Chickenpox is a viral disease, which is caused by a virus, called Varicella Zoster, and it affects everyone at least once in a lifetime. Two days after getting infection, small, red and itchy blisters appear all over the body. Chickenpox is a contagious infection that quickly spreads from one person to another. Now-a-days, most of the people get the vaccination against chickenpox; but still, it is very common in newborn babies and pregnant women. Sometimes, it attacks adults too. Normally, it takes almost two weeks for the symptoms to subside after getting the infection, but there are certain home remedies that can cure it quickly.
The main cause of chickenpox is the virus, named Varicella Zoster. Other most prominent causes are:
- Coming in contact with the infected person
- Inhaling airborne droplets
- Weak immune system
- Red and itchy blisters
- Fluid-filled blisters before the normal blisters break out
- Crust-like covering on the broken blisters
- Loss of appetite
Home Remedies for Chickenpox
1. Baking Soda : Mix a tablespoon of baking soda in one glass of water. Now, dip a sponge in this solution and apply it all over the body. Baking soda is one of the best remedies to eliminate the itching and irritation, caused due to the chickenpox rashes.
2. Oatmeal : One of the safest home remedies to treat chickenpox is oatmeal. Take 2 cups of oatmeal and crush it into a fine powder. Now, put this powder in 2 litres of water and let it remain for about 15 minutes. Take a cloth bag and put this mixture into it. Place the bag in a bath tub, filled with lukewarm water and shake it properly till the water turns milky. Soak yourself in this water to get an instant relief from the itchiness due to chickenpox.
3. Calamine Lotion : Dab calamine lotion on the rashes. This will relieve you from itching, caused due to chickenpox.
[easyazon_cta align=”center” cart=”n” cloak=”n” identifier=”B005631726″ key=”tall-orange” locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” tag=”homeremedybook-20″]
4. Indian Lilac (Neem) : Indian lilac or neem has great anti-viral properties. Take some neem leaves and crush them into a paste. Apply this paste on the blisters in order to get relief from the itchiness. It will also dry out the rashes.
5. Honey : Apply honey on the affected area at least twice or thrice a day. Honey will quickly heal the blisters as well as also give relief from itchiness, caused due to chickenpox infection.
6. Marigold & Witch Hazel : Mix 2 tablespoons of marigold flowers along with a teaspoon of witch hazel in a cup of water. Leave it overnight. Apply this mixture, the next morning. This will greatly relieve from the itching, caused due to chickenpox.
7. Carrot & Coriander Soup : Take 100 grams of carrots and chop them well. Also chop 60 grams of coriander leaves and boil it with chopped carrots in water for some time. Now, strain and cool it down. Drink this soup once in a day. This will effectively heal the chickenpox.
8. Sandalwood Oil : Sandalwood oil is an excellent soothing treatment for chickenpox. Soak a cotton ball in sandalwood oil and apply it on the blisters. This will quickly heal the rashes while reducing the symptoms of chickenpox.
[easyazon_cta align=”center” cart=”n” cloak=”n” identifier=”B00QJD49MW” key=”tall-orange” locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” tag=”homeremedybook-20″]
9. Brown Vinegar : Add ½ cup of brown vinegar to a tub, filled with warm water. Soak in it in order to get rid of irritation and aid in a quick healing of chickenpox while also reducing the scars.
10. Green Peas : Boil 200 gram of green peas in some water. After draining the water, crush it into a paste. Apply this on the chickenpox lesions and let it remain for an hour.
11. Ginger : Ginger is also effective in healing up the rashes, caused due to chickenpox. You can also add ginger to your bath water to get relief from itching.
12. Try Herbal Teas : Herbal teas are also beneficial in curing the chickenpox symptoms. You can try herbs, like chamomile, holy basil and lemon balm and take them in the form of tea. You just simply need to boil one of these herbs in water, and then, add a little bit of cinnamon powder, honey and a few drops of lemon juice. Drink this tea at least 2-3 times a day for better results.
13. Coltsfoot Leaves and Queen of the Meadow : Take 2 tablespoons of queen of the meadow, 1 teaspoon of coltsfoot leaves, and 2 teaspoon of marigold flowers. Steep these in 2 cups of boiling water for at least 20 minutes. Take one cup of this tea every day. This herbal remedy will quickly relieve you from the symptoms of chickenpox.
14. Echinacea : Echinacea is another herb, which can be tried for curing chickenpox. Other herbs, like goldenseal, burdock root, St. John’s Wort and pau d’arco bark are also useful.
15. Vitamin E Oil : Apply vitamin E oil on the chickenpox blisters in order to quickly heal them.
16. Tea Tree Oil : You can also apply tea tree oil, diluted with any carrier oil, to the chickenpox rashes. Tea tree oil is an excellent anti-bacterial, and therefore, it will help a lot in curing the infection. Lavender oil can also be applied to the rashes for a soothing effect.
[easyazon_cta align=”center” cart=”n” cloak=”n” identifier=”B01JZ3BQ0A” key=”tall-orange” locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” tag=”homeremedybook-20″]
17. Aloe Vera : Apply fresh aloe vera gel on the rashes to get a soothing relief from chickenpox symptoms. Aloe vera is one of the best natural medicines for healing skin infections.
18. Calendula : Apply a cream, based with calendula herb, for an effective relief from the rashes.
19. Over-the-counter Medications : Take over-the-counter medications, such as paracetamol, ibuprofen and acetaminophen for treating fever and pain, caused due to chickenpox.
If the chickenpox blisters are causing too much itchiness, then it is better to take an over-the-counter antihistamine to get an immediate relief from it.
Homeopathic Remedies for Chickenpox
1. Antimonium tartaricum : This remedy is best-suited when the chickenpox lesions erupt slowly, and there is a feeling of nausea, especially among children. Also, if the person suffers from chest congestion, it is beneficial.
2. Rhus toxicodendron : If the blisters cause too much itching, which only gets relieved from warm baths or anything warm and is also accompanied by muscle ache and inflammation in the eyes, this remedy should be taken.
3. Belladonna : When the child feels feverish along with headache and drowsiness, this remedy is helpful in treating the condition.
4. Apis mellifica : When the chickenpox rashes cause stinging pain and itching along with redness and puffiness around them, this remedy is recommended.
5. Mercurius solubilis : When the lesions are really big, and the child drools, and perspires along with an offensive breath while sleeping, this remedy can be given.
6. Bryonia : If chickenpox is accompanied with prolonged fever along with a dry and irritating cough, this remedy is the most effective to take.
Apart from these, other homeopathic remedies, which are quite effective in curing the symptoms of chickenpox, are Pulsatilla, Antimonium crudum and Sulphur.
Preventive Measures for Chickenpox
- Don’t let yourself dehydrated; drink lots of water.
- Cut your child’s fingernails if he/she tries to scratch the blisters.
- Vaccinate your child.
- Avoid being in physical contact with the infected person, especially when the blisters break out.
- Make your immune system strong by having healthy and balanced diet.
- Take lots of rest and don’t go out.