be cured by some simple home remedies.
When the bacteria attack the urinary tract, it results in a bladder infection. Women get affected by a bladder infection also due to the short length of their urethra. In men, it is mostly caused due to sexual intercourse with an infected female. The use of contraceptive diaphragms or spermicidal agents is also a reason of bladder infection. Other causes are:
- Multiple sclerosis
- Spinal cord injury
- Anal intercourse (in men)
- Poor hygiene
- Holding back the urine
- Enlarged prostate or kidney stone
Some common and uncommon symptoms of bladder infection are:
- Painful urination
- More frequent urination
- Sudden urge for urinating
- Pain in the bladder
- Involuntary passage of urine
- Burning sensation while urinating
- Appearance of blood in the urine
- Strong odour from urine
- Bloating or discomfort
- Feeling of fatigue
- A feeling of pressure in the lower abdomen
Home Remedies for Bladder Infection
Here are some effective and natural remedies for bladder infection that are inexpensive, harmless and easy to use at home.
1. Drink Plenty of Water : This is the best treatment for bladder infection. Water is a great cleansing agent and helps in flushing out the harmful bacteria in the form of diluted urine. So, drink lots of water for a quick relief from bladder infection.
2. Baking Soda : Baking soda is one of the best home remedies for bladder infection pain. You just need to mix a spoonful of baking soda in a glass of water, and drink it. Repeat this remedy daily till the symptoms subside completely.
3. Cranberry Juice : Cranberry juice is an effective home remedy to stop a bladder infection in pregnant women. Cranberry contains enzymes, which are really beneficial in treating a bladder infection. Therefore, drinking cranberry juice will let you to get rid of a bladder infection quickly.
Note- Avoid intake of cranberry juice if you or any family member of yours has a history of kidney stones, or if you are taking medicines for thinning the blood.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar : Soak in water, containing apple cider vinegar. It will greatly reduce the burning sensation that is caused while urinating due to a bladder infection.
5. Yoghurt : Eating yoghurt is also beneficial as it contains acidophilus, which helps in curing the bladder infection.
6. Heating Pad : In order to ease out the pain, caused due to a bladder infection, use a heating pad over the abdominal area.
7. Goldenseal : Goldenseal is known for its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It quickly heals the bladder lining, stops the bleeding and also heals the ulcers, caused due to the infection.
8. Couchgrass : Coughgrass is a soothing remedy for reducing the inflammation in the bladder, prostate or urethra. It is also helpful for the treatment of kidney stone.
9. Drumstick Flowers : This is a good herbal remedy to cure a bladder infection. Mix a teaspoon of juice of drumstick flowers in ½ glass of coconut water. Drink it at least 2 times a day.
10. Lemon : Mix a teaspoon of lemon juice in 180 ml of boiling water. Drink this solution in order to get relief from the burning sensation as well as the bleeding caused due to the bladder infection.
11. Cornsilk : Cornsilk is an excellent diuretic and is an effective herb to treat a bladder infection. It greatly reduces the inflammation in the bladder, urethra or prostate. It is also helpful in treating kidney stones and inflammation, caused in the urinary tract in children.
12. Spinach : Mix equal quantities of fresh spinach juice and coconut water, and drink it in order to relieve a bladder infection.
13. Goldenrod : This is one of the best herbal remedies for bladder infection pain. It is a good anti-fungal agent, which also helps in relieving the pain due to the infection. It also acts as toner for the bladder.
14. Radish Leaves : Take out the juice of radish leaves and drink a cup of it every day to get rid of a bladder infection.
15. Sandalwood Oil : At least 5 drops of sandalwood oil are enough for treating a bladder infection.
16. Vitamin C : Increase your intake of vitamin C. Vitamin C helps to boost up the immune system and hampers the growth of bladder infection-causing bacteria.
17. Garlic : Eat raw garlic to fight the infection in the bladder. Garlic is one of the best remedies that help a bladder infection. It is a good anti-bacterial or anti-viral agent, which helps in curing the infection quickly.
18. Oregano Oil : Bladder infection can also be treated by oregano oil, which is an excellent anti-bacterial agent.
19. Nasturtium : It works well to treat a bladder infection as it is a natural antibiotic.
20. Parsley : Parsley helps in treating the inflammation due to a bladder infection. Other herbs that can be used to treat a bladder inflammation are mullein and marshmallow.
Homeopathic Remedies for Bladder Infections
1. Cantharis : When the person experiences an acute pain due to the bladder infection along with a sudden urge to urinate but not able to urinate, this remedy is used.
2. Pulsatilla : This remedy is helpful when there is frequent pain along with a sudden urge to urinate and the bladder infection commence after getting the feet cold and wet.
3. Nux vomica : This remedy can be taken when there is a frequent urge to urinate and the urge never get fully satisfied, even after urination.
4. Sarsaparilla : This remedy is recommended when the person feels a burning pain while urinating, due to a bladder infection.
Preventive Measures to Avoid Bladder Infection
- Increase water intake or other fluids.
- Avoid soft drinks, alcohol, tea and coffee.
- Practice hygiene.
- Always wipe from front to back after using the toilet.
- Urinate after having a sexual intercourse.
- Don’t hold back the urine.
- Wear cotton panties.
- Take showers and avoid using bath tubs.
- Avoid douching and use of other feminine products.
- Avoid using tampons, instead use sanitary napkins and change it more frequently.