Bladder infection is a type of urinary tract infection, and it can also spread to the kidneys and prostate glands. It mostly affects women aged between 20 and 50. Pregnant women may also suffer from this problem. Though it is very common in women, it may also affect men due to sexual intercourse with infected women or anal intercourse. In acute cases, it is always recommended to consult a doctor, but this infection can also be cured by some simple home remedies. Just check out this list below.
Causes of Bladder Infection
When the bacteria attack the urinary tract, it results in a bladder infection. Women get affected by it also due to the short length of their urethra. In men, it is mostly caused due to sexual intercourse with an infected female. The use of contraceptive diaphragms or spermicidal agents is also a reason for bladder infection. Other causes are:
- Multiple sclerosis;
- Spinal cord injury;
- Anal intercourse (in men);
- Poor hygiene;
- Holding back the urine;
- Enlarged prostate or kidney stone.
Symptoms of Bladder Infection
Some common and uncommon symptoms of bladder infection are:
- Painful urination;
- More frequent urination;
- Sudden urge for urinating;
- Pain in the bladder;
- Involuntary passage of urine;
- Burning sensation while urinating;
- The appearance of blood in the urine;
- Strong odor from the urine;
- Bloating or discomfort;
- Feeling of fatigue;
- A feeling of pressure in the lower abdomen.
How to Treat Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) At Home
Here are 20 effective and natural remedies for a UTI that are inexpensive, harmless, and easy to use at home.
1. Drink Plenty of Water: Water is a great cleansing agent and helps in flushing out harmful bacteria in the form of diluted urine. So, drink lots of water for quick relief from a bladder infection.
2. Baking Soda: You just need to mix a spoonful of baking soda in a glass of water and drink it. Repeat this remedy daily till the symptoms subside completely.
3. Cranberry Juice: Cranberry juice is an effective home remedy to stop bladder infections in pregnant women. Cranberry contains enzymes, which are really beneficial in treating a bladder infection. Therefore, drinking cranberry juice will let you get rid of a bladder infection quickly.
Note: Avoid intake of cranberry juice if you or any family member of yours has a history of kidney stones, or if you are taking medicines for thinning the blood.
5. Yoghurt: Eating yogurt is also beneficial as it contains acidophilus, which helps in curing bladder infection.
6. Heating Pad: In order to ease out the pain, caused due to a bladder infection, use a heating pad over the abdominal area.
7. Goldenseal: Goldenseal is known for its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It quickly heals the bladder lining, stops the bleeding, and also heals the ulcers, caused due to the infection.
8. Couchgrass: Coughgrass is a soothing remedy for reducing inflammation in the bladder, prostate, or urethra. It is also helpful for the treatment of kidney stones.
9. Drumstick Flowers: Mix a teaspoon of juice of drumstick flowers in ½ glass of coconut water. Drink it at least 2 times a day.
10. Lemon: Mix a teaspoon of lemon juice in 180 ml of boiling water. Drink this solution in order to get relief from the burning sensation as well as the bleeding caused due to the bladder infection.
11. Cornsilk: Cornsilk is an excellent diuretic and is an effective herb to treat an infection. It greatly reduces the inflammation in the bladder, urethra, or prostate. It is also helpful in treating kidney stones and inflammation, caused in the urinary tract in children.
12. Spinach: Mix equal quantities of fresh spinach juice and coconut water, and drink it in order to relieve a bladder infection.
13. Goldenrod: It is a good anti-fungal agent, which also helps in relieving the pain due to the infection. It also acts as a toner for the bladder.
14. Radish Leaves: Take out the juice of radish leaves and drink a cup of it every day to get rid of a bladder infection.
15. Sandalwood Oil: At least 5 drops of sandalwood oil are enough for treating a bladder infection.
16. Vitamin C: Increase your intake of vitamin C. Vitamin C helps to boost the immune system and hampers the growth of bladder infection-causing bacteria.
17. Garlic: Eat raw garlic to fight the infection in the bladder. It is a good anti-bacterial or anti-viral agent, which helps in curing the infection quickly.
18. Oregano Oil: Bladder infection can also be treated by oregano oil, which is an excellent anti-bacterial agent.
19. Nasturtium: It works well to treat a bladder infection as it is a natural antibiotic.
20. Parsley: Parsley helps in treating inflammation due to a bladder infection. Other herbs that can be used to treat this medical condition are mullein and marshmallow.
Easy Homeopathic Remedies for Bladder Infections
1. Cantharis: When the person experiences acute pain along with a sudden urge to urinate but is not able to urinate, this remedy is used.
2. Pulsatilla: This remedy is helpful when there is frequent pain along with a sudden urge to urinate and the infection commences after getting the feet cold and wet.
3. Nux vomica: This remedy can be taken when there is a frequent urge to urinate and the urge never gets fully satisfied, even after urination.
4. Sarsaparilla: This remedy is recommended when the person feels a burning pain while urinating, due to a bladder infection.
How to Avoid Bladder Infection
- Increase water intake or other fluids.
- Avoid soft drinks, alcohol, tea, and coffee.
- Practice hygiene.
- Always wipe from front to back after using the toilet.
- Urinate after having sexual intercourse.
- Don’t hold back the urine.
- Wear cotton panties.
- Take showers and avoid using bathtubs.
- Avoid douching and use other feminine products.
- Avoid using tampons, instead, use sanitary napkins and change them more frequently.
Suggested Read: 29 Home Remedies For Teeth Whitening
Not a lot of people talk about the health of our bladders, but the fact is everyone is affected by it. As we get older, the bladder changes. We can’t control everything that affects the bladder which is why as early as not having infections, we need to make sure we intake wholesome food to stay healthy.
Leave us your thoughts in the comments below on how did you try to treat your bladder infection. Share your thoughts so others will know how to deal with kidney pain.
Going to the hospital and having a regular check-up with the doctor is the best option when it comes to your health concerns and overall wellness. But instances like distance, availability, and schedule can affect your appointments. So, one of the better alternatives is to try doing it in your own home. Learn and discover more about it on our website.