Fingernail fungus can be downright terrifying to not only see, but also experience. Scientifically known as tinea unguium or onychomycosis, fingernail funguses are quite common as far as nail infections are concerned. This type of infection can occur on both your fingernails and your toenails and covers around 6-8% percent of the entire adult population. Some of the reasons that cause fingernail fungus are included but not limited to genetics, abundant perspiration, former nail injuries and various health conditions (AIDS, diabetes, problems concerning circulation etc.) Ladies should not forget that acrylic nails are also known to present a high risk of developing this fungus. Just a quick google images search will show you pictures that will surely make you think twice before choosing artificial nails. I personally had to deal with a close family member who developed fingernail fungus simply by not wearing gloves while using strong cleaning products. Believe me, it was not pleasant. The situation can get embarrassing, painful and all-around nasty pretty fast, so you will need to take extra care in treatment. We know that this is a very common problem for individuals, so we have decided to put together a list of home remedies for fingernail fungus that will definitely save you a lot of money that you would have spent on a laser treatment.
You will soon discover some awesome oils that are 100% organic and safe to use on infected nails, as well as some other super hero solutions that will completely kill fingernail fungus. We have avoided branded solutions such as Vicks Vapor Rub, because we want to offer natural remedies you can make at home. We will start off with the oils and work our way down from there.
1. Olive Oil & Salt
Our first alternative contains two key ingredients that can basically be found in your kitchen anytime. You simply take some table salt and olive oil and stir them together until the oil is absorbed by the salt. Just put a little amount on every suffering nail two times a day and repeat until the fungus is completely gone. This is a super easy cure that will give you fast and fantastic results.
2. Tea Tree Oil
Like many other home remedies, tea tree oil is an outstanding ingredient that can help you get rid of countless conditions in a safe and natural way. It is well known as being an excellent cure for fungus and has great antiseptic properties.
If you start developing fingernail fungus symptoms, just take some tea tree oil and dab it on the affected nail. You can also choose to cover a cotton pad or ball in the oil and rub it on your nail or nails.
Moreover, you can carefully scrub the area with a soft toothbrush, but make sure to throw it away afterwards, as fingernail fungus is contagious.
Another alternative involving tea tree oil is mixing it with olive oil and applying it to the nail. Do this two times a day and sit back while you enjoy the results in a short period of time.
3. Lavender Oil
Our third fungus fighter is the lovely lavender oil. It is also packed with antiseptic properties and can help transform green or black infected nails into perfectly clean beauties. Take some lavender oil and heat it a bit in a microwave oven so that it doesn’t become too hot, and then apply it to your nails with the help of a cotton ball. Keep the cotton in place for a couple of minutes each day until the fungus disappears and you can enjoy your healthy nails once again.
4. Coconut Oil
This is yet another yummy solution that really can be a miracle worker for a long period of time. Coconut oil is an exceptional home remedy thanks to its awesome antibacterial and antifungal properties. Get some pure coconut oil and rub it on your fingers and nails as often as you can. You will soon see that this fragrant solution heals both the nails and the nail bed.
5. Orange Oil
As you probably have already noticed, this list is getting ever more appetizing. Orange oil is straight up extraordinary if you want to counter fingernail fungus. Just like the oil from tea tree leaves, orange oil is a super hero fungicide that has proven to be a great form of natural medication for your nails. Get some pure orange oil and lather it both on top and under the fingernail. You can also try mixing it with tea tree and olive or grapeseed oil and letting the mixture dry naturally on your nails.
6. Oregano Oil
Our final type of oil that is wonderful for treating fingernail fungus is oregano oil. Believe it or not, it’s full of antibacterial, analgesic, antiseptic, anti-parasitical and antiviral properties that will heal the infection and leave you with nails worthy of magazine photos. All you need is two drops of oregano oil and 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Stir them thoroughly and use a cotton ball or dropper to apply the result on your fingernail. Repeat 1 time each day for around three to four weeks for the remedy to take effect.
7. Lemon Juice
Lemons are certainly one of our favorite types of fruit for quite a lot of reasons. When it comes to treating fingernail fungus, the citric acid that lemons contain protects your other nails from becoming infected. Also, it has awesome antiseptic and antifungal properties that have proven to be very efficient each time. There are two main ways you can use lemon juice to cure fingernail fungus:
- Fresh – Squeeze a lemon and apply the juice on the nail or nails that are affected. It’s best to leave it for about fifteen minutes before rinsing your hands with lukewarm water. Be sure to pat the area carefully and repeat the process every day for approximately one month.
- With Olive Oil – Mix up some equal amounts of olive oil and lemon juice and gently massage the fingernails suffering from fungus. Let the mixture sit in and repeat as frequently as possible.
- Bonus: Lemongrass Oil – This remedy has a wonderful scent that will also help with the rather unpleasant smell of infected nails. Due to its antiseptic and antimicrobial properties, lemongrass oil applied 3 times per day will guarantee a quick and healthy recovery.
8. Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
This acidic home remedy wards off bacteria and prevents other areas from infection. We have recommended it in the past and we will certainly do so in the future as well for a great amount of purposes. You can use this solution in two ways:
- Spray – Take one tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar and one cup of water and put them both into a spray bottle. Spraying under your fingernails each night before you go to bed will help them heal and regain their natural beauty.
- Diluted – Get an equal quantity of apple cider vinegar and water and apply on your nails for roughly half an hour. Practice makes perfect, so do it every day and don’t forget do dry the area well after each soak session.
9. Mouth Wash
One of the most common remedies for fingernail fungus is mouth wash. Many individuals fighting the infection use various types of mouth wash for healing, by soaking the infected fingernail(s) for around fifteen minutes every day until the condition completely disappears. It is an efficient alternative due to the high level of alcohol that serves as a fantastic antiseptic. If you’re searching for a certain brand, Listerine should be just fine.
10. Baking Soda
This is one of the most accessible home remedies for battling fungus on fingernails. It works amazingly both for treating and preventing future infections in two main ways:
- Baking Soda & Water – Thoroughly wash your hands with lukewarm water and soap and pat the infected area dry with a clean towel. Mix baking soda with water until you obtain a pasty substance and apply it on the whole nail with the help of a cotton ball. Wait for around fifteen minutes and then rinse, repeating the steps twice a day until full recovery. Take note that the entire healing process can take anywhere from a couple of days to two weeks and also involves the “bad” nail falling off, so you don’t need to worry.
- Baking Soda & Vinegar – Get 1 cup of apple cider or white vinegar and stir it well with water. Soak your nail or nails in for approximately fifteen minutes and then pat the area dry with a paper towel. Just right after, take a few tablespoons of baking soda and add that to water so you can once again soak for 15 minutes. The reason for using both solutions is that one attacks the infection (vinegar) and the other offers protection (baking soda).
11. Do-It-Yourself Scrub
We love making homemade scrubs, so that’s why we have a great mix for fingernail fungus ready for you. You are going to need:
- ½ cup of baking soda
- ½ cup of Epsom salt
- ¼ cup of hydrogen peroxide
- ¼ cup of white vinegar
- 4 cups of hot water
After mixing all the ingredients you can either soak your nails in a bowl or apply individually with a cotton ball. No matter which method you choose, make sure your nails come into contact with the mixture for roughly ten minutes and that you repeat the process two times each day.
Which of our home remedies for fingernail fungus do you like the most? Is there a certain one that has proven to be efficient for your condition? Drop us a line in the comment section and don’t forget to stay healthy!