Nasopharyngitis, head cold, acute coryza or rhinopharyngitis are the words that are synonymous with the common cold. Cold is caused due to viral infection, and it is the ailment of the upper respiratory tract that has an effect on the nose. Besides, it also affects areas, like sinuses, throat, and eyes. Surprisingly, there is still no medicine in the world that can cure the common cold. It is almost useless to consume pills during a cold as those pills can just treat a few of symptoms of cold and not cold precisely.
The main reason of cold is a virus, which can enter your body directly or indirectly through:
- Mouth, nose, or even eyes
- Coughing or sneezing
- Hand shaking
- Sharing of contaminated utensils, towels and other objects
- Runny nose
- Nose and chest congestion
- Watery eyes
- Constant sneezing
- Mild fever
- Little body ache
- Mild fatigue
- Sore throat due to chocking and accumulation of cough
- Harsh voice
- Pain, itching and irritation in the nasal passage
- Loss of appetite
- Clogged ears due to accumulation of cough
- Bad taste buds
Home Remedies for Common Cold
Below are some home remedies for cold that effectively controls the symptoms, associated with the common cold.
1. Fluids : While suffering from the cold, you should drink a lot of fluids, especially those which will make your nose clear and free from mucus. You can consume chicken clear soup or vegetable clear soup to combat the problem and lower its effects. Besides, you should drink at least 8-10 glasses of water. You can also sip chamomile tea, ginger tea, mullein tea or other herbal teas.
2. Steam Inhalation : Inhaling steam is one of the most effectual ways to get rid of a stuffy nose. It clears out the nasal passages by making the mucus of nose, runny. This remedy cures the symptoms, associated with cold. You just need to add a few drops of eucalyptus or lavender oil in 2 cups of steaming hot water. Now, bend over the bowl with your head covered with a towel. Inhale the steam at least for 4-5 minutes.
3. Blow your Nose : One of the best and hassle-free cures to get rid of cold faster is to blow your nose regularly. Most of the people sniffle in the mucus, which not only blocks your ears, but also makes your cold stay for a longer period. Hold one nostril while blowing mucus from the other and vice versa.
4. Salt Water : Gargle with lukewarm water with a little salt in it. Salt will relieve you from one of the symptoms of cold, i.e., the sore throat that is scratchy and itchy. Do it at least 4 times in a day for effective results.
5. Citrus Fruits : Citrus fruits, like oranges, lime, grapefruit, etc. are the best treatment for the common cold. You can also drink the juices of these fruits.
6. Steam Bath : Taking a steam bath will also benefit the whole body, including your nose and throat. It will moisturize and soothe your body and its parts, giving relief in cold.
7. Menthol : Menthol has a strong aroma and is very helpful in opening up the closed nasal passage. Put some menthol drops in hot water and inhale the steam or simply put a few drops on your pillow to let the strong aroma enter the nose and do its job.
8. Extra Pillow Below Head : When you are experiencing cold and that too with a stuffy nose, sleep with an extra pillow under your head as this will elevate your head a little more, thus, preventing nose from getting congested.
9. Saline Nasal Drops : It is the mixture of water and salt and sprayed inside the nose as drops. It clears out the nasal blockage due to mucus, thus relieving the patient.
You can also fill saline nasal solution in the neti pot. Put the solution in one nostril, it will flow out through the other nostril, giving immense relief in swelling and inflammation in the nose, caused due to cold.
10. Honey : Honey is warm in nature and hence, it is quite effective in treating the cold, since ages. Take a tablespoon of honey and heat it for a few seconds. Put a pinch of black pepper and consume it for quick and effective results. Black pepper will relieve you from sore throat as well.
You can also mix fresh lemon juice in honey to speed up the healing process. The antioxidants and Vitamin C present in fresh lemons strengthens the immune system, thereby helping you to get over a cold.
11. Vitamin Pills : It is also advisable to consume vitamin and mineral pills regularly while having cold to make your body immune towards cold. Plus, it adds more strength to your body to fight infections.
12. Garlic : Garlic is a good herbal remedy for fighting against cold. You can prepare garlic tea for quick relief. Crush 2-3 garlic cloves and add them to 2 cups of boiling water. Simmer it for 10-15 minutes. Strain and cool it to mouth temperature. Now, add a squeeze of lemon juice, a pinch of cayenne pepper and raw honey.
13. Red Onion : Peel a red onion and cut them into slices. Now, place these onion slices in a bowl and coat them with honey. Put it in the refrigerator for a night. Eat it in the morning. It is a natural cure for cold.
Note- Onion should be kept in the refrigerator as it absorbs bacteria when put in the air.
14. Vicks VapoRub : Massage your chest, back and neck with Vicks VapoRub. It will provide you relief from cold and nasal congestion. It’s also a good remedy for head cold and chest cold.
15. Homemade Decongestant : Take a little oil in a pan. Saute minced onion in it. Now, mix 1 cup of vinegar in it. To prepare a thick paste, add cornmeal to it. Put the paste in a muslin cloth and cover it. Apply it on your chest and throat area. Cover with a blanket or towel. Let it stay for 12-15 minutes.
Homeopathic Remedies for Cold
1. Aconitum : This one is effective if the patient has developed cold due to dry and cold weather. It works great if consumed during the first 24 hours of the cold attack.
2. Allium cepa : This one works well against symptoms, like red and watery eyes, burning and irritation in the nasal area. It is also effective for treating congestion and headache.
3. Natrum mur : This is meant for patients having a burning sensation in eyes along with watery discharge. It is a good homeopathic remedy for children and also alleviates the symptoms, such as thick white mucus and chronic nasal congestion.
4. Pulsatilla : It is given to the patients that experience a bland nasal discharge that is without any burning or itchy sensation. It is effective for symptoms, like greenish or yellowish mucus from the nose.
Other homeopathic medications that are also quite effective are: Nux vomica, Natrum mur, Calcarea carb, Arsenicum, Belladonna, Euphrasia, Gelsemium, etc.
- Always wash your hands before touching eyes, nose, and mouth through which, virus can enter your body quite easily.
- Use paper towels to dry your hands and throw them away after use.
- Avoid getting close to people physically if they have cold, and also in case, if you are suffering from cold.
- While sneezing, cover your face with a handkerchief or tell a person suffering from cold to do so.
- Always clear and clean stuffy nose as it will serve as a preventive measure from further deterioration.
- Avoid smoking, especially during the period of your cold as smoking may congest your air passage more and worsen the condition.
- Always keep surroundings clean, especially if someone on your household is affected from the problem.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle, like proper and healthy eating habits and proper timings of sleeping and waking up.
- Don’t share utensils and towels with the infected person.
- The immune system of those people, who take more emotional stress, is weak, and they are at more risk to catch a cold. So, control your stress.